• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Unsure on whether to uprade CPU or overclock current one.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Possibly, you could get to 3.8 with a little more voltage but from here on out use the long stress test. Twenty minutes is time efficient in the initial stages of overclocking to ensure your are close but not sufficient to confirm true stability. What's your CPUNB frequency at now?

Core temps are hanging out mostly at 46 degrees 45 minutes in, and hasn't gone above 49. TMPIN1 is at 53, and hasn't gone above 56.

Blue Screen 1 hour and 55 minutes in -_-. Core temp never went over 50, and TMPIN1 never went over 57.

What frequency is your ram doing now? (CPU-z memory tab, multiply frequency by 2).

1640 MHz with my bus speed at 246 (I lowered it by one after the crash).

Since your ram is rated for 1600 and you are running it at 1640, give it a voltage bump from 1.5 to 1.55. Won't hurt it at all. Don't worry.

Should I increase my CPU voltage as well?

I would give it a small bump, yes. I think it would have made your last overclock stable. Memory can be sneaky and give blue screens and restarts at unexpected times like idle or light computing when it's "almost" stable so that's why I said give it a bump too.

Just ran a 30 minute test and it passed. Core temp maxed out at 52, and TMPIN1 at 59. I'll run my final 2-3 hour test tomorrow. Hopefully I'm almost done.

Yeah, the 20 minute Prime95 blend test will give you temps to within about 2c of the max you would see in a much longer test so not only is it time efficient in the beginning stages of the overclock process but it gives a good indication of what max temps will be like. Looks like your temps are within both the stable and safe range.

This is the final stress test I ran, which lasted 2 and a half hours. Temperatures stayed a bit lower than I expected.

Attachments

• FINAL STRESS TESTI NFO.png
    FINAL STRESS TESTI NFO.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 20
Those temps are nice. As I said yesterday you might have some temp room for adding some more vcore and going for 3.8 but it would be a fight. Not sure if it's worth it for one more .1 ghz of speed.

Back