• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get some more power out of AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fritomaster

Registered
Edited: Trying to get a bit more juice outta my cpu.
I'm having a bit of a problem where using AMD overdrive seems to let me get up to 3.8 stable and 4.0 stable for awhile, but using the same setttings within the bios I can't even get a 200mhz OC let alone 800.

Last edited:
Fritomaster, that question is pretty difficult to answer since most of us in here or at least us that hang around and help, do not suggest software overclocking at all. The issues that crop up when using software overclocking have been too too difficult to find. Crazy crap happens many times. Ai Suite is one that we have had plenty of problems with as well as a good deal of issues with AMD AOD. What that really means is we don't deal with AOD to any great extent.

What trips many people up is they will push a voltage slider higher but panic at seeing an actual voltage in the bios and tremble to up voltages there. A voltage upped by slider or bios entry is still a voltage raised.

Since you did not supply us with the cpu in question or the motherboard in the system or other particulars, all you will get are very general answers. Impossible to actually be anymore specific since we are shooting out into space with answers about an unknown system.
RGone...

Fritomaster, the first sentence in your post is a classic run-on grammatical work of art if I ever saw one. You seem to be asking a question but then in the middle of it you interject a statement. If I understand you correctly, you are:

1. Asking if software overclocking is as effective as bios overclocking up to 3.8 ghz with your CPU
2. Stating that when you try to overclock with the bios using the same CPU voltage and multiplier as in AMDOD you get gross instability.

Is this correct?

Fritomaster, that question is pretty difficult to answer since most of us in here or at least us that hang around and help, do not suggest software overclocking at all. The issues that crop up when using software overclocking have been too too difficult to find. Crazy crap happens many times. Ai Suite is one that we have had plenty of problems with as well as a good deal of issues with AMD AOD. What that really means is we don't deal with AOD to any great extent.

What trips many people up is they will push a voltage slider higher but panic at seeing an actual voltage in the bios and tremble to up voltages there. A voltage upped by slider or bios entry is still a voltage raised.

Since you did not supply us with the cpu in question or the motherboard in the system or other particulars, all you will get are very general answers. Impossible to actually be anymore specific since we are shooting out into space with answers about an unknown system.
RGone...

Ah thanks. I updated original post.

The motherboard is biostar A770E3. (Just a cheapo.)

Edit:

MOBO > Listed on first post
CPU & Cooler > Listed on first post.
MEMORY > Amd gaming ram DDR3 800mhz
Cas 9.0
RAS to cas 9
RAs precharge 9
cycle time 28
bank cycle time 40
POWER SUPPLY > 600w stealth something
VIDEO CARD > 1 Gts 450
HDDs/Optical drives > 1tb generic HDD
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard nvidia.
USB > Keyboard/wireless mouse.
O/S > Windows 7 64bit
Case > N/A

Last edited:
It's the "but can't overclock at all using bios" that should have been made into another sentence. But I know you are not here for a grammar lesson.

If you can achieve 3.8 stable, whether with bios or AMDOD, with that motherboard then that's about all you can expect because it doesn't have heat sinks on the VRM area.

Having said that, it would be good to have a look at the frequencies and voltages being employed to get you where you are in your overclock. To facilitate that, please download and install CPU-z and then attach with your post pics of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. There is a built in forum tool for attaching pics.

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc if it includes surrounding irrelevant desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Link http://s16.postimg.org/9rniqsgcj/Stats.png
or I also attached it.

Edit: Anything in the 1.45 range seems stable for 3.8... At 4ghz its stable for about 20mins or certain programs act wonky after a bit. At 4ghz and 1.47 its 41c under 100% load.

Attachments

• Stats.png
    Stats.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Alright I updated my sig and here are the images requested.
Also I am not particularly busy at the moment so maybe someone will believe now that English is my first language.
Stats.png

http://s3.postimg.org/l566teur7/gewgwewege.png

Also attached them.

Attachments

• gewgwewege.png
    gewgwewege.png
    28 KB · Views: 96
  • Stats.png
    Stats.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Where is the picture of HWMonitor that looks like this one as was requested. This is in english as you said you have that as first language. Or maybe just take your 3.8Ghz that you have attained if it is stable and enjoy since that is the limit for some processors and you have job done.

attachment.php

Where is the picture of HWMonitor that looks like this one as was requested. This is in english as you said you have that as first language. Or maybe just take your 3.8Ghz that you have attained if it is stable and enjoy since that is the limit for some processors and you have job done.

I mean now that I have free time I can type without sounding illiterate it was a joke :X

Well Its not that I don't mind the 3.8ghz its that it doesn't work at all if I do it through the bios which seems like the better way. Also If possible I wouldn't mind going higher if I could.

I figured the other picture would work in place of HWmon but let me screenshot it really quick.

