• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to build a new dream machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INT21

Registered
My system is starting to show its age :cry: so once again it's time to start spec'ing out a new dream machine. I'll be using this machine for dev work, gaming, OC'ing, and 3d modeling, so I had to look for a build that worked will for all of my purposes.

I know a lot of these components are way overpriced at the moment; however, I'm just starting to spec out this system and once I think I have the right design and the price drops a little I'm planning on purchasing a machine to last 3 (hopefully 4) years before it becomes another file server :eek:

Comments, opinions, etc... would be grately appreciated.

CASE: 230 Lian-Li V2000B
MOBO: 410 Asus Striker Extreme
COOL: 611 dangerden - see below
DISP: 1899 30" HP
RAM: 1220 4GB Corsair
CPU: 1500 C2Q
PSU: 550 1K PC Power & Cooling
GPU: 1240 2x XFXForce 8800GTX
DVD: 100 18x Plextor
BOOT: 450 2x Raptor 150GB
DATA: 1640 4x 750GB Barracuda - see below
UPS: 765 APC SUA2200

Cooling:
270 ( 135 x 2 ) DD8800GTX
73 LGA775-TDX
131 Eheim 1260
43 Stealth GTS 120 Black Ice
31 Micro II Black Ice
32 DD Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir
28 Tygon 2603 (10')

3TB Data Drive option:
1520 ( 4x 380 ) Seagate Barracuda ST3750640AS 750GB
120 IcyDock MB454SPF-B Internal 4 Hot Swap SATA I/II HDD in 3 X 5.25 Drive Bay Aluminum Rack

I'd go for the X6800. The reviews I saw showed little gains from quad core even in apps like photoshop. The higher clocks of the 2 core chip make it a better performer.
Also I'd rather have 2 24"'s than a single....just throw in a PCI card or if you have 3+ pci-e then use that, but add a third video card to drive the other monitor as it won't be needing to do anything

wow i cant beleive you're willing to pay that much for a PC

i mean thats gonna be kickass but it's really overkill - i think you should wait around for vista a little - prices will be lower and everything

I plan to wait until the Quadro is closer to MSRP and the mobo has fallen back into normal prices.

While this machine will be overkill for gaming alone I am working on a 3ds Max, Maya, and AutoCAD designs for a long term project.

Also, I'm working on multi-threaded driver development that gives me access to Vista now. :)

Hopefully I will be able to get some of these parts at a local computer supply company that gives great discounts for my company; but the my ceiling budget is 12k monitors included.

I considered dual 24" monitors, but I'm still undecided. I have 2 20" monitors, on portrait and one landscape, setup at work. It's really nice to have the landscape monitor for coding and the portrait one for msdn, websites, mail, etc...; however, since this machine will also be use a lot for 3d design I may keep the dual screen setup reserved for the system at work and go with a larger area in one screen design for this one at my home office.

I know I've seen my share of idiots with too much money trying to buy bragging rights, and hopefully I'm not fooling myself into this camp. I've been waiting through a few technological advances before upgrading, but now I think with the introduction of the G80, the nv680 chipset, and the C2Q I think it's time to build the beast.

While I agree at this time there are only small pockets where 4 cores outshine 2 cores, part of my work is helping this to improve.

I guess the questions I have are more along the lines of:

Are these Corsair sticks really as solid as I want to belive they are?
Does anyone see a combination of components that have known compat issues?
Is the LG/Philips screen in the 30" HP the best of breed for gaming / 3d modeling at this time or is there a better component being rebranded elsewhere?

From what I've been researching this looks like a decent overclocking system, perhaps not as high of a jump compared to the lower end Core2 Duo chips but I usually OC to the limits when I 1st get a rig to see how well it goes, then run it moderately OC'd until I need to push it for speed, and then keep pushing it until it's maxxed out again and I need to build a new one. Most of the time I need stability over extreme performance so I clock as high as I can get stable for 72hrs. I guess that some of these questions aren't easy to answer until more people have had time to experiment with these parts. I just consider this board as one of the best places to look for answers that are difficult to find elsewhere.

I would recommend a different RAD setup. Doing a single 120mm RAD and a dual 80mm RAD isn't the best way to go, and certainly not for an overclocked C2Q and overclocked SLi 8800GTX's
You are also creating a whole lot of extra restriction for that loop, even further limiting the cooling potential.

I'd recommend going with any 3x120mm RAD and either modding the case to fit it internally, or just mount it on the back or top. I'm pretty sure you were going for a setup that would fit inside the case, but you'll be screwing yourself by going with that exact setup.

