• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unknown CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cornish

Hi Guys,
Total Newbie here, but I need some help.
Scrapped a customers computer today and came across an Intel CPU I couldn't identify.
The markings on it are as follows:
INTEL CONFIDENTIAL
QXTN-ES MALAY
HH80562XJ0808M
L713A284

and then on the wafer itself:
A0412

The motherboard its fitted to is an Asus Striker 2 Formula.
Any help out there?
Many Thanks.

It's QX6850 i think. Hehe, posted the same sec. Well i guess we'r right about this then.

Upon second inspection I think that's actually an old PIII Celeron. Just send it to me and I'll ensure it is recycled properly.

:D

The system came into my shop as non booting. After diagnosing a dead psu and quoting him on a Tagan to replace his existing high end Antec, he was concerned that the rest of the system was just as old and may also give him further trouble.
So he's ordered a Quad core Phenom system, and told me to do what I like with the old one.
Sounds like the cpu is quite rare then.
Does the INTEL CONFIDENTIAL mean it was for testing purpose and not for general release?
Where would it have come from?
Sorry to throw so many questions about, just being curious guys.

Its an Engineering Sample. Its not released to the public except for a few sites/testers as far as i know.

The QX9650 was a VERY expensive chip in its day. Look in my sig. The Q9650 I have is STILL $320 new. The QX9650 has to be more considering. Really, the system he is building is just as fast as the one he is trashing.

I'm not sure he understood what he had, he's not computer literate but needs a decent system for simulating fire spreading though buildings.
Looking at your post reminds me that the only thing I'm carrying across from his old system is his raid Raptors, striped at that....

Not sure as to the model, I think rock was in the name, but it was a 600watt modular.

Its an Engineering Sample. Its not released to the public except for a few sites/testers as far as i know.

The QX9650 was a VERY expensive chip in its day. Look in my sig. The Q9650 I have is STILL $320 new. The QX9650 has to be more considering. Really, the system he is building is just as fast as the one he is trashing.

Its a 6850, so 65 Nm and still expensive, but not as much as a 9650....

You legally can't sell the chip. Intel keeps ownership of all ES chips since they are lent not given. Here is a link to a thread on XS about that.
But in all honesty they are quite commonly sold and really not much of anything happening specially with a chip that old.

Benefits of the chip is that well not only does it have the ES on it (typically will fetch higher price for that) but as well its unlocked multi.

Price who knows. Check ebay and see if you can get guestimations on how much people are selling older 6850's for, or even 6700's and such just to get an idea of the ball park your playing in.

Can't you give it back to Intel? I've heard stories of people returning ES chips and getting high end CPU's.

Back