Thanks for all the current help though.

Edit: Added screenies.
HW Screen

Attachments

• HW.png
    HW.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 94
Frito, some suggestions:

1. Thanks for attaching the pics as requested. However, when you group too many together in one capture like you did in post #8, the image gets downsized too much by the built-in forum tool (to meet the maximum file size limit) that it's very, very difficult to read the values presented in the CPU-z interface. Please capture the images separately and then upload them individually. I know it's more work for you but we can't help you if we can't read the values. You can attach up to three images at a time and if you need to add more you can by editing the post later.

2. It is evident to me from your low min CPU vcore in HWMonitor (post #13 shows a min vcore of .96) that you still have the "green" stuff enabled and that can wreak havoc with an overclock once it gets into the higher ranges. Please disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance if it is not already that way.

3. When we ask for an attached pic of HWMonitor we mean that we want one captured immediately after a stress test is run (20 minutes of the Prime95 blend test). It does us no good, generally, to know what your idle temps are. What we are after is max temps under load. Having said that, idle temps can be helpful if they seem to be unusually high as that points to a CPU cooler problem like it not being seated properly or the thermal paste not being applied properly.

4. What would really help us help you the most in trying to overclock from the bios is to have you attach some digital camera pics of the overclocking sections of the bios, i.e., the ones showing frequency and voltage adjustment. There has to be some logical reason your system crashes when you try to use the bios to overclock. By the way, you cannot have AMDOD actively loading a profile when you overclock from the bios because then you are adding an overclock to the overclock. So when you overclock from the bios, make sure AMDOD is not configured to automatically load an overclock profile when Windows boots.

1: Ah yeah. I included the original links to all the pictures in full size. I added image tags to the the cpuz picture so you don't have to open if you don't trust image site. Unless its against rules(to just post link.) or that doesn't work for you I can update the post.

2: I checked for cool and quiet but found no options for cpu scaling or anything like that I'll check again.

3: Ah I'll upload a stress test but I haven't seen over 45ish the screenshots were with just a few chrome tabs and world of warcraft running.

4: Its not crashing it won't even boot if I change the settings. I have to reset (Cmos is it?) with a jumper pin to get it to boot again.

Thanks again for the reply.

Edit:

3: Running prime now.
2: I'll disable CE1 stuff and test a oc when I find the cool and quiet setting.

Also if your right click a picture attachment and click copy link you can use that to view the full size picture.

Edit: Ok 20 mins of prime blend on all cores. min 35 max 52 avg 50.50

Last edited:
With regard to stability, we find that core temps of 55-60 are about the max for the Denebs if the core temp appears to be accurate relative to the socket temp. Max stable socket temps are about 10c higher than max stable core temps. The max core temp you just reported in your last post, is that at stock settings or overclocked and if the latter, is that at 3.8 ghz?

Its at stock settings.
It seems the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus is the same fan I have.

Not sure if them temps seem good or bad for that kinda cooler. Its at 34 atm not under much load.

Edit: Alright I got cool and quiet type thing disabled.

Last edited:
To address your earlier question and comments about not being able to find Cool N Quiet in bios, if Power Options in Control Panel has first been configured to High Performance then Cool N Quiet will have been deactivated and you will not find it in bios. If the Power Options are not on High Performance then CnQ should be visible but it may found in a different section of the bios than you expect. It may be in a sub menu of the main Overclocking section or it may be in Advanced Settings tab in bios or some other tab.

Your temps seem kind of high to me for stock frequency and voltage settings using the TRUE cooler. That could be do to poor seating of the cooler or improper application of the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) or it could be due to poor case ventilation. Three 120 mm fans should be enough if they are oriented correctly in the case. Couple things to check: 1. Make sure you have at least two of the three fans configured to exhaust, 2. Make sure you have at least one exhaust fan in the top panel of the case. The TRUE pushes air toward the top panel and if there is not fan in the top panel to extract the warm air you won't get efficient warm air removal from the case even if there is a fan in the back panel. I am attaching a generic picture of how case air flow should be.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 119
I realized I had the processor listed as athlon on the thread name... Anywho.

It wasn't listed as cool and quiet... But there was like 3 or 4 things under cpu options and it happened to be one of them since all three were terms I've never seen.

Alright so I opened prime and I tried with AMD over drive a 4ghz at 1.5v

It looks like 54c max so far after 15mins and 8 mins in core 4 had a error.

My case is like this.

fanz.png

One core dropping out generally means you need a tad more core voltage. Your temps may stand a small bump but you are already at 1.5v.

I wish you would snap some pics of your bios and attach them so we could help you sort some of these things out. There is some reason you cannot overclock in bios and if we could see your bios line items and settings we might be able to spot it right away.

Back