• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning..Noobie (patience required)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBrat

Registered
Hello, as title states I'm new to the AMD side of the house coming from an old dual core E5700..so this is my testing ground to get me started, and yes I know some of my parts power supply,cooler and video card need to be change but funds are limited but will be done in time (cooler next weekend when I decide which one).. I've read the OC guide posted and I've downloaded all the the suggested programs,,cpu-z,hwmonitor,core temp and prime95. The oc guide did confuse me somewhat but if someone has some time would really like to be pointed in the right direction. I haven't change any settings and I know the 1045T is locked but would like to mild oc say to like 3.5 or 3.6 on the stock cooler if possible then when I pick up my new cooler then I'll try a little more..
thanks in advance

Cpu frequency is determined by multiplying a normal constant by a frequency and thus is the CPU frequency. 1045T is stock at 13.5 times 200 for 2700Mhz Cpu frequency.

So to quite simply see a CPU frequency increase look for the bios item called generally as FSB or CPU frequency or the like and increase that bios item from its normal 200 to 210 and save and exit the bios and you should see the CPU frequency of the cpu showing as 2835 Mhz in CPUz on the CPU tab of that application.

KEEP or bear in mind that to move that CPU frequency multiplier from 200 to 210 will also raise the ram speed so at some point the ram multiplier/normal speed will have to be set to DDR1333 for your DDR1600 ram so that the ram speed will n0t be greater than the ram's ability to run.

Disabling the green or auto speed/voltage controls such as Turboboost/C1E/C6 and the likes of Cool N Quiet in the motherboard bios and setting windows power modes to "performance" mode should allow the cpu to respond mostly to "just" the settings for speed and voltage that 'you' set and not some auto/pre-determined numbers.

That is about the full gist of overclocking an AMD cpu no matter how difficult many may try to make the process. Trial and error of those settings in reaching equilibrium of speed to voltage without exceeding ~55c CORE TEMPS is really what overclocking AMD is all about.

Thank you for the info..going to give it a try..

Ok, I've disable the AMD C1E and the cool and quiet..under the MIT tab should I disable the Core performance boost? Nm turned it off..

update.. i'm kind of lost at the moment.. I gradually went up boosting fsb and re-booting to make it it started,left everything else alone voltage wise minus my Ram as it went over 1600 which I drop down to 5.55 which put my ram 1599 is that ok?

so this is what I have so far..
CPU Clock Ratio 3240
CPU NB 2400 (Auto)
HT-2400 (Auto)
FSB-240 (Don't want to push to high on the stock cooler)
Ram 1599

but here where I got lost..which temps am I suppose to be watching the core temps or the cpu as hwmonitor has a slew of temps showing and core temp shows the cores.. I got confuse so I set all back to stock..

Last edited:
Yes, disable Core Performance Boost. Take those "Auto" settings off of Auto and make Manual choices. I would lower the HT Link frequency to 2200. The control may be expressed as a multiplier of the base clock of 200 mhz so change the multiplier from say 10x to 9x. I would also increase the CPUNB voltage to about 1.225. Your ram frequency is currently appropriate and you seem to have chosen the correct divider.

HWMonitor gives two important temps: "Core" temp and CPU temp. CPU temp is actually the CPU socket temp read from a sensor in the motherboard near the CPU socket. The CPU temp may appear in HWMonitor as something like CPUTIN or it may be disguised in one of the TMPINx lines.

Your need to test for max core temps and max CPU temps and you need to do a long (at least 2 hrs.) Prime95 blend test to check for stability of your current overclock settings.

EvErYtHiNg "trents" said applies to where you already were at 240 x 13.5.

1. HWMonitor 'open' on desktop logging temps of the CORE and the CPU. CORE Temp best if not higher than ~55c under full load during your 2 hour stability test using Prime95 in "Blend" mode. HWMonitor logging will show both the low and high temps and you can capture that as a picture and post here to forum.

2. You should also capture and post for us in this thread by attaching captures to a post here in this thread, the CPU/Memory and the SPD tab so we can see what if any adjustment to the memory timings is required.

3. You are now (following what 'trents' said) going manual on voltages so if your ram is 1.5V ram >> just give it a gentle bump to about 1.525V or even 1.55V for added stability overall. That gentle bump of voltage to 1.5V type ram has done wonders for stability for most users reporting their journey in overclocking.

