• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best gaming headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends on personal preference, really. If you're going to be gaming w/ headphones, you should select a set that are comfortable to wear for extended periods, and have a nice sound range (again, even that is personal preference).

I use a set of Sony MRD-CD 280's, and they're very nice, comfortable headphones w/ nice clean sound.

for only 20 or so, you can pick up the plantronics audio .90s. they are a great headset, and probably the best bang for your buck that you will get :)

Best bet is just to get a normal set of cans. The 5.1 stuff is just a gimmick imho. I likemy sony mdrv700's. but they are prone to breaking every set i've seen has broken in the same spot. Sennheiser makes some nice stuff, i'll be getting a pair from them when i upgrade.

Grado SR60s, they cost less than $100 and the sound is so sweet! It really improved my deathmatch skills, as I could hear exactly where footsteps/gunfire was coming from, both direction and distance. Great for music, too.

look into sennheiser too. i own a pair of hd580s, and they sound great!!!
prior to the hd580s i had the hd500s, which are also nice.
however, the 580s need an amp. but the 500s are 32ohm and don't!
Good luck!!

anyone play with the plantronics dsp-500's? i heard those are really good too...

fuzzba11 said:
Grado SR60s, they cost less than $100 and the sound is so sweet! It really improved my deathmatch skills, as I could hear exactly where footsteps/gunfire was coming from, both direction and distance. Great for music, too.

I second that (think they can be had for around $70) and seconf the Senn's. I bought the Senn HD 280 Pros for around $85 from newegg and they are great. They give me sound as good as $2500 speakers from the same source. I'm sure the Grados would be almost as good if not as good.

Thats for music though, for gaming you can get away with much cheaper head phones, but if you have some extra cash and listen to music with them get a decent set.

ps 5.1 really doesn't mean much for head phones. I wanted it too when looking for a set, but learned head phones do a VERY nice job of creating the different positional sounds so you don't need it. The other problem is sound quality for the few 5.1 pairs is low compared to a decent set like the Grados or Senn's. Don't sweat the 5.1 your computer has a setting for head phones and it will create some very nice directional sound so you can hear that guy benind you or behind you to the left or where ever.

For really good info on head phones and stero equiptment go to www.audioasylum.com great forums.

Flanagun said:
Best bet is just to get a normal set of cans. The 5.1 stuff is just a gimmick imho. I likemy sony mdrv700's. but they are prone to breaking every set i've seen has broken in the same spot. Sennheiser makes some nice stuff, i'll be getting a pair from them when i upgrade.

Actually no, the Zalmans have 6 drivers, and you can really feel the surround sound really well with some games. In CoD, I can know exactly where a sniper is when hiding behind a wall for cover.

They can also create some surround effect on sounds that are above or below you, this can give you an advantage when lots of things are going on.

These:

Sennheiser HD 600

They are expensive, but awesome. A lot of pros use them as a reference for calibrating equipment - they're that accurate.

The HD 580 mentioned earlier sound pretty much the same for a good bit less, but have a more plain appearance. While they can probably still be found, I don't think they're in production anymore.

I'm another person who's not big on the "surround" headsets.

John G

Bensa said:
Actually no, the Zalmans have 6 drivers, and you can really feel the surround sound really well with some games. In CoD, I can know exactly where a sniper is when hiding behind a wall for cover.

They can also create some surround effect on sounds that are above or below you, this can give you an advantage when lots of things are going on.

A decent set of standard headphones can create those effects. Although, I've never tried 5.1 headphones so I can't speak from experience. I'm doing a bit of research and hopefully can come up with a difinitive answer if 5.1 headphones can create effects that are noticably better and what kind of quality they produce. There are, after all, several new sets of 5.1 headphones since I last looked into buying a set.

One thing that comes to mind is you need decent separation for 5.1 speakers to work effectively, you would think the drivers in 5.1 headphones are to close togather to make much of a difference.

Wicked_Klown said:
For gaming headphones I'll have to say the Plantronics Audio90s. After all when getting gaming headphones you want something with a mic.
Yeah, I have some of those too, they work well. My mic stopped working on the first pair I owned, but Plantronics replaced them for no charge.

Back