• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tx 3 vs hyper 212+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InSearch4I

Registered
looking for an aftermarket heatsink and was curious about these two. i5 2500k cpu in a antec illusion 300 case. Any issues with fitting in case? lmk, thanks guys

Those should both fit in the Antec 300. The Coolermaster Hyper TX3 is just the smaller version of the 212+ (92mm vs 120mm).

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the TX3 since it doesn't really fit the HTPC cases, but isn't as good as the 212+. The price difference is very small too.

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the TX3 since it doesn't really fit the HTPC cases, but isn't as good as the 212+. The price difference is very small too.

Oddly enough, many of the 120mm rifle coolers have a 92mm little sibling as well... I'm guessing there has to be a reason for them, but really I'm in the same boat as you :shrug:

The reason for the 92 mm versions is that there are still many cases out there that are a bit too narrow to mount a cooler that uses 120mm fans but can mount a tower style heatsink that uses 92mm fans. But as stated above, they also don't cool as well either (the 92 mm fan versions). Older cases such as the old Coolermaster Praetorian I still use fall into this category. I actually modded the side door on mine and put a wood spacer and a window to give more room so that it can run tower style heatsinks.

Those should both fit in the Antec 300. The Coolermaster Hyper TX3 is just the smaller version of the 212+ (92mm vs 120mm).

Also, the Hyper 212+ has a bolt through mounting system while the TX3 is clip on. There are other subtle design differences as well and when all this is taken together make the 212+ a vastly superior cooler to the TX3.

The 212+ doesn't fit in many cases with side window fans.
My lancool needs another ~.4" of wisth to run both the 212 and window fan.

Back