• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED weird noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
hello good folks of mobo section.
I am having a bit of trouble with the new rig. When folding an loads go up , there is a strange high freq sound coming from the pc. cannot localize it i think it is the mobo or maybe the video card. what can i do ? its getting really annoying.

Ps cpu [email protected]
mobo asus m5a99X evo bios updated so are the drivers

Probably the Power supply, but could be the VRM on the mobo, or the VRM on the GPU.

I think usually these trace back to the PSU coils whining under draw - referenced usually as "coil whine". There isn't really a fix, other than making sure its the PSU, and upgrading to a better PSU.

I'd rate a fan as possibly second, if its kicking up to a higher RPM under load, and maybe has a bearing on its way out.

If its not a fan, then its electrical - under load the coils vibrate, and thats the high frequency whine you hear.

Probably the Power supply, but could be the VRM on the mobo, or the VRM on the GPU.

I think usually these trace back to the PSU coils whining under draw - referenced usually as "coil whine". There isn't really a fix, other than making sure its the PSU, and upgrading to a better PSU.

I'd rate a fan as possibly second, if its kicking up to a higher RPM under load, and maybe has a bearing on its way out.

If its not a fan, then its electrical - under load the coils vibrate, and thats the high frequency whine you hear.

not the fan. i controll those manualy. how can i test if its the psu or video or mobo? i mean how can i test them individualy?

Pause folding, then only stress the GPU or only stress the CPU using a synthetic test designed for that purpose. If it only happens with one or the other, that narrows it down to that component or the PSU. If it happens with both, that points to the PSU whining when either component is loaded.

After that, its down to sticking your head in the case and seeing if you can localize the sound - it can be kinda tricky because its the type of noise that seems like its coming from somewhere else.

I would suggest using a cardboard tube to help narrow down where it is coming from.

Someone in another thread suggested using the cardboard tube from a papertowel/toilet paper roll put up against your ear to help pinpoint the sound. Brilliant.

edit: well arent you faster and more clever than me thideras

figured it out. it was the video card . seems it doesnt like 850mhz on core for some reason :). maybe because its kind of low-end ..... dunn matter fixed it :D thx for suggestions (i will use them later on)

Back