• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Task scheduler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Is it possible to have the task scheduler, if so please assist with how to set this up.

This would be on XP
1. log user off
2. log admininstrator on
3. run batch command (batch command automatically reboots PC)
5. log local user back on

option 2 Windows 7
1. log user off
2. log administrator on
3. Run disk cleanup/defrag
4. reboot

option 3 windows xp
1. log user off
2. log administrator on
3. run disk cleanup/defrag
4. reboot

When you add the task, you can specify what account it runs under. Have the script log out other users, run whatever you need, then restart.

I use this type of setup at work to pull updates for a proprietary program.

On XP I don't know if you have the advanced task scheduler like 7 does, you might have to use the olderAT command which isn't as powerful, but you still should be able to do what you need to. And like thideras said, you can run a scheduler under any account you want to, so you don't have to log off the current user to do it.

Sidebar: In fact, I found out that on XP if you want to run the cmd prompt with Administrator privileges, but don't have an administrator password, you can use your local user command prompt to create a service that will open a command prompt. When you run that service, it opens up a command prompt as LocalService which has [some] administrator privileges.

Schtasks is the advanced schedule tasker which you can use on the command line, or you can do it through the GUI in the task scheduler.

messing with this yesterday while waiting for a reply. I found the scheduler can run elevated and you are right, they user can stay logged in. This makes those folks in finance a little less annoying :p

Back