• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning..Noobie (patience required)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you meant to say "Coolermaster v10, v6, etc." Those are Coolermaster, not Corsair products.

Do you have access to the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ evo? That's a pretty good and very popular cooler with overclockers right now and it's a lot of bang for the buck.

What make and model case do you have? The Hyper 212+ evo (and all the tower style coolers with 120mm fans, for that matter) are pretty tall and require a case width of 8" or very close to it to provide necessary clearance to the side panel.

ok,,I think I'm ready to try again, I upgraded my cooler.

First set of pictures are with the stock and upgraded cooler.The 2nd set are after running prime for an hour just to see how it does..

Attachments

• Stock.PNG
    Stock.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 30
  • with new cooler.PNG
    with new cooler.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Prime 1 hr (b) no oc.PNG
    Prime 1 hr (b) no oc.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 30
  • Prime 1 hr (a) no oc.PNG
    Prime 1 hr (a) no oc.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 30
The 2nd set are after running prime for an hour just to see how it does..= Where are the CPUz captures of the CPU, Memory and SPD tabs for that second set running prime for an hour. What did you change in the bios between taking that first picture set and the second set running prime for an hour? Something was changed because the max voltage in the first set of pictures was 1.50 and the one for second set running prime was showing only 1.41 Vcore max.

hmm, the first 2 pic are just a before and after shot as I installed my new cooler yesterday, the second 2 pics was just me running prime for a hour to see if the new cooler was better, oh maybe the voltage change was due to my new power supply ? I haven't started yet on the oc as I wanted to make sure everything is working..and to be honest i didn't even think to take new cpuz shots as I was to busy watching temps..should I run them again?

Probably be a real good idea to give baseline captures of everything since you actually are now going to start all over it seems with new parts and pieces it seems.

EDIT: by the way you do not need us to be on-hand to overclock that cpu. The process is the same as we outlined before you upgraded your cooler and power supply.

1. Turn off all 'green' menu items in bios. (Turboboost/Cool N quiet/C1E/C6 and the like).

2. Set windows power mode to "performance".

3. Back down ram speeds and Buss speeds so that raising the HTT frequency does not push either beyond their limits. (Just like you needed to do previously.)

4. Set Vcore to manual and adjust to about 1.425Vcore so you may have a chance to reach FSB/HTT Frequency of ~240. Set CPU/NB voltage to about 1.225.

5. Adjust ram voltage manually to ~1.55 volts and the ram timings manually so you "know" where they are.

6. Then begin to raise the FSB/HTT Frequency (whatever its' name on your brand mobo) by 5 and test stability for at least 20 mins with P95 in blend mode and monitoring Min/Max temps and voltages with HWMonitor; before jumping FSB by another 5 until you max out and need to raise Vcore or your CPU CORE temps go beyond ~55c.

That is where most of us would begin an overclock on AMD phenom processor with a locked upward multiplier. END EDIT.

Last edited:
Ok np problem here they are .. After last weekend I did reset everything back to stock as my temps did bother me and not wanting to fry anything. these are the current ones stock, 2 pictures in my previous post were of prime running for an hour also at stock..

Attachments

• SPD3 Stock.PNG
    SPD3 Stock.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 29
  • mem Stock.PNG
    mem Stock.PNG
    26 KB · Views: 29
  • cpu Stock.PNG
    cpu Stock.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 29
  • SPD4 Stock.PNG
    SPD4 Stock.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Core temp stock.PNG
    Core temp stock.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Hwm Stock.PNG
    Hwm Stock.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 28
I went back in and EDITTED my post #30 while you were writing post just above. You can go read what was Added.

IF both Ram sticks are the same as yours are...don't need two SPD captures. Don't need Core Temp since we really don't use it anyway. Much more confident in HWMonitor and mroe comfortable with HWMonitor readings.

ok, just a quick question before I started again do I need to turn off the pcie spectrum?
and ty for your patience..

By way of explanation, I think the spectrum features have to do with counteracting electromagnetic interference. RGone, correct me if I'm wrong. I have not found them to have any impact on overclocking one way or the other so I just leave them alone.

What cooler did you wind up getting? The Coolermaster V6 in your Sig? Can't remember what it was before. Anyway, your temps look good now.

I looked at the CoolerMaster V6 and the V10 but I ended up getting the CoolerMaster X6 as it seemed to me as better fit, had to remove the decorative top in order to fit my case as I didn't want to remove my side fan and the store ordered another fan for me so I can do a push/pull but as my case is a mid tower it may not fit so will keep it as a spare..

Oh, sorry! I didn't read that sig very carefully. I now see it says X6 and not V6. That X6 is a new product. I saw it offered on NewEgg recently but there were no customer reviews at that time. It looked massive and I was curious as to how well it would perform.

It is huge..lol but me coming from stock anything would be big..nice build though thick heat plate with mirror finish..I took some pic if you wish to see in my case.. but it drop my temps by 17c..

Back