The Silverstone TJ-07 will fit a 3x120mm RAD internally and should still fit everything else you are look at. or The TJ-09 should also fit it all internally. The TJ09 would have to be slightly modded (meaning you'd have to drill/cut holes for the RAD fans either in the top or bottom, I'd vote top)

EDIT: Also, I'd totally go with the Dell 3007WFP instead of the HP, it's cheaper and an excellent display (perfect for gaming too)

I considered the 3x120 RAD Stealth GTS 360 and doing some case modifications to mount in on the top.

My current rig is built in the same case and I have the pump on the outside. I wasn't planning on putting the pump in the case since it's ok to submerge in water. When I am attempting high overclocks I usually submerge the pump in a container of iced water. I have cut two holes for the tubing and lined them with hard plastic.

What do you mean by extra restriction? I'm guessing that each RAD added to the loop increases flow resistance due to the change in ID of the internal tubing? I was thinking that the 1260's pressure over <=9' of tubing would make up for the reduction from the two RADs. I was going to setup the circuit as follows: pump -> dual 80 RAD -> CPU -> 120 RAD -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> RES -> pump.

Why do you think cooling the water through a 3x120 RAD would result in better thermal performance than what I was envisioning? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to learn more about efficient water flow design. :)

yeah, I believe that the GTS 360 would give better cooling performance than the other 2 RADs

Since you are going balls out on the rest of the system, you could/should go with the Thermochill PA 120.3 It's pretty much the best PC RAD you can get. Though it is more than 2x the price of the GTS, it'll give you a better chance of having a lower delta in your temps.

thats a wickid sick computer! I wish i had that. What speed ram are you using? Ever concider the OCZ FlexXLCs or w/e they are called? You can water cool the ram, which are already rated at 1150mhz i believe. PC2 9200.

Last edited:
Woah there, you definitely don't want to skimp out on the radiators like that with such an uber hardware config. Get yourself a 3X 120mm radiator like jivetrky said to make sure your cooling loop can handle all that heat.

while I'm a huge fan of the V2000B(got one, w/ phase built into it), if I were you and are planning some heavy duty water cooling, i'd go for the LianLi Cube, it's much better suited for water cooling

here's mine

great write up done here on the LianLi Cube
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1358/
;)
lianli.jpg

I'd get a E6600 and overclock it for now.. and wait untill lower clocked Q's come out and get the one with the most OC headroom for your $$.
PSU's are going to get a redesign as well, I would wait on that.

let's not forget, he said 'dream machine', and if it's the best he wants, it's the best he's listed....

maybe 4x150gb raptors in raid 0? :D

Thanks for the tip on the Lian-Li cube. I've been continuing my research and happened upon that case today. It has replaced my former choice for the case. :drool: The biggest problem I have w/my current rig using the V2000b is the 1060 pump didn't fit nicely inside the case so I had to cut holes and run the tubing externally. It's nice that I can submerge the pump and cool it for a few extra degrees when I'm going for my records, but I think I'd rather have an completly contained system this next time around.

The P348 cube has a 2x120 top plate. How would running one cooling loop w/a Thermochill HE 120.2 and a second one with the PA 160 on separate 1250s compare to making a custom 3x120 top plate and running one loop with the HE 120.3 and a single 1260 pump?

I'm curretly considering the Delta 120x38mm TFB1212GHE fans. I currently have replaced my ThermalTake fans w/Sunnon and Panaflo upgrades. I like both of these manufacturers and don't know much about Delta. The specs look rather LOUD but solid 220cfm makes this fan a nice contender for the machine.

Lower clock Qs are not in the near future and when they are out they will not be unlocked. This machine is going to be pricey, but I'm building it not only as my new replacement computer but as a dream machine ought to be so price isn't the biggest concern. I think blowing money on silly LED fans and built in cigarette lighters are lame; however, designing a system with the best that can be put together at a certain point on the technology timeline is a different story.

The HDD racks are for hot swapping. I need the ability to pull drives quickly for my dev work.

I may replace the HP monitor w/the Dell one. I have a quote out to my vendors from both companies to see who can give me a better personal purchase discount. The markup on these things are crazy. Too bad this isn't a work purchase I could save so much money :cry:

Once I'm in the purchase phase of this project I'll keep a worklog. Is there a section of the forums to post updates?

oh yeah, I have a Raptor 150X in my current rig that I'm going to pull and add to this one. I'll have 3x150 in hardware R5 and 4x750 in various hardware configs for dev work. I've been using 3ware's SATA RAID controllers for a while @ work so I'm pretty sure I'll be using the 9500s-8 for both logical drives.

Back