• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

We're in trouble!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm hoping to be back with you guys the end of the summer as well. Work is really starting to pick up again and my wife got a staff position at the hospital last week so after I get caught up with all of my backed up bills I can start folding away again!

Dont worry, I get my house hold goods from Germany at the end of August when i move in... been a long time... March or so, since i have been off line. This is the longest move i have ever taken part in!!

I still got my i7 Big's rig... and my 2 GPUs... but a quick question, is the i7 980x usable on all 12 cores? I am picking one up in a few weeks to up grade my rig... or just build a new system... I like the ladder, but gotta convince the wife!

Just link me a thread of the 980x discussion if there is one going on.

Hope you all are well!!

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE

GUMMMMYYYYY!

As a child that was my favorite book, and I'll admit I went and saw the movie. It was a lot better than I was expecting and while it was 95% added stuff from the original book, I think they did a good job :rock:

looks like i may have a few more folders going in a little while, ive got a replacement psu coming for my athlon 64 3200+ rig and 4650 for my 6000+ rig, though its been getting a bit toasty to fold on my phenom/285 rig.

so my GPU folder wont start folding no matter what i do, it keeps re downloading the core

Well I have an a3 Linux VM Q6600x4 core client, a 9800GTX+ and 2x9600GSO cards all folding 24/7 for ~15kPPD. :(

It's all I've got and if things get any tighter money wise, I'll have to give it up altogether. I'm hoping the new water heater we'll install next month will drop the electric bill significantly. If not then all my PC's will be off FAH and only run on demand during the day or evening and then get shut off.

If I had the bux to upgrade to an i7, that would triple my PPD with less power usage.

Edit: Got the new efficient water heater installed today. I hope that frees up some extra foldin' juice :D

Last edited:
so my GPU folder wont start folding no matter what i do, it keeps re downloading the core

Fire up a thread arcanise... we'll do our best to help you get it going... but I don't want to clog up this thread with troubleshooting. ;)

Hmm, maybe I'll throw in my q6600 and e3300 at 3GHz, but no GPU or my UPS will get angry.

Shell!!! :beer: Where the heck you been? Obviously here (OCF), but just not in here. ;) Don't change that avatar either... otherwise I wouldn't have recognized you. ;)

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. :)

Shell!!! :beer: Where the heck you been? Obviously here (OCF), but just not in here. ;) Don't change that avatar either... otherwise I wouldn't have recognized you. ;)
Any help you can provide is much appreciated. :)
Whoo I remember you, I've been gone for ages... had work and school, dropped out from OCF for a while, this forum can take more time than video games.
4 cores for team 32, and another 4 as soon as I'm motivated to leave my chair.

I've been thinking for a long time... why are there no computing non-profit orgs? A donation-based folding supercomputer would get a lot of work done and people wouldn't need to have a high energy bill, warm their house, and buy themselves expensive hardware.
You'd think it'd cost a lot of money to run a supercomputer... but it doesn't have to.
The energy consumed for cooling is very costly, but it'd be puny if the computer was up north next to a body of water, you could use a heat exchanger and keep the place chilly in the summer, and in the winter you have an abundance of cold air.

I thought you might... although my avatar has changed. :D We had some "heated" debates about AMD (K10) vs. Intel (C2) architecture back in the day. :beer:

I'm really excited about, and would buy, the AMD 6-core if they would run the more advanced FAH work units. Seen some reviews where the AMD 6-core really outshines the i7 quads. Glad to see AMD back in the game... and it's cool to see you still sporting the AMD X2 avatar. :beer:

I thought you might... although my avatar has changed. :D We had some "heated" debates about AMD (K10) vs. Intel (C2) architecture back in the day. :beer:
I'm really excited about, and would buy, the AMD 6-core if they would run the more advanced FAH work units. Seen some reviews where the AMD 6-core really outshines the i7 quads. Glad to see AMD back in the game... and it's cool to see you still sporting the AMD X2 avatar. :beer:
It's still my favorite CPU, however it's in need of a home, motherboard(cheap biostar lol, a great board if it didn't get a bad batch of rubycons) blew 2 caps after 4 years of humming away near 3GHz... funny how a chip from 4 years ago still keeps up with today's low-end CPUs. I'm too lazy to fix it so I'll just wait for a quality salvage, people are turning in their 939 systems for upgrades.
Those X6 chips are nice, a lot of performance for the price... stick one of those in a 890FXA-UD7 and you could have 6 graphics cards for number crunching. :drool:
AMD cocked-up K10, it was supposed to be good off-the-bat but took ages to be perfected, and now it's dated... AMD's future tech looks nice.
I haven't run Linux client in ages... how much faster is it than Windows?

EDIT: Oh noes! Help!

[05:48:39] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
fah6: relocation error: /lib/libnss_files.so.2: symbol __rawmemchr, version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Running xubuntu 64-bit, yes ia32-libs is installed.

EDIT2:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=145834#p145834

Found Fix.

Last edited:
I just got my AC unit installed. Yay for spending money I don't have. I have completely committed to leaving the refrigerator unplugged for the rest of the summer. It's been completely emptied and cleaned out. The AC has slowly been bringing the temps down in this big living room. I was about to say "ok now that I know it is working, lets see how it fares against my GTX 470" and that's when I realized that my 470 was already folding the entire time woot woot!

I just got my AC unit installed. Yay for spending money I don't have. I have completely committed to leaving the refrigerator unplugged for the rest of the summer. It's been completely emptied and cleaned out. The AC has slowly been bringing the temps down in this big living room. I was about to say "ok now that I know it is working, lets see how it fares against my GTX 470" and that's when I realized that my 470 was already folding the entire time woot woot!

Could exhaust the hot air from your systems straight out the window so the AC doesn't have to fight with them... although that's only a good idea if the exhaust air is warmer than the air outside...

^^^ I have tons of fans in my case, exhaust air is usually only a few degrees above ambient.

Hey guys, I have been folding on and off since Christmas when I got my Phenom II X4. I joined the forum a few months ago when I first started to try and overclock it a bit but anyways...

As of right now, I am not folding for any particular team and have been thinking whose team I want to start folding with. I saw this thread and thought, what a perfect opportunity! So when I get home tonight ill be switching my Phenom II and two ATI 4670's to team 32!

I am also planning on setting up a bunch of old computers with DSL to fold, I dont know how many PPD they will generate but I have at least 6 that work that I will be setting up hopefully this week.

Looking forward to be part of team 32!

Back