• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Copying/Moving dialog box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thirty-Six

Hello OCF! i am in need of your expertise.

Situation: moving a file named Cat.png from desktop into my pictures where another cat.png exists, gives me 3 options: move and replace, Dont move, and move, but keep both files, which changes one to cat(2).png

However, now theres a picture named cat.png in my webrowser, and i want to drag it into my pictures. That last option to keep both files doesnt show up.

I would like it to, How can this be done? registry? group policy?

TLDR: Want the option to 'move, but keep both files' all the time.

Why not just save the picture from the web browser and move it?

My usual approach is to drag it onto my desktop, and then into the desired folder. as this requires the least amount of clicks. But i have to do this about 50 times per day with files that all have the same name. and it get extremely tedious.

a long term, time saving solution would be godsend.

I certainly can, but I'm sorry that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. What I am trying to configure is the third button on the moving/copying dialog box to show up in any situation it is not, because frankly, it should be there. I see no reason Microsoft left that out in some places but has it in others.

That being said, thank you for your suggestion.

Not only did Microsoft developers take out some of the old useful copy-paste dialogs, they did it in a way that not even Classic Shell programs can bring them back.

For example, nothing can adjust Windows 8's copy-paste prompt which has no information whatsoever facepalm.gif on the initial screen, requiring additional clicks ThumbsDown.gif for each of the many files you are working on.

Attachments

• Copy-Paste-Win8.png
    Copy-Paste-Win8.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Copy-Paste-WinXP.png
    Copy-Paste-WinXP.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 27
Back