• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning To All Using Ax478!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, someone with a bad one and someone with a good one need's to post some dimentions and pictures of them as well as any disticttive physical features. this might help us to tell the sinks from the theoretical defective batch from the good ones. the evidence shows that there is a defective batch bevcasue the bad one are bad from the start, not over time. in most cases. thus i believe it is a spacific batch. my order for an ax-478 got canceled because the company didnt verify the alt shippnig aaddress than lied to us about it :( Spyder is suposedly going to do some observations on his, tho I was hoping he would send it to me so I can use my measuring tools on it.

Update?

Is there any news on the AX-478? Has Thermalright been notified?

I ordered one of these damn things before finding this thread, and I don't know what to do. I feel like I should return my order unopened and replace it with a different cooler. I just don't know what will fit on my motherboard (Abit IT7 Max).

Correct me if I'm wrong... but it looks as if the Athlon version of the cooler is also assembled in a similar manner to the 478. That is, it has a base that is either welded or glued to the fins. Is this correct? If so, have there been any reported failings of the Athlon version?

Last edited:
havent got a reply from Thermalright yet.............. and i have the AMD version- it works great!!! And the AX478 i had was on an 1T7--
Personaly- i would use the Coolermaster HHC001 for p4- there great!!!

The Spyder said:
Personaly- i would use the Coolermaster HHC001 for p4- there great!!!

Isn't the HHC001 for the AMD? I do like the looks of the IHC-L71 and IHC-H71 though. Unfortunately, the HeatSinkFactory doesn't sell either of them (where I bought the 478).

Have the forum reviews been entirely negative when it comes to the AX-478? I've only seen two negative reviews here. But yours is enough to scare me away. I just don't know what to do.

Honestly it seems like the case here is that a few bad sinks were encountered. Hopefully, it shouldn't be the norm.

So, probably the thing to do (IMHO) is to let it be delivered and see how it works. If it doens't work well and you've made every attempt to make it work, then chances are that you may have a bad unit. At that point, contact your seller and say that your sink is demonstrating some characteristics that you've seen in other sinks that failed thereafter. But hopefully (and probably), what you see here is more isolated and most probably won't be an issue for you.

You might contact your seller now and express both your misgivings, based on the information you've seen, and your willingness to give it a try. That way, you come across as accomadating and willing to work to find a solution, but your concerns are there in writing before you use the sink.

Anybody else think that's a good idea?

Thanks -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Honestly it seems like the case here is that a few bad sinks were encountered. Hopefully, it shouldn't be the norm.

Anybody else think that's a good idea?

Thanks -- Paul

Yes it is a good idea. I have not received my AX478 yet, but I did send this thread to the folks at the HeatSinkFactory expressing my concerns. They believe this is an isolated incident. I have to agree with them.

My problem is this... I have an Abit IT7 Max and with the stock heatsink it's reporting very high temps. I tried lapping my sink, but the temps did not improve and to the naked eye the sink does not appear to make good contact with the chip. It's been reported that the IT7 may not report system/cpu temperatures correctly. If I install the AX478 and don't see a dramatic decrease in temps then it could be a bad unit or it could be I have one of the IT7's that report temps incorrectly. This thread is just compounding my doubts, fears, worries, etc...

I've done a lot of research and haven't found an AX7 that has failed. Both units use the same construction. Spyders sink must have been bad from the get go. Fingers crossed.

Sounds like you have a good plan and understanding. I want to wish you the best of luck!

Regarding the mobo temp reporting, do you have any independent ways of measuring temperature? For example, do you have a thermister and multimeter? If so, you could find one (any, e.g., a thermister on the board for case temps) thermister on your motherboard, hook your thermister up to the multimeter (no power required), measure the resistence, and use the specs to calculate the temperature. Compare the results to the temps give by your mobo. If they're off, then you might have reason to suspect the other temps.

Furthermore, it might be that your board checks the actual on-die chip temperature (internal sensor), as opposed to the in-socket temperature that most motherboards read. If that's the case, then you should expect a roughly 10C higher temperature reading than it would be if it were measured the other way.

Oh, and as I forgot to mention it earlier, welcome to the forums! -- Paul

that is really shocking to me. i wouldn't expect that after sam's good praisng, and i trust sam.

You mean regarding the AX478? Yes, this whole thing surprised me, too. (And I also place a lot of stock in Silversinksam's posts, etc.) That's also part of what leads us to believe that it's a case of a few bad sinks, perhaps a batch of them.

-- Paul

macklin01 said:
... I also place a lot of stock in Silversinksam's posts, etc.
-- Paul

Do you have a link to Silversinksam's comments about the 478? I searched the forum, but didn't turn up anything specific. Maybe my search terms weren't broad enough.

You know what, I'm confused, now, too. I had thought that SSS had made some reviews about it, but I haven't turned anything up. Starfoxer, coudl you please clarify what you were referring to? I think I must have misunderstood earlier. :(

-- Paul

How many days has it been? Maybe your email got burried ... :eh?: Well, best of luck!

I remember when I was trying to cancel an order for Mandrake 8.1 after waiting a month for it to ship (they never even sent out the promised burned CD's in advance of the final copy) ... I automated the process -- it would email them once a day, and include / update the number of unanswered emails, how many business days they had gone between accepting payment and shipping, etc. I ended up calling them on the phone (how novel!), and ... (funny part, sorta'), they already knew who I was ... refund came a day or so later. :D

Sometimes, persistence pays. Best of luck!! -- Paul

That must be it. I don't think I ever read that thread, but I guess Starfoxer must have ... (heck, I don't remember things I did last week, let along in August! :) )

Thanks for the link, AZN! -- That thread's an interesting read! :) -- Paul

Got a reply:
"Dear Customer,

Please provide us your shipping address and contact name and phone number in order for us to send the replacement to you by UPS.

Sorry to hear your bad experience, And we feel sorry for what happened and we will try our best to improve our quality in the future.

If that is possible could you be able to send back the defect product for us? To let us study on the problem.

Thanks for your input. Whit out your input Thermalright never can be improved.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Lydia"

Should i send it back? Im thinking its already been DIBED my SSS :)

well... u can look at it 2 ways... 1 they are already giving a replacement which is good...but about SSS.... well if u send it back they can atleast look at the crappy glue job and mabye adjust their manufacturing technique to improve the quality for future buyers... so I would really send it back if I were u. I mean it would be nice to give it to SSS but I think even SSS would agree if sending it to TT to have them look at it will help future models then i think u should do it... any1 else?

AZN

Spyder, that's terrific!

Well, this speaks volumes for excellent customer support at Thermalright. It also speaks a lot for the value of polite correspondence with companies when things go wrong -- many, if not most, bad situations can be resolved this nicely. Good job, Spyder! :)

AZN, good question. To some extent, it depends on what kind of testing SSS wanted to do. (i.e., how destructive, etc.) It would be nice to glean more information for the OC community. In general, I believe it would be best to ship it back to TR. After all, they need to have the chance to learn from their mistakes; also, if they're sending you a new one, it's the right thing to do.

Thanks for sharing the good news, Spyder!

-- Paul

Back