• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two ram deals at Newegg - today only (with MIRs)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Available from the Egg...ran across these on another site and they seemed good enough to share.

First is:

Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4gb) $32.99 after discount code and rebate

Price is $69.99, less the 10% loyal customer coupon BTEKBKB29 comes to $62.99, then less the $30.00 MIR (expires today).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220484

The next one is:

Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

$124.99, less $10.00 off (with Promo Code: EMCYTZT661) comes to $114.99, then after $35 MIR (expires today) and Free Shipping the net cost is $79.99 for 16GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._mmc=EMC-GD081011-_-index-_-Item-_-20-104-169

There you have it...8 gigs of DDR3 for $33, or 16GB for $80.

Can it really get significantly lower than this?

I'm happy with the RAM and it runs fine at 1600MHz CL9, but why advertise/sell a 1333MHz kit as 1600MHz?
If the ICs can consistently hit the rated speed, why not? It does exactly what it claims to.

If the ICs can consistently hit the rated speed, why not? It does exactly what it claims to.

That is also a fairly common practice. ;)

Because I paid for PC3 12800 memory, not for PC3 10700 memory that can hit PC3 12800 specs...
I know it's a "non-issue" and I'm not even trying to create one, but it irks me that they would think it's OK to do it... And FWIW; I never saw that with any of my Corsair kits before, not even the low priced XMS3 kits equivalent to these Kingston sticks.

Because I paid for PC3 12800 memory, not for PC3 10700 memory that can hit PC3 12800 specs...
Well...you actually simply paid for memory that can hit the PC3 12800 specs printed on it. Whenever I buy memory I consider it more or less a black box. A company doesn't have to tell you what ICs they're giving you, it just has to meet their claims. That's why reviews are so important.

*edit* I agree that it IS kind of annoying. :)

Last edited:
Well, you are getting PC3 12800... You paid the premium to have them bin them. Thats all. Essentially all memory is the same. Its just that some IC's hit certain speeds with certain voltages. They dont come off the production line with a 12800 stamp. They test them to see where they are. Yes there are certain expecatations of the yields but essentially, it is what it is.

My Current Ripjaws are like that, my old Hypers (Super Talent Chrome) were like that.. My old Crucial Ballistix 1066 were like that.

Oh well, we are on different sides of the river on this one. :)

I get your points guys... And I somewhat agree with you on them, but it still gets to me... I feel "had"...

Why? Your X4 955BE and X3 720BE and all your Intel CPUs are the same. They were tested to acceptable performance for that branding, and then labeled as such. It's the "same" silicon as the lower models.

I agree that it's annoying because you're being sold a lower quality product that is overclocked with less to no headroom as opposed to a higher quality product that has better overclockability. You just assume you're going to get the same part as everyone else.

Thats not true though (lower quality product)...its the same prodcut. You could get a DDR3 1600 chip that hits 2k+. The only difference is, like I mentioned, is that they are tested(bin) to reach those speeds...thats it.

There hasnt been a set of memory I owned that didnt show lower speeds in it.

Thats not true though (lower quality product)...its the same prodcut. You could get a DDR3 1600 chip that hits 2k+. The only difference is, like I mentioned, is that they are tested(bin) to reach those speeds...thats it.

There hasnt been a set of memory I owned that didnt show lower speeds in it.

Same here. And really would you be happy if that one little line in CPU-Z showed 800 mhz instead of 667 even though the chips were the same? I think it has more to due with buying memory that is rated above standard memory speeds which the highest DDR3 standard is the 1333 (667). All my G.skill's I've had were like this DDR500 listed on that line at 400, ddr2 1000 at 800 and ddr3 1600 at 1333. While some companies may change that info where CPU-Z gets it's info as stated above they are the same chips either way.

It's really simple, the chips can not be programmed with higher than jdec speeds and work in standard motherboards. The lower speeds are there for compatibility. Sometimes chips have XMP profiles with the higher speeds, but it is not a requirement or necessary.

I agree that it's annoying because you're being sold a lower quality product that is overclocked with less to no headroom as opposed to a higher quality product that has better overclockability. You just assume you're going to get the same part as everyone else.

this.

Back