• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Troubles overclocking AMD 980BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Worth IT"? The question is asked alot about many things. You really have to be stable to try and answer such a question.

On the surface, in your situation, I would say n0.

1. > You have a good cpu and 'many' would wish their 980BE like cpus would clock where yours does with your stated voltages. BUT you may have that motherboard with a very unregulated LLC type voltage that spikes the heck out of the cpu and your voltage under load maybe much higher than we think. HWMonitor open on desktop and logging min/max temps and Volts is a better way to know for sure while running Prime95 Blend mode for at least 20 minutes. Then that HWMonitor caputered and posted to forum for examination. Need CPUz tabs for speed of cpu at the CPU tab also.

2. > 4.1Ghz at a stated 1.4Vcore is awesome if real. Temps you could live with for about $35.00. Go to $85.00 for a little cooler? $85.00 from reputable sales sites for maybe 200Mhz more? That $85.00 dollars would be worth it to me only if I was benching for posts at HWBot where every last advantage needed to be take for getting a score. In day to day use...well you have to make that last dollar decision.

3. There are other air coolers now that beat the NH-D14 for cooling. BUT they are noisier for sure.

Edit: I had looked this stuff up and forgot to post it before I saved earlier >>

TOP 5 AMD Heatsinks by Temperature

A long list of AMD coolers at FrostyTech. The thing I see is the noise level of the NH-D14 compared to other coolers.

Caution:
The NH-D14 is a big cooler that extends over the first RAM slots on most mainboards. The cooler offers sufficient clearance for all standard size memory modules, but you won’t be able to use memory modules higher than 44mm.
End Edit.
I was actually thinking of the Coolmaster one on that list. I don't have room for the H100 in my case (The rad is a smidgen too big for the top of my case. It would hit the mobo) besides that, I really don't like the idea of it. I'd have intense fear of a leak, something that appears to happen more than I really care for.

1.39 Volts in Bios gets me 4.1Ghz. CPUz says it spikes to 1.41 Volts under load. I'll run it at my 4.4Ghz overclock and log the data through HWMonitor.

This is CPUz confirming the overclock and voltages

Here they are. HWMonitor after 20 minute prime.

Attachments

• Overclockers.png
    Overclockers.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 29
  • CPUOC.png
    CPUOC.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 28
You're core temps under load are scary ! and you're giving the CPU 1.55v under load which is a bit much for 24/7 , I'm surprised you're pc did not shut down with a skt temp of 74c , the settings you are using could damage if not fry you're rig if you leave them as is

scrambler said:
I was actually thinking of the Coolmaster one on that list.

If that is the coolermaster V8 that you are now talking about and n0t the Noctua NH-D14, then I certainly would not buy that for myself. The V8 does not do much if you ever decide to go to the newer FX cpus. The D14 fairs fairly good with a hot FX-series.

You're core temps under load are scary ! and you're giving the CPU 1.55v under load which is a bit much for 24/7 , I'm surprised you're pc did not shut down with a skt temp of 74c , the settings you are using could damage if not fry you're rig if you leave them as is

They peak at 62. During the prime run it was mostly 60-61 towards the end. Makes it a little better.

I thought TMPIN2 was Northbridge temps? Don't they allow up to 80 safe operating temps?

If that is the coolermaster V8 that you are now talking about and n0t the Noctua NH-D14, then I certainly would not buy that for myself. The V8 does not do much if you ever decide to go to the newer FX cpus. The D14 fairs fairly good with a hot FX-series.
Nom the one on that list is the TPC-812 Cooler master.

I would not say for certain that tmpin2 is skt temp but if I was a betting man then I would be putting money on it, it rises at a difference of 12c (which is about the norm) from the skt temp and if I am correct "which I may not be" that will be near the thermal shut down to prevent thermal damage, unless you have disabled that option in you're bios.

I thought TMPIN2 was Northbridge temps? Don't they allow up to 80 safe operating temps?

Nom the one on that list is the TPC-812 Cooler master.

What TMPIN2 is, is actually different from board to board. With the spread from CPU Core Temp to that TMPIN2, it would appear that is the Cpu Temp not NB temp.

Will look at that TPC-812.

By the way, your temps don't panic me and make me run and turn off the power, but I have done this stuff for years and I can make estimates based on hours and hours and hours of experience.

For 24/7 use you are at a point where 4.2Ghz and the voltage needed and the overall temps is where I would run that setup. No need to purchase more parts for 24/7 use. You just don't have everything setup to run 4.4Ghz with just a cpu cooler change. At least not as I see it.

EDIT: I usually try to RE-read what I write to see if it makes anything like sense. I said 4.2Ghz is likely what I would run and you know...you know I don't think that is true on further reflection. I would likely just run 4.0Ghz and take advantage of the really, really good temps and that 1.4Vcore that you were able to use. So on a further look-see, I changed my mind. 4.0Ghz would be MY 24/7 speed. END EDIT...

Last edited:
I would not say for certain that tmpin2 is skt temp but if I was a betting man then I would be putting money on it, it rises at a difference of 12c (which is about the norm) from the skt temp and if I am correct "which I may not be" that will be near the thermal shut down to prevent thermal damage, unless you have disabled that option in you're bios.
I left it enabled in the Bios and decreased the "warning" alarm from 90 degrees to 70-80 degrees. Googling turns up a whole bunch of possibilities. Mosfets, NB, Socket.
What TMPIN2 is, is actually different from board to board. With the spread from CPU Core Temp to that TMPIN2, it would appear that is the Cpu Temp not NB temp.

Will look at that TPC-812.

By the way, your temps don't panic me and make me run and turn off the power, but I have done this stuff for years and I can make estimates based on hours and hours and hours of experience.

