• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best gaming headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My setup:

Sennheiser HD650s (Selling a pair in the classifides right now ;))
ZuMobius cable upgrade for the 650's
Headroom Maxed out home Amp with reference electronics modules
Maudio firewire audiophile external soundcard
Audiophile black coral IC's

$2,100 total (With more additions/upgrades planned)
:attn: :attn: :attn:

now OVBIOUSLY thats not for you :p

In my expereince the 5.1 headphones sound like ***. Those who say they sound good must have only owned $10 headsets before those. The 5.1 thing is a gimmick, gives a slight seperation to the audio but if you have a decent pair of headphones that doesnt really matter.

Plantronics = garbage

The grados previously mentioned would be good except they arent the most comfortable for wearing a long time.
There are plenty of decent headphones for cheap. If you are REALLY on a budget get yourself a pair of sennheiser HD497's, can be had for around $50 and they sound excelent for the price (owned a pair for 2 years).

If you have a bit more to spend get a pair of Sennheiser HD555's Good sound from those.

Most of the 5xx line is trash (can get somthing far better for the same price). The 555's, 580's, and 595's are the best preformers out of that area.

you know, I've heard 5.1 headphones for real home theatre stuff, not on a computer yet.
for the home theatre it was really impressive.
sounded like true 5.1 to me, and was really effective for making the movie stand out more then the plain headphones beside it.
that was at bestbuy like a year ago in seattle.

now I am here in alaska, with a 10 dollar pair of earphones that came with my sony CD player, and I turn on EAX and I can't tell the difference.
I know where everything is, cause of the EAX.
maybe I just got super hearing or something, but I can't tell the difference between EAX and headphones in games, and expensive home theatre 5.1 headphones I heard a year ago.

depends on what you want to spend, I really like my senn 477s but if you want to spend a lot more you can get a lot better sound

unfortunaly i dont think there any really nice headphones that have a mic attatched though

Grado SR60's's. Definitely the best bang for your buck. You won't be able to tell the difference between them and anything more expensive unless you're listening to music on a higher quality source than your computer and are actively listening for the difference.

I think a lot of people forget the PC doesn't exactly offer the best audio quality. A Soundblaster Audigy card, despite being the best quality consumer (non professional) sound card, isn't that great. Certainly not for audiophiles. And then you consider that games aren't recorded at very high quality and spending any more than about $100 on headphones is overkill. You won't hear it because the range of your headphones and their response is beyond the requirements of the sound being produced by the game and your computer.

I enjoyed my SR60's very much, and I'll be the first to admit that my SR80's are only slightly better in most circumstances and probably a waste of money in my case. I need to buy a better amplifier to really appreciate them.

BigRed said:
My setup:

Sennheiser HD650s (Selling a pair in the classifides right now ;))
ZuMobius cable upgrade for the 650's
Headroom Maxed out home Amp with reference electronics modules
Maudio firewire audiophile external soundcard
Audiophile black coral IC's

$2,100 total (With more additions/upgrades planned)
:attn: :attn: :attn:

now OVBIOUSLY thats not for you :p

In my expereince the 5.1 headphones sound like ***. Those who say they sound good must have only owned $10 headsets before those. The 5.1 thing is a gimmick, gives a slight seperation to the audio but if you have a decent pair of headphones that doesnt really matter.

Plantronics = garbage

The grados previously mentioned would be good except they arent the most comfortable for wearing a long time.
There are plenty of decent headphones for cheap. If you are REALLY on a budget get yourself a pair of sennheiser HD497's, can be had for around $50 and they sound excelent for the price (owned a pair for 2 years).

If you have a bit more to spend get a pair of Sennheiser HD555's Good sound from those.

Most of the 5xx line is trash (can get somthing far better for the same price). The 555's, 580's, and 595's are the best preformers out of that area.

Man, I've wanted to buy a sweet set of headphones and an amp for a while, but can't justify the steap price tag at the moment. I'll bet your set up sounds as good as a $25k+ speaker setup. Thats the great thing about headphones, they sound astounding for the price and your wife doesn't ***** at you because they are too loud at night:D

OC Noob said:
Man, I've wanted to buy a sweet set of headphones and an amp for a while, but can't justify the steap price tag at the moment. I'll bet your set up sounds as good as a $25k+ speaker setup. Thats the great thing about headphones, they sound astounding for the price and your wife doesn't ***** at you because they are too loud at night:D
They do sound great :D

Everyone who has heard them at the lan parties that I help run has used the term "Eargasm" :p

Alacritan said:
I think a lot of people forget the PC doesn't exactly offer the best audio quality. A Soundblaster Audigy card, despite being the best quality consumer (non professional) sound card, isn't that great. Certainly not for audiophiles. And then you consider that games aren't recorded at very high quality and spending any more than about $100 on headphones is overkill. You won't hear it because the range of your headphones and their response is beyond the requirements of the sound being produced by the game and your computer.

