• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sold 4790k..person claims it wont post. Is it his motherboard ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Sold my WORKING 4790k on ebay for $250 and figures the guy who bought it is claiming it wont post.. wont even beep. I packed the cpu in its original box and original everything, the cpu worked just fine for me as you guys know i delidded it got it to 4800mhz but i decided to just upgrade my whole pc instead.

His motherboard is a Gigabyte GA Z97 HD3, He says hes using the F9 bios. My motherboard was a Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming sniper. Frankly between this guy and someone who bought a car part causing me a bunch of greif "i sell used car parts on ebay" im about to just tell him to send it back as i dont want to deal with his whining bs, because i garuntee when i put it back in my motherboard itll post and when it does im going to go ape on the guy. Unless HE dmged it

Also should be mention he is using liquid metal on the cpu.. Despite me putting nail polish on the resistors.. I honestly dont think i need to send this guy a refund when hes using conductive liquid metal on the core like this. But hey whatever. He went from a 4690k to my 4790k and i think the non posting is something with his motherboard not my cpu

Last edited by a moderator:
see if he can send you a high res pic of his socket, see if he removed the cpu retainer bracket, I've seen people do this, also look for bent pins in his socket.

If a 4690k works now, a 4790k should. I like the idea of a pic of the socket...

I dont see the relevance of the tim used unless you sold him a cpu without the ihs???

Id ask for it back and give him a refund. Welcome to ebay. No sense in going 'ape'... :)

Last edited:
This is why I stick to forums for re-sales. In general, a lot fewer headaches and people tend to know which way is up when installing components.

Another part of the equation is his eBay rating. Is he new? Does he have a bad rating or a history of returning things? If he's got a few hundred ratings and 100% positive, is probably safe to say that he is trying in earnest. If he has 2 ratings or a 75% positive, or something along those lines, you might want to be more suspicious.

Do you still have the serial number of the CPU before you sent it?

Good point, the buyer "modified" the original part. That should void any responsibility on your part. BUT knowing E-Bay/Paypal, if he pushes you'll get screwed

Yeah, if he actually reapplied the new TIM under the IHS, then he modified it. If its just TIM on top of the IHS, then it really doesn't matter a lick.

He put liquid metal on the cpu die.. And i have like 6 pics of the cpu.ihs and the die before i mailed it out.. So if there is obvious dmg or burn marks or what not ill know he fried my cpu.. but a short im not sure. I used liquid metal on it but it ran fine. lol i even have posts here of it working fine remember earthdog ? This guy clearly have 3 or 4 emails to me saying he used liquid metal and plans to use liquid metal when he gets it

Its really iritating cpu i know for a 100000000% fact the cpu worked.. like i said i made posts here asking if i should upgrade the cpu lol and i mentioned selling it.. i even have pics of it being at 4800mhz and 5ghz post.. So i find it odd how takeing the cpu out of the socket.. putting it inside the original plastic retainer thing and back into the original intel blue bix with the heatsink that it suddenly just (died) or wont work..

And yes the guy is new on ebay he has 2 ratings.. I have sold over 10,000$ worth of stuff on ebay in the last year or two with a 100% rating .

Glad that is now clear...he modified the thing before he tested it. I have a funny feeling you are still screwed though.

Its stories like this that keep me far away from ebay and only selling at forums like OCF and other similar.

eBay and PayPal will side with the buyer no matter what happens. I've found this out the hard way with a $400 PC case that shipped and the buyer declined insurance.
Ever since I've only sold measly crap on eBay that I don't care if it is a write-off.

Not all the time. Ive had issues with 3 or 4 people in the past and i won every case.. even got their baseless negative reviews removed.

Well see what happens.. Im still habing hope that once i get it back itll post on my motherboard and that his mobo is just having issues.. Alot of google searching has showrd that motherboard of his having random no post issues with 4790k cpus.

Ebay is hell and their fees are stupid.. sold 10k$ in car parts.. So do the msth 10% ebay fee 3% paypal ive had 1300$ stolen from me.. Yes i call their rediculous fees theft.. but its much easier and wuicker to sell on ebay and you can get alot more money on ebay then forums. Well see..

If im out a 4790k and 250$ ill be flipping angry as hell... but whateber ill fight it and see if i win

Sorry to hear that, man. That sucks.
Maybe he didn't reset his bios before putting new chip in?:shrug:
Subscribed

He said he did.. and i found the prior revisions of the bios and he claimed he flashed and tried em.

The cpu just wont post.. Either that board is having issues hes using or he damaged my cpu using liquid metal on it

He mailed it out today.. He said he left thermal grizzly non conductive paste on the ihs and core so i dont need to clean it i can just put it in my pc..

Lol yea i said ima clean it first and look at the core.. Ive seen fried cpu cores back in the athlon xp days so ill know what to look for if thats what happend.

Gonna check for chipped corners and a cracked die too.. I still have this odd feeling that the cpu is fine and it just wouldnt post on his motherboard.. I think there was a compatability issues going on... But well see in 2 or 3 days when i get it

Before you crack it open again, I'd drop it in your board first. If it doesn't work, then I would crack the lid. I hope it works and you can re-sell the thing.

Next time, try here or TPU or OCN or something. Less chance of stupid things like this happening.

The lid isnt sealed he left it open lol so im deff take it off and clean it to check.. He seems to stupid to use silicone to close the lid like i did

If he left it open then it would be his fault plain an simple. Your responsibility for anything would technically be over. It on him at this point.

eBay and PayPal will side with the buyer no matter what happens.

Ebay doesn't care about the occasional little seller, they will allow buyers Carte Blanche to abuse the system. The large scale sellers are afforded the means to do higher transaction volumes, and are able to absorb the cost of buyer returns.

Back