• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Freezing at Stock Clock Speed!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I run 2.4 at 5:4 it shuts down and locks up. Should up I the Ram voltage and run at 2.4 with 5:4?

Neo

neovalentine said:
Huh? When I took that screen pic I had set it to Auto detect then went in and under clocked it to 185. That's all.

Ok you got the wrong end of the stick i just though all 2.4c's has a fsb of 133 but i am wrong if they have 200 fsb versions.

Do you have the GAT stuff set to be safe? disable all the ones with a disable option and set the rest to auto.

This is the specs on the processor I have.

Retail
# Intel Pentium 4 Processor
# 2.4 GHz Clock Speed
# 800-MHz system bus
# Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
(Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting HT Technology and a HT Technology enabled chipset, BIOS and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use.)
# 512-KB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
# mPGA-478 (Socket 478) form factor
# Featuring the Intel NetBurst microarchitecture
# Compatible with existing Intel® Architecture-based software
# Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) Instructions
# Intel® MMX™ media enhancement technology
# Integrated caches include 12-K micro-op trace cache and 8-KB L1 data cache in addition to L2 cache memory

bandit390 said:
Do you have the GAT stuff set to be safe? disable all the ones with a disable option and set the rest to auto.

Huh? I know I have all my safety things set to Disable. Like system shutdown and what not.

Statik said:
what happens if you try 3:2?

As of right now it's working. I'm at work right now, won't be home till 3:15 Pacific time. I'll try that when I get home.

Statik said:
um, are we missing that he wrote that he has pc2700 ram. that mean ddr 333... which mean it should run stock at 166 fsb. he is trying to run it at 200...

ANY ONE ELSE SEE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!!

you are trying to run pc2700 ram at pc3200 speeds. if you up the voltage to the ram and maybe loosen the timings, you might get 200 on that ram, but i doubt it.

you are trying to run stock, but if you run the proc at stock, then you are massively oc'ing the ram. other option it to lower the ratio. no more 1:1. try 5:4. that should give you about 160 for the ram if you run at stock 200. then you even have a little oc'ing room.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see if trying at 185, but this is still a bug oc for that ram. try a ratio of 5:4. that should do it for you i am thinking. you are just (accidently, not intentionally) trying to oc the ram too much without extra voltage or looser timings.

Should I just get a gig of PC3200 Ram then?

As of right now I assume it's still on at home downloading something... Probably Games...

It's 2.5XX GHZ
3:2
Vcore is 1.575 (I think)
Agp Voltage was upped to 1.6

I think.... I'll take a screen pic when I get home.

Neo

Well I don't wanna spend too much money but I'm not sure what Ram the IS7 can use properly. I lost my Manual. If there's something better that's not way to much more I'd get it.

Neo

if you can get it to run fine with a lower ratio, that's cool to, but personally... i'd prefer it to run synchronous (1:1). cause with a lower ratio you won't quite get all you can get out of the ram either. rma the pc2700 ram if you can for at least pc3200 imho...

neovalentine said:
Huh? I know I have all my safety things set to Disable. Like system shutdown and what not.

No, not that stuff, the stuff at the bottom of the memory timings page. If I set any of them from anything other than what I just described my system becomes unstable.

2.4C, 12x Multi, 200FSB.... Think thats all been been covered.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the board.
CPU Voltage should be anywhere from 1.5V to 1.55V for the 2.4C's (I have a 1.55V M0 Chip) for the stock voltage
AGP/PCI set to 66/33 Fixed
Bump AGP voltage up to 1.6V
Bump Ram voltage up to 2.6V or 2.7V and 2.8V if nessisary
CPU/Ram Divider 3:2 or 5:4 Higher the better but due to the slower ram if you plan to OC you might need to drop it to the 3:2.

Ram Timings 2.5-4-4-8 (higher the timings the slower the ram gets, tighter is better if it can handle it, just work at getting it stable though)
The first 3 GAT options turn to Auto
The last 2 GAT options turn to Disabled

Usually if you got a later model 2.4C they OC to 3.0Ghz without any issues usually with little to no voltage bump. Anything above that is fair game to where teh CPU will go.

bandit390 said:
No, not that stuff, the stuff at the bottom of the memory timings page. If I set any of them from anything other than what I just described my system becomes unstable.

I'll look at that when I get home.

yeah, what you are doing now is running the fsb at about 210. that means with the ratio about 140 for your ram. it's stable here because you are now running ram rated at 333MHz (166FSB x 2 ram multiplier) and your proc rated at 200FSB at around 210 (very slight overclock, easily managed). everything should run fine here.

... as opposed to before where you were running 200 fsb for both. now for the proc, that is normal stock. but for the ram, it is about a 20% oc, a pretty high oc for ram.

do you see where i am going with this? with the 3:2 ratio, i would think that you should be able to push it up to around 250fsb and still be okay FOR THE RAM. that might start pushing your proc though.

so, do you follow me neo?

BTW, im am also using a 2.4C on an IS7 with PC2700
Am running it at 248fsb with 1.575 vcore though.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to bump this little CPU to 3.0 GHZ tonight.

What do you mean by 2.4C? I always thought C meant Celeron?

Neo

C is the name for the pentium northwood chips with 800fsb.
When you start overclocking dont be suprised if you hit a wall right around 250. The boards hate dividers with some ram and wont go past 250 using them. Just hope you dont have a dud chip like mine, it wont go over 3ghz no matter what ram unless I send the Vcore way up.

Back