• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get some more power out of AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No camera atm or phone camera.

It might have been the cpu scaling causing it to not boot. I'll try to oc from bios.

Could I try bumping the core v up just a tad and running rerun prime?

All other cores are still fine and I haven't went over 55c.

I added a diagram of my fan setup on the post before this.

Edit: Btw I'm just bumping up the multiplier and not the ref clock if that matters?

Edit: AMD OC says my core v is 1.5
Cpuz reports it as 1.440 and changes between 1.424

I'm gonna try the oc in the bios.

Last edited:
You can add a tad more vcore and it should be okay.

You can overclock by just bumping the multiplier up (the simplest way with a black edition CPU) or by just increasing the ref clock (more complicated because you must also manipulate ram, HT Link and CPUNB frequencies) or a combination of both. Generally, a combination of both gives the best overclock.

Your case air flow looks correct. You must have one of those adapter kits that allow you to turn the TRUE so it faces the back of the case. Or maybe the newer AMD revisions of that cooler include the adapter. The original like I had only allowed you to mount the cooler facing up on an AMD socket.

Since your motherboard does not have a heat sink on the VRM area you need to be careful with your voltage. The VRM includes "mosfets" which are probably the board component most vulnerable to frying. There should be a row of mosfets (flat and black) next to the row of capacitors (the cylindrical silver colored tall things) just to the rear of the CPU socket. Put your finger tip on one of those mosfets while the system is under full load. If they are so hot they make you quickly withdraw your hand, then they are getting too hot and you need to scale back on your core voltage.

Attachments

• mosfets2.jpg
    mosfets2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 28
Well I tried it in bios it wouldn't boot at all.

Yeah the bracket I have let me mount it sideways... I have the cooler master version of that heatsink... Its discontinued now though. /shrug

Not underload the mosfets are slighty warm. I'm gonna see how they feel after turning up the voltage.

It looks like alot of people got it stable at 4.0 at 1.53 so I'll try that and see how its working out.

Thanks again for all the current help.

Edit:

My bios screen under cpu has the options.

Secure WVM - I have it now disabled.
Power now - I have it now disabled.
ACPL SRAT Table - I have it now disabled.
Probe Filter - I have it now disabled.
Advanced Clock Calibration - I have it now disabled.

It looks like alot of people got it stable at 4.0 at 1.53 so I'll try that and see how its working out.
You should be take heed in trents warnings from post 24. You may lose the board cranking the Cpu V core that high.

You should be take heed in trents warnings from post 24. You may lose the board cranking the Cpu V core that high.

Alright.
So far its stable at 4ghz. I'm checking if the chips are hot now. Its been at 100% usage for 35mins.

Yeah the little chips are hot.. To the point where I wouldn't want to hold my finger on it.

So is that it then as far as ocing to 4ghz? Also I still can't figure out why it won't load with any overclock when I use the bios.

I'm going to see how hot the mosfet feels on stock voltage.

Edit:

Well TBH stock voltage at 100% load for 10mins is still pretty hot to where you don't wanna hold your finger there.

Last edited:
Okay, if you want to figure out that problem with overclocking from the bios then you will need to show us digital camera pics of the bios itself, particularly all the sections that deal with frequencies and voltages of the CPU, CPUNB, HT Link and Memory (DRAM). You can attach pics directly with your posts. There is a built in forum tool for this. Here is a script of how to attach pics:

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Notice I said “crop” because we don't want a bunch of desktop real estate to be included in the pics because it just shrinks the relevant portions of the pic down so that the details become illegible. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious.

Back