• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thiddy needs a case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Well, I've decided to "get rid" of my benching station and go to a case since I'm basically done with benchmarking. I've been looking around at a few cases and got an idea of what I want. There are a couple rules:
  1. Price is not a problem (to a point, no $300+ cases), but cheaper is better
  2. Size is not an issue, the bigger the better
  3. I have no problem modding (removing grills, new holes)
  4. Quiet is nice
The case MUST:
  • Be able to support full ATX
  • Take AT LEAST 4 drives, they must be actively cooled
  • If there is a door, it has to have space on the inside for my fan controller
  • Decent airflow (Cosmos is too little)
  • I don't like large fans (200mm+), they don't push much air and have horrible pressure
  • Color doesn't matter....to a point
  • Weight/material doesn't matter
I'll add more if I think of it. I'm picky...very very picky.

I have looked at:
  • CM Cosmos (too little airflow...don't really care for the design)
  • CM Stacker 830 Evolution (not bad, seriously considering)
  • Lian-Li 2000/2100 (love them, airflow is a little on the low side)
  • Gigabyte 3D Aurora (not bad)
  • Antec 900 (don't care for)
  • Antec 1200 (see above)
  • Thermaltake Armor (loved this case when I had it)
  • Thermaltake Armor PLUS (HATE, DO NOT WANT, uglier than sin)
  • Thermaltake Mozart TX (not bad)
  • Caseless (hard to carry around, easily broken components, price is a plus though)
Any input/pictures/impressions is highly appreciated. I must make a point. I do not "just go" with a case, that is why I'm doing information gathering here.

If I forgot any information or need to add anything, I'll do so.

Last edited:
UFO
Just clear out a 10' sq to plop the case down.
Thanks for the idea. While they make very nice cases, I'd rather not drop that much on one....let me check what other ones they have though.

I keep debating the Tt cube type case. Supposedly it will hold a Full ATX IIRC AND a mATX.

HTPC and Fileserver AIO!
If it could do two ATX's, I'd do it :)

Then my server would be with me at all times.

I'd buy the Stacker 830 if I was you. That was my first choice actually but the shipping costs to get it from Newegg to Stuttgart, Germany were just too high. So I had to narrow it down to what I could buy on the German economy and the Cosmos was it.

Although if you replace that 120x25mm with a 120x38mm fan, the airflow is actually pretty good. It's a pretty quiet case as well. Have you looked at the Cosmos S? Might be an option.. No door and has a 120mm fan in the front as well.

Although if you replace that 120x25mm with a 120x38mm fan, the airflow is actually pretty good. It's a pretty quiet case as well. Have you looked at the Cosmos S? Might be an option.. No door and has a 120mm fan in the front as well.
The S also has one of the huge useless fans ;)

Thanks for the input.

i love my antec 900. i know you said you arent fond of it, but it does have great airflow. i think it makes a good use of space i have 5 HDDs in mine and i could fit 3 more easily. HDDs are actively cooled. nice big fan on top keeps all the air moving, etc. i;m not a fan of huge cases.

ill throw in some pics

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

no drilling needed, just some ingenuity :)

i;m not a fan of huge cases.
LOL, I get it :) You're not a fan of big cases :D

Cable management doesn't seem to be too bad...just seems a little small...I'll reconsider it :). Thanks for the pictures!

If anyone else has pics of a case you'd suggest (with hardware installed), that would be great, it helps me figure out how much space I have to work with! gsrcrxsi's pictures are a perfect example!:beer:

Last edited:
Its not to small.
Sorry, but to me, that would be cramped. I like to have room to move my hands :)

I have a Raidmax case EXACTLY that size; it was my server...and difficult to work with.

i think youd be pretty happy with a stacker :) have you seen that stacker slacker thread at xs?
I have not :)

If you could link it, I'll check it out tomorrow at work :beer:

...or I'll use my google-fu skills

Last edited:
Back