• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Board "heatsinks"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

Y'know on a motherboard? the thing that looks or i would assume to be called a motherboard heatsink? the thing on the MSI MPOWER Z77 that says Military Class.

Yeah, can i take that off, as much as it pains me?

Why would you want to take that off, it would probably be a very bad idea to remove that as that heatsink is for the mosfets, as well as it is integrated into the heat pipe for your chipset.

Can you install the rad on the outside with modification to the case?

Removal of that heatsink would be highly unrecommended.

If you removed it, you would probably be okay if you don't OC at all since many low-end boards don't have VRM heatsinks. No guarantee of course. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

There's nothing under the heatsink that's beneath the CPU socket. So, it just cools the VRMs.

heatsinks.png

i took it off, than under advisement off a buddy of mine who builds computers for a living put it back on...

Wait...there should easily be plenty of room for a rad in the bottom section of the 900D.

Not the 900D, i was trying to get it into a Rosewill Thor V-2 White, and it wasn't working because of the board heatsinks.

Yeah, there aren't many option with the H100i. It pretty much has to go in the top... I'm guessing there's no room between the plastic top panel and the top of the case frame to put the fans?

you could put the rad against the case and put the fans on the motherbaord side and if its just a tiny bit of room you need you could trim the fan shroud on part of the fan / fans.

Are you not able to mount the rad on the top externally? It has all of the cable holes and routing to allow you to do so...

Nope, because than the fins on the top don't open, and than no air flow gets to the fan.

i've tried everyway possible, i'll just go out and buy an AZZA Genesis 9000, and save this case for another build :/

Pwnmachine: it's a closed loop or i would mount it outside of the case.

What if you mounted the radiator on the top of the case and the fans outside above it?

Tried that, if i pot them on the outside on the top of the case than the fins at the top on the top bezel don't open. and thus no air flow

Back