For 24/7 use you are at a point where 4.2Ghz and the voltage needed and the overall temps is where I would run that setup. No need to purchase more parts for 24/7 use. You just don't have everything setup to run 4.4Ghz with just a cpu cooler change. At least not as I see it.
It looks like it. I might go back to 4.1.

4.3 at 1.47. Under load it is 1.5. 6 degrees shaved off.

Attachments

• Overclockers.png
    Overclockers.png
    318.4 KB · Views: 23
Not bad man. Not bad at all. You have one of those good processors.

Now if you could get Cool N Quiet to work so it throttles way back when nuttin is going on...well you just have a good cpu is all can be said.

By the way, what bios version are you running? NO way I would be flashing a bios for anything n0w. No way. As long as you stay with that Phenom 2 980BE there is no reason to flash n0 dang bios and d0rk it up.

Not bad man. Not bad at all. You have one of those good processors.

Now if you could get Cool N Quiet to work so it throttles way back when nuttin is going on...well you just have a good cpu is all can be said.

By the way, what bios version are you running? NO way I would be flashing a bios for anything n0w. No way. As long as you stay with that Phenom 2 980BE there is no reason to flash n0 dang bios and d0rk it up.

I can always re-enable it, can't I?

Running F10. I flashed it initially from F3 to F10, to gain FX support for later on in case I come across one on an awesome sale.

The thermal tolerance for yours and my CPU is 62c (at the socket) stated by AMD, the general consensus is a bit higher than that.

Around 55c on the cores and under 70c at the socket is the highest i would let my temps go for 24/7, i do think AMD temperature tolerances are conservatively estimated as there are plenty out there running temps past 80c at the socket apparently without issue, hell there are Phenom's running those temps for years due to badly fitted or clogged up stock coolers.....

I do think AMD are airing very much on the safe side, to much, but i would still be scared to see my Core temps get to 65c and my socket reach 75c.

There is a limit somewhere, and the point at which you find it is where its expensive, so you should set yourself a limit not to much past the retail recommendation (62c) and stick with it.
AMD's can get to Intel clocks (at Intel temps) and that may well be fine but i would not like to find out the expensive way if its not a good idea

The thermal tolerance for yours and my CPU is 62c (at the socket) stated by AMD, the general consensus is a bit higher than that.

Around 55c on the cores and under 70c at the socket is the highest i would let my temps go for 24/7, i do think AMD temperature tolerances are conservatively estimated as there are plenty out there running temps past 80c at the socket apparently without issue, hell there are Phenom's running those temps for years due to badly fitted or clogged up stock coolers.....

I do think AMD are airing very much on the safe side, to much, but i would still be scared to see my Core temps get to 65c and my socket reach 75c.

There is a limit somewhere, and the point at which you find it is where its expensive, so you should set yourself a limit not to much past the retail recommendation (62c) and stick with it.
AMD's can get to Intel clocks (at Intel temps) and that may well be fine but i would not like to find out the expensive way if its not a good idea

Safe temps are different than stable temps, however, especially on a significantly overclocked processor. Stability usually sets in well before the thing reaches frying temp when significantly overclocked.

Well, up until about 6 hours ago, I had been running at 4.4Ghz. For the last 6 hours I have been at 4.3 and everything seems fine. Temps never reach 58 degrees core or 70 degrees socket.

Well, up until about 6 hours ago, I had been running at 4.4Ghz. For the last 6 hours I have been at 4.3 and everything seems fine. Temps never reach 58 degrees core or 70 degrees socket.

Those are good temps at those clocks for sure, its given me a renewed itch to push mine a little more and do what i have been resisting for some time now... replace my junk cooler with an expensive one, my computer runs as i wanted it to, i'm resisting a never ending request for better parts, where would it end? a thousand £ later?
I have an £80 / $110 board, not some £170,- Asus Crosshair V, i doubt it can handle much past 4Ghz on 6 cores, Which is confirmed in this TPU review all though interestingly i have had my x6 running at 4.2Ghz on this board, just not for long as a P-95 torture pushed socket temps past 70c at which point i stopped the test.

So i if i spend another £50 on a good cooler will it be pointless if my board then becomes the weakest link and i them have to hand another £170 to Asus?

@ trents, good point :)

Whew! Over 70 for the socket temps, heh? That's pushing it - living on the edge. If it was me I'd lower the voltage a bit to get the core temps down to 55 and the socket temps down under 70, even if your are stable at the present settings. You can still brag that you got it to 4.3 stable. Sacrificing a smidgen of clock speed is not worth a dead system . . . or get a better cooler like a Noctua D14 or H100.

Whew! Over 70 for the socket temps, heh? That's pushing it - living on the edge. If it was me I'd lower the voltage a bit to get the core temps down to 55 and the socket temps down under 70, even if your are stable at the present settings. You can still brag that you got it to 4.3 stable. Sacrificing a smidgen of clock speed is not worth a dead system . . . or get a better cooler like a Noctua D14 or H100.

Well, I had thought what I was reading was the Northbridge. TMPIN2 that is. Turns out it was socket temp... which was at 74. I bumped the Vcore down to 1.47 (1.5 under load) and lost 6 degrees of heating. For the price of 100Mhz.

I think, 4.5 is reachable. Just not with my current set up.

I did some cable management (Well, as much as I could with only one tie) and moved the front fan to the side, leaves the HDD with no fan and the temps show. 40 degrees now. Fairly certain 50 is the "danger zone. I hope. Anyways, with the new cool air being blown directly into the CPUs fan, temps during a 2 hour BF3 run, never hit 53 degrees. I shaved about 2-3 degrees on the CPU.

Back