Guys, first off that you for the help.. :)
I have the pics of before I started (stock)..do you need them? Or just the ones after I remake my changes?

and a question about my ram as it does states on the ram 1.65v but haven't touched that just the freq (guess that whats it called) to keep it under 1600..

Last edited:
You are in GREAT hands with these guys helping you out. Supplemental to this is a guide linked in my signature that should help fill in some backround information for you. :)

GL with your overclock!

@EarthDog..I also read your guide and no offense I think that's were maybe I made a mistake I read so many guides I've overloaded my brain,,

Not my guide. ;)

Its just full of helpful backround information to help get some knowledge in you... so when the training wheels are taken off, you dont fall flat. They can be overwhelming, no doubt. But with the help of these guys and the guides, it should get you where you need to go. :)

OK, I disabled all, couldn't lower the CPU NB or the HT link freq to 2200 as suggested as they go from Auto to x10 so I but both at x9 which took them to 2160Mhz.
Memory at x6.66 for 1599 mhz

and when I went to "system voltage optimized" section to increase the CPU NB to 1.225 I took it off auto placed on manual and it started flashing in red " System Voltage not optimized" so no changes made there..

OK, I disabled all, couldn't lower the CPU NB or the HT link freq to 2200 as suggested as they go from Auto to x10 so I but both at x9 which took them to 2160Mhz.

and when I went to "system voltage optimized" section to increase the CPU NB to 1.225 I took it off auto placed on manual and it started flashing in red " System Voltage not optimized" so no changes made there..

2160Mhz is fine. Your are using FSB of 240 to overclock right now so n0t likely you can hit 2200 dead ON.

You want to overclock which is putting your cpu in the "red" anyway since you are n0t running your cpu optimized. You got to put up with the red flashing if you want to overclock.

Last edited:
hmm, I may be cautious as not in the mood to fry the cpu on the first day..lol but temps look high to me so I stopped prime..

here are the pics after about 15 mins..

Attachments

• core temp.PNG
    core temp.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 123
  • hw.PNG
    hw.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 118
  • CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 115
  • MEM.PNG
    MEM.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Slot 3.PNG
    Slot 3.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 157
  • slot 4.PNG
    slot 4.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 118
2160Mhz is fine. Your are using FSB of 240 to overclock right now so n0t likely you can hit 2200 did ON.

You want to overclock which is putting your cpu in the "red" anyway since you are n0t running your cpu optimized. You got to put up with the red flashing if you want to overclock.

So the red flashing is ok.. cool so just increase the CPU NB to 1.225.. and ignore the the flashing.

Your CPUNB will tolerate and even benefit (from a stablity standpoint) from being up around 2400-2600 mhz as long as you supplement it with a little extra voltage, which you have done already when you put it to 1.225 volts. So go ahead and set that multiplier back to 10x but leave the HT Link multiplier where its at.

Everything else looks good at a casual glance in CPU-z. You need to stress test it with Prime95 blend withe HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core and CPU temps and to check stability of the OC settings. Passing 20 minutes of the Prime95 blend test will establish tentative stability and is economical from a time standpoint at the beginning stages of overclocking but as you approach what will likely be the max overclock you need to run a longer test, at least two hours.

@ trents, ok this I understand but my temps look a bit high (see above pics) so I backed off..are they ok?

No, they are not okay? Sorry, I didn't see that. Yeah, you need a better cooler.

Ok. this will be put in a holding pattern till next weekend as I will pick one up then as we don't have a large selection of shops here to chose from but we do have one that does sell coolmaster (V6,V8,and a few others) and corsair products, I'll see what they have on hand I know he suppose to get in the H60,80 and 100.. anyways thank you for the assist I'll be reading till then did learn some today so all was not lost.

If they have a Corsair A70 and if you have fans in your case top panel, get the Corsair A70 is a sleeper high end air cooler. But it will only face north and south, not east and west.

Hello again, I went to the shop today to see what he had for cpu coolers which wasn't much but I have a choice but he had a corsair V10 and the v6 gt and the x6 elite (which I liked) and they fit my case..any suggestions..I could order on line but with Jordan having such high customs and taxes it does hell with the pricing..

On a side note I got a good deal on an LG D2342 the 3D one but it came with a slew of cable the regular one, a dvi-d an hdvi one ,, anyways which one should I use I have the dvi one plugged up now is that ok.. Thanks in advance.. and I be ready to resume on saturday afternoon..

Back