• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stability Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4+0 doesn't work because Zen+ uses 2 compute complexes (CCX). The 8 core versions use 4 cores per CCX, the 6 core has one disabled on each. The number on each side of the CCX refers to the number of cores enabled per CCX, so the maximum possible for your CPU is 3+3. Neither side can go over that.

Here are the results of my testing

The following test have been complete using the latest 'beta' BIOS (7B79vAE1) for my board (MSI X470 GAMING PLUS)

1. Test 1 stick in slot 2: stable
  2. Test 1 stick in slot 4: stable
    • Repeat Test 1 and 2 with the other stick: stable
  3. Test 2 stick using slots 2 and 4: unstable
  4. Test 2 different sticks (2133Mhz kit pulled from dell PC) in slot 2 and 4: unstable
    • My sticks tested stable in the dell PC
  5. Test 2 sticks with SMT disabled: extremely unstable (freezes in under 4 minutes)
  6. Test 2 sticks with Cores disabled (2+2): stable
  7. Test 2 sticks with Cores disabled (2+2) w/ RAM OC (3466Mhz): stable (>11 hours memtest in windows)
  8. Test 2 sticks with Cores disabled (2+2) and SMT disabled: extremely unstable (freezes in under 4 minutes)

The following test have been complete using the latest 'stable' BIOS (7B79vAD0) for my board (MSI X470 GAMING PLUS)

1. Test 2 sticks with SMT disabled: extremely unstable (freezes in under 4 minutes)
  2. Test 2 sticks with Cores disabled (2+2) and SMT disabled: extremely unstable (freezes in under 4 minutes)
  3. Test 2 sticks with Cores disabled (1+1) and SMT disabled: extremely unstable (freezes in under 4 minutes)
  4. Test 2 sticks with Cores disabled (2+2): ongoing test, 2 passes complete and counting

With SMT disabled it always freezes on test 7 at about 50% on both bios version

OP, why you running memtest96 v5.01?
Any board running Ryzen is going to have UEFI bios, so v8.2 is what should be running.

it defaults to UEFI+Legacy
5.01 is the newest version
https://www.memtest.org/

My mobo as listed in my sig has the same setting "UEFI+Legacy". It boots with v8.2 on USB & away I go testing ram to my heart's content.
5.01 is the latest for legacy bios systems, that is non UEFI bioses.

Besides, one would want to test RAM with latest release because of code updates & bug fixes.

They both boot no problem, UEFI basically supports secure boot (A tool used to try to lock a system to only run windows)
why should i care if i am booting via legacy or uefi as long as it loads the boot media why should i care?
memtest86 v8.2 free does not seem to give errors for me, thought i have spent a week using memtsest86+ vs a few hours using memtest86
using memtest in windows i have managed to get 1 error detected at stock, though i have had that pass all day when the ram was OCed, so false positive?
memetest86+ seems to constantly detect a error, are results from memtest86+ even valid for this platform?

Just tried runmemtestpro, looks like it does the same thing as the ryzen calc does, they use the same exe to do mem testing, just you get more options, i do like it more than the dram calc's ui as it is more to the point
i have ran about 10 or so passes with memtest86 free and have had 0 errors
now i have moved on to overclock testing
testing 3533 CL 16-17-17-36 1.4v
i tried cranking the fclk to 1900 but it looks to hurt performance, it did not crash with a hour of adia64 stress testing (I can't say my ears enjoyed that)
I put the system in a DIY 'case' to keep the cats out of it and the dell high static pressure fan is loud af
a few minutes ago i realized i forgot t clear cmos button, i'll add that when i need to use that feature

After updating to bios version 7B79vAE and using some Ballistix BLS2K8G4D32AESEK memory, it seems to no longer fail in memtest86+
thus far it has completed test 7 12 times in the 11 hours and 40 minutes it has been running, i need to test the other kit of ram to see if is cause it is micron rev e r if it is the bios update that made the issue disappear

Back