• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window 7 or 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sxcd1

I currently have a licensed copy of Window 7 Pro OEM for a custom build computer. Recently I purchased new part to build another machine.
Should I purchase Window 7 Pro and upgrade to 10 or go directly to 10? (not sure how 10 will work out)
Can I transfer my license from my old machine to the new one?

Welcome to the forums. Install Windows 10 OVER Windows 7/8 once, that will permanently register your machine with Windows 10 for free.
Then you can either go back to Windows 7/8 or have the option to go up to Windows 10 at any point in the future if you wish.

Newer Windows 10 builds may allow you to install Windows 10 using a Windows 7 key.

In either case, it's a smart move to install Windows 10 before July 2016, so that you have a free *choice* between the two.

I wouldn't go out of my way to spend money on Win7 though, unless you have a specific reason.
Windows 8 + Classic Shell is identical to Windows 7 in every way and is snappier and I would choose a Windows 8 + Classic Shell combo as an option to Windows 10.

Things that are problematic in Windows 10 are not problematic in Windows 8... but they may be insignificant to a lot of people.
Windows 8 has an option for Windows Media Center, has less privacy issues, does not force install each and every update (including optional & unnecessary updates) the moment you try to check for Windows Updates (like Windows 10 does)... things of that nature.

Welcome to the forums. Install Windows 10 OVER Windows 7/8 once, that will permanently register your machine with Windows 10 for free.
Then you can either go back to Windows 7/8 or have the option to go up to Windows 10 at any point in the future if you wish.

Newer Windows 10 builds may allow you to install Windows 10 using a Windows 7 key.

In either case, it's a smart move to install Windows 10 before July 2016, so that you have a free *choice* between the two.

I wouldn't go out of my way to spend money on Win7 though, unless you have a specific reason.
Windows 8 + Classic Shell is identical to Windows 7 in every way and is snappier and I would choose a Windows 8 + Classic Shell combo as an option to Windows 10.

Things that are problematic in Windows 10 are not problematic in Windows 8... but they may be insignificant to a lot of people.
Windows 8 has an option for Windows Media Center, has less privacy issues, does not force install each and every update (including optional & unnecessary updates) the moment you try to check for Windows Updates (like Windows 10 does)... things of that nature.
Windows 10 isn't horrid, and I did actually get it to install with an older Win7 OEM key. It activated, and all, with a digital entitlement, so I would say that's working. (You can actually skip entering a product key altogether while installing Windows, and simply enter the key and activate it later on, once things are up and running.) It's also supported for a good long while (at least 2020, I think), whereas mainstream support for Windows 7 is already over. (Long-term enterprise support will end for Windows 7 in 2020.)

I concur on the privacy issues in Win10; you can protect yourself better by turning off the settings, including Cortana, that send your various information to Microsoft. Beware the stealth resets that tend to happen when Windows is updated, though. (I should point out, I don't actually use Windows 10 for anything I care about; I have Linux and MacOS for things that I do care about, and Windows 10 exists to run games that depend upon Windows.)

I also agree with your sentiments on Windows 8. With the classic shell, it's non-abhorrent, and every bit as good as 7.

I have windows 8 on my laptop and don't like it. It seems like all the stuff is hidden in the user interface. I'll have to give the Classic Shell a try. I would prefer not buying the oldest of the group. Thanks for all the input.

Back