• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[WIP]SG10 Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So how long are we looking at with this build STH, just finished mine and its working fantastic so yours should be Awesome!! AJ.

Well. It'll be finished in steps. I'm going to wire up the fans and test if they work today. Another day I'll hook up the aquaero and poweradjust and update their firmwares. Then yet another day I'll fill the loop and connect the powersupply and check that everythings still working and that my mounts are good. Then drain and disassemble and get the bench repowder coated. While that's happening I will do my sleeving on the cables, and so on and on. Probably a long while now before it's exactly where I want it but there will be many more updates for people to see.

I went and got some more supplies for cabling/sleeving today:
DSC_0183.JPG

Yeah i understand it will be ready when things are done perfect and how you want them, thanks for the photo log. I looked at it last night. GL AJ.

Filled the loop finally.

DSC_0204 (Medium).JPG

Fired it up and the first thing to hit my senses is the smell of burning rubber and smoke. Coming from 5 fan splitter I used to connect all 9 fans to as a temporary solution. Disconnected that and fired it up without fans and it boots!

DSC_0205 (Medium).JPG

You'll notice Theres a massive tube reservoir connected to the rad. Got that from Daz today and hooked it into the unused port on the top of the rad with a quick disconnect. Made filling the loop much easier. and when its done and bled I can just 'quickly disconnect' it. Pretty happy with how that worked out.

I've decided I'm going to de-solder the fans completely and make the perfect custom cables to connect to the aquaero.

When i did my fans you will find that the limit is 3 Fans per fan header, so with that you can run a splitter. Which is 3 into 1 that way you can regulate each bank of fans via the BIOS, also there is a Voltage and current limit to each header of 1 amps according to ASUS.
So you need to be careful you don't burn out your Fan headers, the only other way you could do this is to incorporate a MOLEX CONNECTOR to supplement the power to the FANS!!! I am running 10 Fans here of my Mobo, so just be careful and it will work for STH.

Best of luck,

AJ.

P.S. If you need any more help just ask!!

Last edited:
When i did my fans you will find that the limit is 3 Fans per fan header, so with that you can run a splitter. Which is 3 into 1 that way you can regulate each back of fans via the BIOS, also there is a Voltage and current limit to each header of 1 amps according to ASUS.
So you need to be careful you don't burn out your Fan headers, the only other way you could do this is to incorporate a MOLEX CONNECTOR to supplement the power to the FANS!!! I am running 10 Fans here of my Mobo, so just be careful and it will work for STH.

Best of luck,

AJ.

P.S. If you need any more help just ask!!

I don't think its possible without doing damage running all those fans on 1 header or 2 on the MB. My guess is he has a power unit powering them all up with possibly a RPM sensor going to one header for control. I could be wrong.

No i wasn't running 9 fans off a mb header. I was using a 5 fan splitter to connect the 4 3 pin connectors to a molex. Th at was how I tested the fans before attaching them to the rad. The problem was I spliced the fans and insulated the connections with liquid electrical tape. When I squished the fan cables into the really tight area between the fans and the radiator grill I must have shorted out one or more of the fans by rubbing off the let. I'll be recabling them and using proper heatshrink to insulate the connections. Also not going to use sleeve on them so that cables fit in the tight space.

To explain t he way I'm connected them: there are 3 fans spliced together. Those will go to the poweradjust unit. There are 3 sets of two fans spliced together those will go to the aquaero . I haven't hooked up the aquaero yet so I had them connected to 4 connections of a 5 fan splitter I had lying around.

OK fine about that i am just trying to help you and make you aware that it would be easy to Burn out a Header if you not careful!

Rgards,

AJ.

Last edited:
Ok so, pretty sure I dont have the skill required to resolder the contacts on the fan PCB. Was able to desolder the wires fine but not get new ones on. So if anyone with better soldering located in toronto wants 9 Vinyl dyed Swiftech 140mm fans you're welcome to them. I'm going to get 9 more and wire them up properly as well as try out RIT dye instead of the spray stuff.

Going to be making some changes mid way through this build.

Selling my GPU's and waiting for the 780TI Classified to come out. Going to change the tube routing so that the CPU and GPU can be removed easily without draining the loop. Changing to clear tubes and colored fluids as well. Stay tuned for updates.

2013-12-02 17.37.56.jpg

2013-12-02 17.38.37.jpg

While I wait for the 780ti Classy to come out this is how its working. Please don't mind the unsleeved cables I'm also waiting on an MDPC order.

First stab at editing a photo.

trident.jpg

Attachments

• trident.jpg
    trident.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I was about to say hey where is all that work you did on the WC gone to??? So this is just to get things up and running while your waiting for things to arrive yeah!! Even so that Bench Nano still looks the part there STH!!

Respect,

AJ.

Back