• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who leaves their system on 24/7 like me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

I'm just curious how many of you let your systems run 24/7... I'm talking not even a standby. My system is on all the time... I sleep my monitors but that's about it.

Why I don't know, I work from my office on my home-dt quite a bit, and run a lot of media at night off my system. Other than that there is really no reason, but I do let it run all the time...

Who's with me! :)

I leave mine on. I'm always worried that if I turn it off, the vrms will blow when I power it back on :p

Also, I hate waiting for the bios to load. I'm impatient like that, heh.

I generally leave mine on.

Superstitiously believe power off/on is worse for the caps that just running

My main desktop? No, I'll do a complete shutdown when I'm not using it. I'm not paying the power bill, so I'd rather not **** anyone off. In fact I don't really leave any system running 24/7. They're all running SSD boot drives except my NAS, so I don't really have anything that goes from totally off to useable in more than ~25 seconds.

I shut down, I believe the two schools of thought are A- like squrl stated, caps like to stay on, or B- rebooting software, windows....is good remove memory leakage and reduce temp fe sizes. Course, done this since like... Well almost 30 yrs or so. 24/7=better for hardware on/off= better for software. Hoping to hear some thoughts on this thread, any truth to either with current day OS's and hardware ?

Mine stays on. Plex server plus a few other things need to run all the time.

Much easier to jump on for 3 minutes if you don't need to wait for boot up.

Prior to this I kept it in an S3 or S4 state (I can't remember)

i leave mine on all the time. and they are mining when they are "idle". i do turn them off to maintenance them every few days though.

Always leave mine one. Gotta love that uptime. Don't think I've gotten very far past 2 months though. :(

Monitors go off however.

Well, the old girl has not seen more than 2 hours of shutdown since I picked up mining..... so ya, 24/7/365 :cool:

Only my laptop never really goes off. But it's a laptop... Lol.

All other computers in the house are shut down when not in use. And they're all ssd based so 30 seconds and they're all back on anyway...

That said, my main computer has an issue with booting. And I'm not sure if it's hardware or bios. But once it's on I've not had any issues...

Even when recovering from sleep it might not like it... Eh.

I leave my D2700 home server on all the time. That's what it's made for. Only uses 20W or so once the main hard drive spins down.

I only leave my main machine running all the time during the winter months or if I need it to be running for something I'm doing. Averages 200W when optimized for performance per watt, which turns out to be about 3.4GHz for my particular setup. (I have a cron script that checks for performance-critical apps every minute and automatically unlocks the full 4GHz overclock I'm currently running.)

Test setups aren't even plugged in unless I'm using them.

Back