• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Freezing at Stock Clock Speed!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The C is the revision on the chip. The C is really the 200FSB and the Hyperthreading signature for the chip.

deathman's got it too... just bump up the ram voltage a bit more, and maybe chipset voltage. and you should be able to make 5:4 work for 200fsb. that should give you about 160, which should be perfectly fine for pc2700.

if it's not to much though, and you can rma the pc2700... i say just spring for the pc3200 instead.

Statik said:
if it's not to much though, and you can rma the pc2700... i say just spring for the pc3200 instead.

Yes if it can't deal with 160Mhz FSB for ram then its not good ram. Definatly RMA it then. I had ram like that once, wouldn't hit 166Mhz, wouldn't hit 150Mhz, so sold it off and got newer ram, worked like a charm, and of course the ram today is running at PC3200 speed with issues on a different model board.

Statik said:
yeah, what you are doing now is running the fsb at about 210. that means with the ratio about 140 for your ram. it's stable here because you are now running ram rated at 333MHz (166FSB x 2 ram multiplier) and your proc rated at 200FSB at around 210 (very slight overclock, easily managed). everything should run fine here.

... as opposed to before where you were running 200 fsb for both. now for the proc, that is normal stock. but for the ram, it is about a 20% oc, a pretty high oc for ram.

do you see where i am going with this? with the 3:2 ratio, i would think that you should be able to push it up to around 250fsb and still be okay FOR THE RAM. that might start pushing your proc though.

so, do you follow me neo?

I think your saying with the 3:2 setup I can kick it up to 250 FSB which would be like 3.0 GHZ? I dunno I failed math alot...

and i agree with deathman, if it won't run at 5:4 with stock 200 fsb, then you got bad ram and you should rma it if possible. you could try pushing the fsb to around 250 at 3:2. then you would have close to your 166 for the ram and if it is unstable then, then my vote is bad ram.

exactly neo... you would have about 3.0GHz, but more importantly, you would have your 166fsb (through the ratio) for the ram, giving you the stock speed of 333Mhz for the ram.

... try this when you get home. 5:4 ratio, with about 205 fsb if possible (somewhere between 205 and 210), vcore at 1.575V, ram voltage at 2.6V. this should give you almost stock for the ram, and a very slight oc for the proc. from this you will be able to tell if the ram is even good at stock speed without pushing the proc to far. if you try it at 3:2, then you might risk pushing the proc to far and be throwing that into the mix. we want to isolate the ram for the moment, so try what i gave you above. that leave the proc at a very happy place to test the ram.

sorry, neo, i think we are posting at the same time.... haha

okay, you could try to run at 3.0Ghz, but i wouldn't suggest it YET. that is a fairly high oc for that proc and it might be unstable. if it is unstable, then we wouldn't be able to tell if the ram is the problem or not. try the settings that i gave you in my previous post. that will give you a very stable proc speed to see if the ram is the issue ( if it will run at stock speed).

Ok guys. I thought that the mem test, tested the Ram. It did 6 passes without an error. What exactly was I running?

Thanks again for putting up with my dumb questions. Funny as this seems I'm the IT Desktop support for Lockheed Martin in Sunnyvale yet some of this stuff still baffles me. You guys have been extremely helpful.

that tests for most ram problems, just to generally see if you have bad ram. it looks like it is okay, at least at whatever you were running it at...

do you see what i am saying though neo? we need to isolate testing the ram for issues, so if you run the proc at a safe speed, then it won't affect the outcome. so my settings given a few posts ago will give right around stock for everything to see if it even works at stock. see what i mean?

so, to recap... try 5:4 ratio, 205fsb, 1.575 Vcore, 2.6 ram voltage.

that should be just over (but still very stable) stock for the proc and right around stock for the ram. this will tell you if the ram runs at what it is rated. if it doesn't... rma it for newer ram, and get pc3200. if it does run, you can either still rma it, or just try to work with that ram from there and run it asynchronous.

Ok I'll try those setting when I get home. I'll post results tonight... That or my reciept for new ram.

Statik said:
bandit, what ratio are you running, 3:2? cause 248 fsb is VERY improbable with pc2700 ram at 1:1... that means you are running it @ DDR500 SPEEDS!!!!! 250 at 3:2 though would give you 166 though...

Yes im running 3:2, I did buy a stick of PC4400 to see if I could overclock higher using 1:1, didnt work though.

bandit, you might wanna try the same if you wanna try to get a bit of an oc out of the ram too. try running 5:4 and pushing the fsb. you might not be able to get the proc back up to 3.0GHz (because of ram limitations) but if the ram is going faster and you get close to 3.0Ghz, that might be just as good or even better. just a suggestion.

Back