That's largely true, but here's something that's pretty achievable for the average PCer... Digital output on a mobo (Like NF&-S) to a HT receiver with a headphone output. As long as it's a decent piece of equipment with enough voltage on the headphone output to drive the load your particular headphones present with lots of headroom (usually not a problem) it's going to be good enough to sound pretty much indistinguishable from anything of "higher audiophile quality". It's pretty easy with modern electronics to get below the threshold of what human ears can perceive in the eletrical domain.

Normally, differences in headphones and speakers can be heard even with mediocre equipment up stream because anything that headphones or speakers do to alter the sound (which is a question of how they do, not if they do) from the original, they do it the exact same way to an inferior recording or poorly reproduced signal as they do to a decent signal or recording. Though, I'm not saying that improving some inferior electronics or recordings couldn't make a bigger difference than the sometimes very minor differences between two high-end sets of cans.

:)

John G

i have a medusa 5.1 surround headset. works great and sounds pretty good when gaming. its for the most part directional, you can hear something from behind you but its a little hard distinguishing between the center channel and the front channel. u can pick a pair up at www.firebox.com if you were interested

John G said:
That's largely true, but here's something that's pretty achievable for the average PCer... Digital output on a mobo (Like NF&-S) to a HT receiver with a headphone output. As long as it's a decent piece of equipment with enough voltage on the headphone output to drive the load your particular headphones present with lots of headroom (usually not a problem) it's going to be good enough to sound pretty much indistinguishable from anything of "higher audiophile quality". It's pretty easy with modern electronics to get below the threshold of what human ears can perceive in the eletrical domain.

Normally, differences in headphones and speakers can be heard even with mediocre equipment up stream because anything that headphones or speakers do to alter the sound (which is a question of how they do, not if they do) from the original, they do it the exact same way to an inferior recording or poorly reproduced signal as they do to a decent signal or recording. Though, I'm not saying that improving some inferior electronics or recordings couldn't make a bigger difference than the sometimes very minor differences between two high-end sets of cans.

:)

John G

It also depends on volume and how well trained your ear is. You'd be amazed what some of these audiophiles can hear. Its just like a musician with a trained ear. Good for us most people (like me) don't notice that much of a difference, or atleast not enough to bother me.

Computer sources suffer from all sorts of interferance that you won't get with a high end amp and the source quality is often much lower. i.e. DVD-A/SA-CD vs 128kb (is it kb?) MP3's from the Napster equivlant. Even if the source is a quality and the equiptment it was running through was a $10k+ tube system it will still suffer from interference from all that junk in the computer. Computers are just poor sources for audio, but then again like you said most people aren't going to notice the difference unless they have a high end system for reference.

And with headphones you can throw the headphone amp into the equation. Audiophiles swear it makes a world of difference with their high end cups, but I have no experince with those amps though, so I can't say from experince. Most headphone jacks on recievers don't put out much voltage so I can see the amps making some difference.

Anyway, my point is there is a percievable difference there, it may not be a big difference depending on who you ask, but it is there:)

ps there are also errors of omision where the sound just isn't produced on low end equiptment rather then there being a difference in the sound quality.

Saying there is no noticeable difference between Low-fi sources, PCDP, and mid-fi setups, a comp with a DECENT NON AUDIGY SOUND CARD, between 2 headphones of different prices isn't true. I tested some Sennheiser 580s and tehy sounded WAY better then my 497s with mp3s alone with cd's it was heaven. Now i didn't buy those 580's because they were too reserved for me and i got some Grado sr225s which just cream my 497s.

i use some ****ty koss ur-15 it hurtz when there on for to long the sound isnt clean but.... the bass is awsome , and so is the price jus 20bux :)

koss20100 said:
i use some ****ty koss ur-15 it hurtz when there on for to long the sound isnt clean but.... the bass is awsome , and so is the price jus 20bux :)
Speak of the devil, I just bought a set of Koss U-18s today! Much better than using crappy regular headphones.

Tatuya said:
Speak of the devil, I just bought a set of Koss U-18s today! Much better than using crappy regular headphones.

