• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Twinmos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont thinkk TwinMos offers there ram at guarenteed performance timings. as far as i know it just comes in the standard timings, i.e. cas 2.5,2T command. all that really means is that the chips arent individually tested and graded like corsair. doesent really matter at the moment as anything with the winbond chips is smokin fast and stable to boot. and the TwinMos has winbond chips.

These are some popular ones ppl talk about here, the price difference is as high as 50%, but performance difference is just a few % for PC3200, 5ns chips:

TwinMOS 256 MB PC3200 5ns chip ~ $59
Winbond 256 MB PC3200 5ns chip ~ $75
OCZ 256 MB EL 3500C2 4.5ns chip ~ $86
Kingston 256 MB HyperX 3500C2 5ns chip ~ $87
Corsair 256 MB 3200C2 (6ns chip ??) ~ $84
Corsair 256 MB 3200 LL 5ns chip ~ $92
Corsair 256x2 MB 3200 LL TWIN 5ns chip ~ $193 (two)
Corsair 256 MB 3500C2 5ns chip ~ $93

In my opinion, when the 5ns DRAM is mature, they all perform within a few MHz difference, i.e. within 3%. This was very different than 6-12 months ago when 5ns chips were not yet mature, ppl willing to pay a premium.

For the already overclocked memory, how much more can we get. Recently there are lots of 5ns DRAM chips that can handle 200 MHz FSB with good price. AMD CPU can be oc by 30-50%, but memory seems to be at most around 10% (if lucky). I now realise how good and generous AMD CPU are !!!

One may argue about service, rma, and guarantee timing for the premium in price (50% ??)

Even for Corsair, recently I just got a brand new stick that is 20 MHz under-spec and thousands of memtest errors. Proabably this is no common, but is still a gamble for time and money.

Because of this, the price / performance consideration, and the maturity of 5ns chips, and some ppl's good experience here, the $59 twinmos looks like a good deal to me.

Last edited:
willlangford said:
thanks. but i couldnt find the timings? could someone help me as to waht they are?

thanks
~Will

A while ago, when I looked at TwinMOS, I have the same concern and try to look for those magic number for RAS/CAS timing such as 6-3-3-2. I could not find it. Only thing I found is CAS2.5.

But now I think, most PC3200 5ns chips should performance within few % since 5ns chips are maturing. And even if it just run at spec 200 MHz, spending $59 probably is OK.

Also some ppl can even overclock theirs for quite a bit. $59 is much less risky than a $90 stick.

Last edited:
I ordered two $59. sticks yesterday. I will post results. This memory is on the Asus compatibility chart for the A7N8X: http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7n8x/A7N8Xqvl.htm
My Samsung needs Cas 2.5-3-3-6 to run at 200fsb, and maxes out at 205fsb. I know my A7N8X has more headroom. So, we'll see how this TwinMoss does. Most reports I've read were great.

pelikan said:
I ordered two $59. sticks yesterday. I will post results. This memory is on the Asus compatibility chart for the A7N8X: http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7n8x/A7N8Xqvl.htm
My Samsung needs Cas 2.5-3-3-6 to run at 200fsb, and maxes out at 205fsb. I know my A7N8X has more headroom. So, we'll see how this TwinMoss does. Most reports I've read were great.

Samsung 2700 clocked to 205 is pretty good already, esp considering price/performance. It is 23% overclocking memory frequency.

Yes, that Samsung worked out great. Now, as usual, I want more.

hitechjb1- Nice FSB. What cooling are you using on your NB? Any other mods worth noting?

pelikan said:
Yes, that Samsung worked out great. Now, as usual, I want more.

hitechjb1- Nice FSB. What cooling are you using on your NB? Any other mods worth noting?

I heard for 6ns chips, Samsung PC2700 has good yield and oc-capability. And now for 5ns chips, looks like WindBond performs real well.

I got "lucky" and my A7N8X MB can run out of the box w/ FSB to 211-217 in sycn, and 233 MHz 50-80% ASYNC at stock NB HS. I don't want to mess around w/ vmod on this particular board.

Last edited:
'Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200 Platinum CAS2' - £127.55.
'TwinMOS 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS2.5' - £78.90.

Now, I can notice the price difference on there, an Akasa Copper heat spreader is like another £10 so throw that on and for £89 you got a pretty decent stick of RAM. But what i need to know is, will it o/c aswell as and keep up with the Corsair? If someone has already tested this then great, otherwise, i may just go for the Corsair and save risking the loss in performance.
~~XJ

note: will the corsair pc3500 yield a significantly greater performance than the 3200's?

XJ said:
'Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200 Platinum CAS2' - £127.55.
'TwinMOS 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS2.5' - £78.90.

Now, I can notice the price difference on there, an Akasa Copper heat spreader is like another £10 so throw that on and for £89 you got a pretty decent stick of RAM. But what i need to know is, will it o/c aswell as and keep up with the Corsair? If someone has already tested this then great, otherwise, i may just go for the Corsair and save risking the loss in performance.
~~XJ

note: will the corsair pc3500 yield a significantly greater performance than the 3200's?

Assuming everything being equal, the performance difference between 3200 and 3500 at same RAS/CAS setting is 300/3200 < 10%.

The price difference between 3200 and 3500 can be as high as 50%.

It is clear what to pick based on price/performance consideration.

If you want to pay for the last % of performance regardless, then is a different story.

hitechjb1 said:

I heard for 6ns chips, Samsung PC2700 has good yield and oc-capability. And now for 5ns chips, looks like WindBond performs real well.

I got "lucky" and my A7N8X MB can run out of the box w/ FSB to 211-217 in sycn, and 233 MHz 50-80% ASYNC at stock NB HS. I don't want to mess around w/ vmod on this particular board.

Wow, you got a great board. I got lucky too. I havn't touched my NB yet or done a volt mod. I'm hoping this new ram will take me further. I can boot into Windows at 210MHz but the Samsung can't handle it stable.
I just bought a 40mm fan so I'm going to pull the NB heatsink, put on some AS3 and the fan. I'm hoping for 215-225MHz. We'll see.

willlangford said:
i dont know. but will the twinmos go over 200 fsb? because i am getting a barton and i want to run it up as much as i can.

Thanks

~Will

1. The main issue running FSB above 200 MHz for nforce2 now is the MB, in particular the North Bridge that most of us suspect being the limiting factor. In particular, I think the memory controller. First you have to find out how high your MB can run before buying very expensive memory.

E.g. even you have PC5000, you MB may only be able to run at PC3200 speed (200 MHz), the $$ to pay for the 1800 MB/s bandwidth will be wasted.

2. Price/Performance has to be considered. You can get PC3500 (spec at 217 MHz), but you have to pay 30-50% more $ to get the last few % of performance from OCZ, Kingston and Corsair.

3. If you search the reviews and ppl's comment, it looks like the norm is around 205 - 210 MHz using MB Vram setting (w/o substantial vmod on MB).

4. Barton and TRred, if they are unlocked, they can run at any FSB. Also the official fsb for Barton is only 166 MHz.

5. I won't be upset if it runs at only 200MHz at $59/each. On the other hand, if I get a $80-90 stick and it can only do 200MHz, it will be a different story.

Last edited:
Back