• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 1155 mb needed! Please offer suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

So I have a Dell vestro with an i5 2400 and 8 gigs ddr3 ram in it. I recently purchased a new case and power supply for it to swith in an extra r9 290 for my nephews to game on but found out after that the base dell mb doesn't support newer graphics cards in its pcie slot (damn u dell).

So I need to upgrade the mb now as well. Not a big deal but I would rather not spend more than 50-70$ on it y only requirement is it has to have 4 ram slots and support the r9 290 (which should not be a big deal I would think).

What would the mighty forums suggest for this humble gaming build? I have been looking on ebay but so many options I am not sure which is good and what is just setting me up for failure.

Can you post the manufacturer/model of the inside of the case? Also, for the PSU.

The case is an alienware Arora case I bought from a friend who has had it from a few year ago, power supply is a 600w thermaltake bronze I bought from best buy on sale. I know the card and power supply is fine because I had them both hooked up with the vid card running on an old core 2 quad system that worked fine but was kinda slow (hence upgrading to the i5 2400)

Last edited:
I wonder why the cared wouldn't work in the existing motherboard. Theoretically it should but occasionally you get a quirky incompatibility problem like that. Have you tried another video card in that same motherboard PCi-e slot?

I have, I tried an old 5770 and it worked fine. From my own searching it sounds like some sort of bios issue. The mb is a DH67M01 if your up to looking but I am pretty sure at this point it's not worth it. It's on the latest bios.

As for the case I am not sure how to post pics up here but it's a full tower case, size isn't an issue. It looks like this
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2006/01/alienware_aurora7500/1.jpg
The 7500 Aurora case. It's pretty nice, reminds me of old school antecs from back in the day. (Probably is now that I think about it).

Also I have tried running it all outside the case just to make sure it wasn't a case of something shorting out, no go.

What I'm trying to see is the layout of the motherboard, Dell frequently uses non standard form factors in their desktops.

I like that one except the shipping is from Hong Kong and if I ordered it today I would get it sometime between January and February. That's longer than I am willing to wait. :(

That actually looks good. I feel it would be a safer choice than ebay. Plus if I didn't like it I can return it to the store. My only concern there is its actually sold by Altatac, and from the reviews on them as a company (a lot of negative reviews on newegg about slow shipping and wrong items from that company) I will have to think about it.

What do you folks think about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DZ68D...039749?hash=item58e5885745:g:75EAAOSwawpXvfaL

Last edited:
Good catch. From what I can gather the difference us q77 only has 1 pcie 16x slot but supports vt-d where z77 has 2 pcie 16x slots and doesn't. Not that I am going to use vt-d or crossfire/sli or overclock so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Q77 it is, I shall let everyone know how it go's.

Back