Yeah, its funny how much better just going with a decent set of $20 or $30 cans is over the included headphones with a CD player or whatever. Its like they s**t in a cup and attach a wire with a 1/8" jack to them:D

Ive got a pair of the 5.1 Zalman headphones, had them about 3 weeks now and have no complaints whatsoever! The bass is pretty good and the surround sound effect does work well IMO. Have worn them for long periods of time too and they have been very comfortable for me. I got mine in the UK for about £35 and i think they are well worth it :)

Like I said before. Those who have heard much better headphones think that the 5.1 ones are crap. The drivers in them just arnt that good.

They just put 6 of them in.
6 crap speakers does not = good :p

BigRed said:
Like I said before. Those who have heard much better headphones think that the 5.1 ones are crap. The drivers in them just arnt that good.

They just put 6 of them in.
6 crap speakers does not = good :p

I have tried tons of different headphones and speakers, so this is a fair analysis. The sound quality is average, these aren't exactly meant for music, they are for games and movies. How often do you listen to music on a surround setup rather than some good stereo speakers?

Bensa said:
I have tried tons of different headphones and speakers, so this is a fair analysis. The sound quality is average, these aren't exactly meant for music, they are for games and movies. How often do you listen to music on a surround setup rather than some good stereo speakers?

Maybe the .1% of people who buy DVD-A or SA-CD and probably most of them don't, lol.

I'm begining to wonder if we will ever advance beyond CDs for mainstream music. With MP3's that step has become very difficult and with it 5.1 music. I guess until they can offer something more tangible then slightly increased quality (which most people can't take advatage of anyway) and 5.1 music its going to be a while before a new format take hold.

Its a shame you need a special player for DVD-A (to take advantage of what it offers over CDs) otherwise it might be more popular.

Anyway, yeah HT and gaming rather then music is a good use for 5.1 headphones. You are still going to get sounds omitted and things like that, but as stated games don't usually have high quality audio anyway.

OC Noob said:
It also depends on volume and how well trained your ear is. You'd be amazed what some of these audiophiles can hear. Its just like a musician with a trained ear. Good for us most people (like me) don't notice that much of a difference, or atleast not enough to bother me.

Computer sources suffer from all sorts of interferance that you won't get with a high end amp and the source quality is often much lower. i.e. DVD-A/SA-CD vs 128kb (is it kb?) MP3's from the Napster equivlant. Even if the source is a quality and the equiptment it was running through was a $10k+ tube system it will still suffer from interference from all that junk in the computer. Computers are just poor sources for audio, but then again like you said most people aren't going to notice the difference unless they have a high end system for reference.

And with headphones you can throw the headphone amp into the equation. Audiophiles swear it makes a world of difference with their high end cups, but I have no experince with those amps though, so I can't say from experince. Most headphone jacks on recievers don't put out much voltage so I can see the amps making some difference.

Anyway, my point is there is a percievable difference there, it may not be a big difference depending on who you ask, but it is there:)

ps there are also errors of omision where the sound just isn't produced on low end equiptment rather then there being a difference in the sound quality.

I'll start off with that I'm a huge "audio" guy... A lot more so than I am a computer guy. I sometimes drive my wife a little crazy with it, though I have converted her to a large degree. :p I do have a lot in common with the weird "audiophiles" that write in the magazines and stuff. I do have one major difference with the typical audiophile guys, though... That is that I try to be objective and use scientific basis as much as possible.

Audiophiles do hear all kinds of incredible nuance and such in systems... A lot of it is real. But...a lot of it is simply in their head. Hearing is a function of our brain translating nerve impulses from our ears into useful information. Knowing that, it's not hard to see the reality of psychoacoustics. The medical community has long used the scientific method to test drugs. They give people the real thing, and they give other people placebo to try to eliminate the psychological factor in their testing. Audio testing also requires that the psychological factor be eliminated to get valid results.

In a lot of these magazines and such, you'll see reviews and articles about amplifiers. How they compare, which sounds better, etc... They will say with absolute certainty that they hear some special quality in one amp that isn't the same in the other. Warm midrange, smooth highs, fuller bass, sparkling detail, and all sorts of adjectives that people would normally use to describe food... All in an attempt to say that the amp simply has a sonic character that causes it to sound different than the other amp at the same volume and neither amp distorting. And, these are usually extremely high quality amps with ruler flat response, very low distortion, noise free, etc...great specs.

I have heard those sorts of differences in amps myself, although I would have been hard pressed to put descriptive terms on them like they do. I probably would have just said, "This one creates a slightly more believable auditory illusion." And, maybe try to pinpoint why.

But, how do you eliminate psychological effects from testing amps? With a double blind test.

