• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for replacement of Windows 7 Photo Viewer & other photo editor??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

Suggestions for replacement of Windows 7 Photo Viewer & other photo editor??????

I have downloaded at least 10 different viewers and all of them I don't like, because they are missing similar functionality like viewer.:bang head:bang head

For example, some of them try to open videos, but can't, if one exists in the folder, even when you turn off the function and only allow photos.
or
Mouse scroll flips through pictures instead of zooming
or
function tabs missing in the menu, like F11 full screen doesn't work and no icon to do it quickly.
or
or rotation menu is in a drop down instead of an icon.

I have to say, for as much as I don't really like MS they actually did a nice job for user friendly photo viewer. :bang head

Menus are not customizable with any of them, I have tired, but to no avail. I have been tinkering with this now for about 3 months.

Also... I am looking for a replacement software for the other picture viewer that was available in Win 7, forgot the name now, but that one allowed for fast cropping, fast resizing, etc. The top was red if I remember, and had a different name than the one above I am talking about. One was for viewing, one was for minor editing. They both were fast and not bad. I have installed right now Irfanviewer, I don't like it. I have honeyviewer installed also, I don't like it. I have had some others and I removed them...

Suggestions?

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/#downloads

View attachment XnView.zip

XnView 2.49.3

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Start the program once (to create a settings folder).

Default buttons are saved in the default.bar file.
Settings can be saved in xnview.ini file.
[Options > System integration > Save options: SELECT: as INI in folder User]

They are located in

"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\XnView"

Which is a link to
C:\Users\[Name of User Account]\Application Data\XnView
or
C:\Documents and Settings\[Name of User Account]\Application Data\XnView\
or
C:\Users\[Name of User Account]\AppData\Roaming\XnView\

Tools > Options > Toolbar > Old Toolbar

Suggested buttons:
Browser, Save as, Crop, Rotate, Quick Slide Show, Fullscreen, Print, Scan, Vertical Flip, Horizontal Flip, Zoom out, Zoom in, Previous File, Next File

Suggested buttons Browser: everything except: Convert, Create Contact Sheet, Options, About

Tools > Options > Keyboard/Mouse > Mouse wheel > Previous/Next file

Tools > Options > Read/Write > Read TAB > PNG > CHECK: Compose image with alpha (32bits)

Tools > Options > Browser > File List > UNCHECK: AI, PS, PDF files

Tools > Options > Associations > SELECT: View as Extension > .bmp .gif .giff .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pbm .png .tif .tiff

Tools > Options... > View > Misc TAB > UNCHECK: Play movie and Play sound [to preview pictures only.]
Tools > Options... > View > Fullscreen > UNCHECK: Show information

Tools > Options... > System Integration > UNCHECK: Add 'Browse with XnView' to context menu

Open one picture > Edit > Background Color > Choose white as the color that is visible after only a part of a picture is deleted.

File > Print > Header / Footer TAB > UNCHECK: Footer > Print
Layout TAB > Picture collection > CHECK: Multiple images per page > Cancel
File > Print > Page layout > Single - Best Fit to Page > Cancel
[to retain these defaults]

Delete keys to remove the right click menu if you accidentally installed it:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Browse with XnView
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\Browse with XnView

To Batch Convert:
XnView Browser > Select Folder > CTRL+A to add all files > Tools > Batch Processing >
Select Output Directory > (lower left corner) Go

If transparency is lost after resizing the image,
before resizing, go to XnView > Image > 32-Bits.

Sorry I forgot to reply. You know, I actually downloaded this one at the beginning but did not use it or set it up as you described so I ended up not using it. Only after installing it again I found that I already had one version on my computer. I am not really sure what is the difference between the two versions. I will test it out and see how it goes. It seems more complex and more complete then I probably need, but some icons are a bit small and the menus are not as customizable as I want, but it sure looks a whole lot better than the other garbage I downloaded. Cheers man and thanks!

do you just want the older photo viewer in win 10?

View attachment 211184

download the attachment, change .txt to .reg and click to run.

I did originally, but I think it was sort of a pain to get back even though it is still in Win 10. There were two photo viewers in Win 7, but I forgot the names of both of them off hand.

The file you sent, where is it from? Any malware inside? Easy to install without crashing my system?

no malware, just rename it to photoviewer.reg and double click it.
are you refering to ms paint also?

no malware, just rename it to photoviewer.reg and double click it.
are you refering to ms paint also?

I have paint.. There were two others. One was the viewer, where you click a picture and it opens it up, you just view. and another one was a simple editor where you could crop pics, resize them etc. But both from Microsoft.

What is the file you sent going to do? It seems to be a registry file and I read by doing this sort of thing you could corrupt the registry.

Last edited:
It will make A few registry tweaks and make photo viewer available to you.
it has not corrupted A registry the many times I have used it.

I only remember paint and photo viewer and using gimp.

Last edited:
Back