• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Troubles overclocking AMD 980BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm guessing TMPIN2 in HWMonitor is your CPU (socket) temp. With good aftermarket cooling the CPU temp is usually about 10c higher than core temps. At 70c it is at the cusp of being dangerously high. AMD recommends not exceeding about 70c (they are coy about whether its core temp or socket temp and tell me "either"). I would back off on the vcore a little more to shave off four or five degrees and settle for whatever overclock that will give you.

Are you running the new motherboard now? You don't really say.

What make and model case are you using? How many case fans are you employing and how is each one oriented with regard to intake/exhaust? Good case ventilation is as important as a good CPU cooler in keeping temps down.

As a courtesy to those trying to help you, you should put your system info in your "Sig". To do this, go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links and Edit Signature. You have made enough posts now to have access to this feature. You may refer to mine if you wish for a pattern. It's the stuff below the actual post.

Lol... they tell you either?

If i let it go to 70c on the cores i would be hitting 90c on the socket.

AMD really need to be clear about this, there will always be some who disable every protective feature and then push the lowest denominator to ~70 ignoring the higher passing 80c.

To often you see people on youtube and some other forums pushing there Phenom II temps past 80c.
i'm not in the habit of feeling empathy toward inanimate objects but it just makes me want to reach into my screen and slap them for what there ignorantly doing to there CPU.

Lol... they tell you either?

If i let it go to 70c on the cores i would be hitting 90c on the socket.

AMD really need to be clear about this, there will always be some who disable every protective feature and then push the lowest denominator to ~70 ignoring the higher passing 80c.

To often you see people on youtube and some other forums pushing there Phenom II temps past 80c.
i'm not in the habit of feeling empathy toward inanimate objects but it just makes me want to reach into my screen and slap them for what there ignorantly doing to there CPU.

Well, when corresponded with AMD tech they didn't exactly say "either" but were simply noncommittal. And for good reason because of exactly the reason you point out. If people are using the OEM cooler, the socket temp will usually be cooler than the core temp; if using a good aftermarket cooler, exactly the opposite. And there is always the confusion because of terminology. The program "CoreTemp" calls core temp "CPU temp" whereas most reporting software uses "CPU temp" to refer to socket temp. Then there is the issue with the Thuban and FX CPUs commonly reporting falsely low core temps because of poor calibration, I would assume. That's why I caution people to look at both core temps and CPU temps.

AMD has know way to control all these variables so they give an answer (or lack of one) that covers all the bases (and their rear ends as well).

Don't know the answer to that one. I have always been an AMD man since the 8086-8088 Intel days with a Pentium sprinkled in here and there.

Trying to work out why they are there and why not just calibrate the core temps properly, if there under reading.

I guess if your implementing a system where the CPU throttles back or shuts down at a certain temp the easiest way to do it is having a sensor on the motherboard its self and have the BIOS monitor it.

Which would explain why Motherboard software always give you readings from that sensor

Looking at this it seems Intel monitor the temps from the CPU DIE http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012552.htm
with motherboard (zones) placed around depending on the motherboard, Most mid / high end AMD motherboard have the same system, mine has one such sensor located in the center of the board to give you an approximate case temperature, although it calls it Motherboard temp.
Higher end Asus Motherboards have 4 or 5 dotted around which it calls Temp Radar to identify hot spots so it can adjust individual case fans.

It doesn't seem there is any such sensor under the socket on Intel's connected to 'CPU temp' rather it simply calls on the CPU's DIE temp.

A much better system IMHO, and takes out the confusion of what temperature the CPU is actually at, for me i would like AMD to adopt that system, having said that they would be at the mercy of there Motherboard partners to implement it, it seems there are occasions where being somewhat more dictatorial toward partners can be beneficial for everyone.

But why AMD would under calibrate there on DIE sensor still makes no sense to me, yet.

I'm guessing TMPIN2 in HWMonitor is your CPU (socket) temp. With good aftermarket cooling the CPU temp is usually about 10c higher than core temps. At 70c it is at the cusp of being dangerously high. AMD recommends not exceeding about 70c (they are coy about whether its core temp or socket temp and tell me "either"). I would back off on the vcore a little more to shave off four or five degrees and settle for whatever overclock that will give you.

Are you running the new motherboard now? You don't really say.

