• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do: 1060 3GB vs 1060 6GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd say 6GB if you wanna touch on 1440p. You'll still need to lower settings, but at least it'd be playable in some form. The 3GB can't offer you that. Plus, selling the 6GB will get you more cash. Save up for part of a 1070 or 1080 and sell the 1060 to make up the rest. 1070's can be found for $400-$500, and if you sell the 1060 on here or eBay for, say, the price of a 1050 ti, it should fly right out of your hands (for reference, a 1050 ti is $130-$150 give or take). That cuts your 1070's price down to $370-$250, depending on the price, and how much you sell the 1060 for.

Yeah I'll probably pick up the 6gb card as it will give me a little more versatility. I would probably skip the 1070 though, not worth going from a 980ti to a 1070. I'm hoping AMD comes out with something cool or NVIDIA's prices drop a bit in the next couple of months. The 1060 would stay in the server though, it wouldn't be worth upgrading to a 6gb card and then selling it for cheap.

Yeah I'll probably pick up the 6gb card as it will give me a little more versatility. I would probably skip the 1070 though, not worth going from a 980ti to a 1070. I'm hoping AMD comes out with something cool or NVIDIA's prices drop a bit in the next couple of months. The 1060 would stay in the server though, it wouldn't be worth upgrading to a 6gb card and then selling it for cheap.

Looks like you may've hit some sort of budget glass ceiling, just like me. Mine's somewhere between 1060 3GB and 6GB, where I'm struggling to justify paying 25% extra for double the RAM on the same card. If I had a dedicated >1080p monitor, then maybe. For the same reason, actually, why don't you take a look around and who knows, you might find a 1070 for a more accessible price? If not now then some time soon. There's always the option of waiting till next autumn for 2070 and 2060 — those are supposed to aim for lower suggested retail prices from what I've read. If you somehow ended up not having upgraded before summer, I'd probably hold out for the Pascal refresh at that point.

I play bf1 maxed out at 1440p and it takes up well over 5gb of vram. There are several games even at 1080p resolution that take well over 3gb vram if you have AA on. I have everything maxed out when I play. AA maxed out as well. Just wondering btw, why not just keep the 980ti in there instead of worrying about a 6gb 1060?

I play bf1 maxed out at 1440p and it takes up well over 5gb of vram. There are several games even at 1080p resolution that take well over 3gb vram if you have AA on. I have everything maxed out when I play. AA maxed out as well. Just wondering btw, why not just keep the 980ti in there instead of worrying about a 6gb 1060?

Because I sold the 980ti for a decent price. I have a feeling that the 980ti value will bomb after the 1080ti comes out, and may even after vega's release...

Ok Gotcha. Ya you should easily be able to get a 1060 6gb and have some cash leftover or even the rx 480. TBH I don't know why the 3gb was even made this late in the Gaming Era, I had the vram maxed out so many times on a 4gb 980 it was ridiculous. And I may have been mistaken earlier with BF1. I just got done playing some MP and it was over 3500 mb most the time but not 5000. So I threw Titanfall 2 on and I think that may have been what I was thinking about earlier. Idk why but that game hits 4500-5500 mb of vram very frequently. None the less tho, I only had 1080p with the Gtx 980 and had games surpass 3000 mb of vram usage quite often.

Ok Gotcha. Ya you should easily be able to get a 1060 6gb and have some cash leftover or even the rx 480. TBH I don't know why the 3gb was even made this late in the Gaming Era,

Cost perhaps. Speculation is, 2060 is going to be released late this year or next, with 6GB in standard and 10% lower suggested retail price. Speculation, unfortunately. If I knew for sure, I'd be tempted to wait.

Back