• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Unsure on whether to uprade CPU or overclock current one.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm confused. In post #4 HWMonitor showed you max CPU core voltage to be 1.456 and the subsequent bios pics showed "Normal" CPU Voltage Control to be 1.475.

Why in post #60, both in CPU-z and in HWMonitor the CPU core voltage is showing 1.344? Is that under load or at idle?

Post #60 shows normal because the picture was taken right before I increased it. As for post #4 showing the voltage to be 1.456; I have no idea. Post #60 is under load. I ended up stopping after 30 minutes, and I had no errors.

Do you have something called LLC (Load Line Calibration) in your bios and if so, how is it configured right now?

Looking back over your posts and pictures, it looks like when you take CPU Voltage Control off of "Auto" it shows up as "Normal". What other choices besides Normal are there for that line item? Is there no CPU Voltage Control where you can just specify either the total amount or the amount to add?

I didn't see anything by the name of Load Line Calibration. Here is what the current voltage controls look like

Attachments

• 2013-03-19_15-43-15_384.jpg
    2013-03-19_15-43-15_384.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 2013-03-19_15-43-39_457.jpg
    2013-03-19_15-43-39_457.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Just fyi - in the gigabyte bios, LLC is not in the same area as the voltage controls. I'm not at home so I can't see what the actual section is called, but on the main screen of the bios, go into the third option. Advanced bios controls or something like that - there should be load line calibration settings in there. On my 970 you can do normal, extreme, or auto.

Just fyi - in the gigabyte bios, LLC is not in the same area as the voltage controls. I'm not at home so I can't see what the actual section is called, but on the main screen of the bios, go into the third option. Advanced bios controls or something like that - there should be load line calibration settings in there. On my 970 you can do normal, extreme, or auto.

I checked there, but I still didn't see anything named Load line calibrations or LLC. I checked every section, just to be sure.

At any rate 1.35 CPU volts is too little to get you very high. I mean to get one of those Thubans to 3.8 or so you will need around 1.45 vcore and I have doubts if your temps will stand that.

blado, it's time you created a "Sig" so that a synopsis of your system components travels with every post you make. Folks trying to help you don't want to go fishing through the thread to get that info. Here's a copy and paste script I use to give rational for that and to explain how to do it:

Please create a “Sig” so that your system information travels with every post you make. Component information listed in the body of a post early in a thread tends to get buried and lost as a thread gets longer. The “Sig” is a common courtesy to those entering the thread to help you. To create a “Sig”, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Create Signature. We like to see information about these components: CPU, CPU cooler make and model, RAM make and speed and amount, motherboard make and model, PSU make and wattage, video card make and model and last but not least, case make and model and information about the case fans (number of intake fans and exhaust fans and their sized, like 120 mm, 140 mm, 200 mm, etc.).

I'm testing at a bus speed of 245, and a voltage of 1.375 now. Also, I created a signature like you asked. I'll update it with my clock speed when I'm finished and find my highest stable settings.

Thanks for the Sig. Please give some detail about PSU (make and wattage) and RAM (Make and SPD.

Done. I'll have to confirm my memory's brand when I clean my computer later, but it is most likely Corsair. For TMPIN1 you mentioned two different temperature maximums, 55-60 and 70. I just want confirmation on which one is correct. I'm guessing 70 is what you meant.

Here are the results of my latest 20 minute stress test. I think I'm limited to 3.7 for now? I might get a little bit more if I clean my case out, I suppose.

Attachments

• MOREINFO5.png
    MOREINFO5.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 17
  • STRESS TEST INFO2.png
    STRESS TEST INFO2.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 17
Let me compromise on the TMPIN1. Limit it to 65-70c. Those are "safe" temps but temp-related instability could set in before then. Usually, stable CPU socket temps are about 10c more than stable core temps on the Denebs and Thubans but we do see exceptions.

Yeah, I would say you are probably at your limit with your present cooling. Now what you need to do is run a longer Prime95 blend test to confirm stability - at least 2 hr. If you fail that, bump the FSB back a tad, 2-5 mhz maybe, and retest.

Cleaning your case out and tying up wires and cables to prevent air flow obstruction can help a bit but the big issue is the inadequacy of your CPU cooler. Let me show you a recent pic of the inside of my case. Give me a minute, the pics are on my laptop.

Attachments

• Interior.JPG
    Interior.JPG
    935.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Tray_Backside.JPG
    Tray_Backside.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Starting the 2 hour stress test at 3.7 GHz. I'll report back if I run into an issue I can't solve myself.

25 minutes in and still about 3-4 degrees lower than last test. Looks like that class clean helped some

Back