What make and model case are you using? How many case fans are you employing and how is each one oriented with regard to intake/exhaust? Good case ventilation is as important as a good CPU cooler in keeping temps down.

As a courtesy to those trying to help you, you should put your system info in your "Sig". To do this, go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links and Edit Signature. You have made enough posts now to have access to this feature. You may refer to mine if you wish for a pattern. It's the stuff below the actual post.
Yes I am. Running with the new Gigabyte now. I lowered the Voltage for the chip to 1.42V. Just did a 30 minute prime run and these are the temps at completion: YRD2m.png

Ninja Edit: I am using a Zalman Z9 case with 4 system fans in total. The back and top fans blow air out and the side and front suck air in. For the CPU I am using a Cool Master Hyper 212 Plus. I have it mounted so the fan blows through the heat sink and towards the top fan.

Temps are acceptable now. Fan orientation sounds correct. See if you can pass Prime95 blend for at least two hours and we'll call it stable.

Got around to the 2 hour test today. Just finished. Attached it to this post.

I also changed the command rate for the Ram from 2 to 1.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 38
Well, when corresponded with AMD tech they didn't exactly say "either" but were simply noncommittal. And for good reason because of exactly the reason you point out. If people are using the OEM cooler, the socket temp will usually be cooler than the core temp; if using a good aftermarket cooler, exactly the opposite. And there is always the confusion because of terminology. The program "CoreTemp" calls core temp "CPU temp" whereas most reporting software uses "CPU temp" to refer to socket temp. Then there is the issue with the Thuban and FX CPUs commonly reporting falsely low core temps because of poor calibration, I would assume. That's why I caution people to look at both core temps and CPU temps.

AMD has know way to control all these variables so they give an answer (or lack of one) that covers all the bases (and their rear ends as well).

On my 955 the socket temp is always lower than the core temp even with an aftermarket cooler. I just go by that when overclocking since my CPU doesn't seem to be bothered by temps much. I hit 56C in Left 4 Dead 2 today because ambient is up to 90F, and it isn't crashing. I'm sure it still would be fine even if I did some prime 95 action.

With a good aftermarket cooler the core temps usually are lower than the CPU temps, commonly by about 10c on the Athlon IIs and Phenom IIs.

ice445, you're not from KC, MO are you?

With a good aftermarket cooler the core temps usually are lower than the CPU temps, commonly by about 10c on the Athlon IIs and Phenom IIs.

No, Ohio actually. I'm curious as to why my proc follows a different "rule set" with regards to which temp is higher though.

Funny enough, AMD Overdrive reports a different temp entirely than any other program. Apparently I'm idling at around 60C most of the time :rolleyes:

Are you using the stock cooler? You didn't not put info about your cooler in your Sig and you should since that is very important. Sorry if you already stated that in a post somewhere but this thread is getting long. That's why we do Sigs.

I notice that in AMD overdrive it reports temps of 64-66 degrees during a prime run, but core temp says that the temps for all 4 cores are roughly 53-55 degrees. I figured Overdrive was just mis-reading.

I notice that in AMD overdrive it reports temps of 64-66 degrees during a prime run, but core temp says that the temps for all 4 cores are roughly 53-55 degrees. I figured Overdrive was just mis-reading.

Or more likely it's using a formula that accounts for the inaccuracy of the sensors.

AMDOD is buggy, flaky and the vets on the forum don't use it.

So I was correct in dropping it and using HWmonitor and core temp? Just making sure that's all. Are the temps good? Should I try shaving a few more degrees off? I hover 2 degrees below the 55 mark. Could I push the CPU to 4.4/4.5? I think, I'll end up somewhere around 57 degrees. Is that too high, don't bother territory?

57c for the core temp might fly. 55c is not a magic number, just an approximation of what we find from experience is about the point instability sets in. Of course, like a lot of other CPU parameters, it will vary somewhat. The core temp calibration on the Denebs is generally pretty good, unlike the Thubans.

No, Ohio actually. I'm curious as to why my proc follows a different "rule set" with regards to which temp is higher though.

Funny enough, AMD Overdrive reports a different temp entirely than any other program. Apparently I'm idling at around 60C most of the time :rolleyes:
What part of Ohio? I'm in the southeastern part.

Back