• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to OC my 1100T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2000 mhz is the stock frequency for both the HT Link and the CPUNB. It will not change when you are using the multiplier only to overclock. When you use the FSB to overclock (aka, "CPU frequency" and "HT Reference") not only will the CPU speed up but so will the ram, the HT Link and the CPUNB. Since the FSB is the master system bus, these other frequencies are tuned to it. I'm suggesting to see how far you can overclock using only the multiplier and then go back and tweak the HT Link and CPUNB separately as this is a simpler approach. Then after trying that approach you can go back and try a combo of the multiplier and the FSB to see if it is better.

Anonaru, I'm thinking it might be a better approach to hold off on the CPUNB overclocking until he sees how far he can get the CPU by itself. If you start changing too many variables at once it becomes difficult to sort out what may be causing instability.

Anonaru, I'm thinking it might be a better approach to hold off on the CPUNB overclocking until he sees how far he can get the CPU by itself. If you start changing too many variables at once it becomes difficult to sort out what may be causing instability.

Haha, you may be right. I'm forgetting levels of experience :(

How much farther can you push a Thuban on multi only?

Ok, I'll wait to bump up the NB frequency until I am done only increasing the multiplier. I am waiting for my next benchmark, after this one I'll break 4Ghz using only the multiplier. How much longer should I wait to go from 20 minute tests to 2 hour tests?

Side note: I can't wait to see my stream quality after this is finished :D

Ok, I'll wait to bump up the NB frequency until I am done only increasing the multiplier. I am waiting for my next benchmark, after this one I'll break 4Ghz using only the multiplier. How much longer should I wait to go from 20 minute tests to 2 hour tests?

Side note: I can't wait to see my stream quality after this is finished :D

Once you hit 4Ghz, I'd definitly start running longer tests. Phenoms start getting a little multiplier hostile in these upper ranges :(

Edit: Actually, if you're on 3.9 now, I'd run at least an hour, for safe measure.

I'm thinking it might be best to hold off on oveclocking the HT Link and the CPUNB until you find what the CPU will overclock to. If you start changing too many variables it makes it difficult to sort out what the problem is when you encounter instability.

Jekerdud, it would be appropriate if you would now create a "Sig" where your system info resides and travels with every post you make. As the threads get longer the parts info you have given early on get's buried. This is a common courtesy on the forum to those helping you. To create a Sig, click on "Quick Links" at the top an then click on "Edit Signature".

Signature done! While I wait for the rest of this test, I noticed at around the 20 minute mark, my core temps were at 50 degrees. But right now, they are at 45 (at 40 minutes). Is it common for it to cool down during the tests?

It's common for the temp to cycle during a test. My experience is that it cycles about three or four times in the course of an hour of Prime95. Prime exercises different amounts and different kinds of load on the CPU and memory at different times.

Ok, so when I start hitting the temp threshold, should I just take an average of the temps that I see? I'm guessing that hitting, say, 57 for about a minute then going back down to 54 for the rest of the tests aren't a bad thing, correct?

No, not an average. The high point or the max is the reference point.

Ok, so when I start hitting the temp threshold, should I just take an average of the temps that I see? I'm guessing that hitting, say, 57 for about a minute then going back down to 54 for the rest of the tests aren't a bad thing, correct?

Max temp is also important to consider. I believe 62c is your maximum safe temp for a Thuban, but I also know from experience the Phenoms get really grumpy in the upper 50s stability wise. As long as you aren't really getting any higher-- Sounds like you are nearing your thermal ceiling though.

No, not an average. The high point or the max is the reference point. I'm off to work now.

No, not an average. The high point or the max is the reference point. I'm off to work now.

When you repost the exact same post in response to me agreeing with you, is that because of a misread, or did you think I meant something different?

Regardless, max temp is important to consider. Try not to breach 60c, ever.

I just had my first crash. I had the multiplier set to 21, which brought me to 4.2ghz. the temps were fine, max was 52. It crashed about 12 minutes into the Prime95 test. It did BSOD, so I am gonna wait and see what you guys think I should do next so I don't screw something up.

When you repost the exact same post in response to me agreeing with you, is that because of a misread, or did you think I meant something different?

Regardless, max temp is important to consider. Try not to breach 60c, ever.

Sorry, it's not like it seems. I unintentionally posted twice because there was some kind of internet transmission glitch that delayed the first post and I clicked on it again after adding something to the text.

I did just that, and ran P95 for 2 hours just to make sure.... everything is fine again. Do I keep going?

Without seeing HWMonitor capture with and after P95 blend was running and maybe the cpu and memory and SPD tab of cpuz...well it is a little hard to say. I expect you would have to have one of the better 5% of cpus to go much further. It is up to you and trying it is always your option.

Well, I am already at 4.2 Ghz, which is .2 faster than what I was aiming for. I will run one more hour test at the current settings to get those screenshots, so I can see what you guys think. In the mean time, after I stop increasing the multiplier what will be doing next?

Side random question: what do you guys usually do when waiting on P95 to run?

I have multipler computers myself. Run it when you intend to sleep. You could do other things on the computer but to me that just adds another fly into the ointment.

Generally/Normally, I would expect the cpu to only go to 4.3Ghz. So for me I would up the FSB to 205 and try that. 205x21=4.3Ghz. Right on the button of what I would expect to happen in the end.

Back