There's a guy named Richard Clark...he has a lot of education with audio stuff and science and physics in general. Has made a lot of money for himself, owns a company that makes CD's, and a few other ventures. Has some patents on various audio stuff that he developed. Someone introduced double blind testing to him years ago and he learned that with amps, as long as they meet certain standards (basically a decent, modern amp without serious design flaws) and are used within their linear operating range (not into distortion) that people cannot reliably tell the difference between two amps with their sense of hearing. He brought it up to the community...some accepted it, most did not. He ended up refining his test and turning it into a $10,000 challenge. If anyone can tell the difference between any two amps that meet some very basic requirements in his double blind test, they win $10,000 of his own money. If they lose, nothing happens other than a possible education on amps. So far, thousands have taken his challenge...no one has won.

Basically, in that challenge, people get to pick what amps, what speakers, what music, have control of the volume the whole time, and can switch between amp A, amp B, and an unknown that is either A or B at will. Their task it to try to determine if the unknown is A or B, then rinse and repeat. They are unaware which amp is actually playing, and the person administering the test is also unaware since the unknown is randomly generated by a computer. (That's the double blind part.) People often believe they hear a difference while taking the test and are getting it right every time...expect to get a perfect score, then end up with results as though they had flipped a coin each time. Some people realize part way through the test that all three options sound the same once they can only rely on their sense of hearing.

This is not to say that all amps are the same...because they are not. More power is still better. Features still matter. Build quality can still be a factor. Price is a factor. Aesthetics...size....some have design issues. And, some amps actually purposely change the sound...but, then they are no longer just providing amplification. The guy who does that challenge still likes buying expensive amps.

There's a lot of things in audio that, as long as they meet certain requirements, they don't contribute to the sound of the system in an audible way. Sensitive test equipment may be able to show a difference, but it doesn't mean we can percieve it with our hearing. Wires & cables, preamps, and CD players are often things that also fall under that catagory. Not always, but often. Something that people with good, trained ears can almost always show that they can hear a difference between in a double blind test is speakers. Media formats are an interesting topic...

Computers aren't necessarily a bad source for audio... Computers are used a lot in recording studios nowadays. They're capable of doing very well. Where computers normally start to have issues is when the audio signal gets out of the digital domain and into the analog domain. Computer parts are often designed to be as cheap as possible and corners are cut in the circuit design. Low output, high noise floor, poor regulation. It doesn't take much money to get good results, but in PC parts, you're rarely going to get something that isn't compromised in some way. The easiest thing that I've found to do is simply to never leave the digital domain until outside of the PC. I was overjoyed when nVidia introduced hardware Dolby Digital encoding in the nForce chipsets...awesome audio at an integrated price!

Headphone amps do make a difference...especially with a lot of higher end cans that have relatively high nominal impedance. A lot of headphone outputs are capable of enough wattage to get very loud, but not necessarily enough voltage...there is a distinction there. Directly from the computer, you might not have either...along with poor dynamic range, high noise floor, etc... Headphone amps can solve a dynamic range problem.

:) Hopefully I didn't bore the pants off people.

John G

OC Noob said:
Maybe the .1% of people who buy DVD-A or SA-CD and probably most of them don't, lol.

I'm begining to wonder if we will ever advance beyond CDs for mainstream music. With MP3's that step has become very difficult and with it 5.1 music. I guess until they can offer something more tangible then slightly increased quality (which most people can't take advatage of anyway) and 5.1 music its going to be a while before a new format take hold.

Its a shame you need a special player for DVD-A (to take advantage of what it offers over CDs) otherwise it might be more popular.

Anyway, yeah HT and gaming rather then music is a good use for 5.1 headphones. You are still going to get sounds omitted and things like that, but as stated games don't usually have high quality audio anyway.
Most good, newer, dvd players can play DVD-A
I have one hooked up to my headphone setup for that very purpose :p

I agree with John on the double blind tests. That test could apply to so many other things that would show a lot of people how much they really didn't know that they thought they did. From really being able to tell the difference between which beer to which speakers, which amp, which headphone, how much aniso you have on, etc etc etc. So many other factors, senses/nuances/brain processing/emotion etc are being used besides the one that is thought is being used and probably the most important factor is that it is known before it is tried (an expectation or lack of one is going to be a powerful influence right from the gate). I bet even a great number of people in this thread would flunk a double blind test on which headphones were being used if the exact same pads/harness was used for each, they were blindfolded, and they didn't know what was what. Sure some might be able to tell a crappy set from a good set but I bet there would be an awful lot of surprised faces at the end.

Senses are a wonder thing but senses can be tricked by the brain.

Last edited:
Back