• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your storage setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How do your have your operating system drive(s) set up for speed?

• Single 2MB Cache Parallel Drive

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Single 8MB Cache Parallel Drive

Votes: 56 27.2%
  • Single 36GB Raptor

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Single 74GB Raptor

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • RAID With Parallel Drives

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • RAID With 36GB Raptors

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • RAID With 74GB Raptors

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Two 2MB PATA On The Same IDE Channel

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Two 8MB PATA On The Same IDE Channel

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Two PATA Drives With Unlike Cache On The Same IDE Channel

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
single 36gb raptor for windows/a few games/a few apps
120gb 8mb SATA maxtor for games/demos/pics/movies etc
60gb quantum for backup and large downloads

Clarity?

Well I am currently running with a 80GB WD 8MB Cache HDD and I am planning on buidling a new system. But after reading this two things have come up, that I hope you all can clarify.

Quotes like this from tom10167 make me ponder my original plan.
tom10167 said:
I would say it is within margin of error of a huge processor/ram upgrade.

I went from a PIII 450 and 256 megs to a XP3200 and 1GB ram and I was shocked.

I feel the same way about the Raptor, after the Raptor I would say the hard drive is the most neglected performance piece of hardware in the machine. Save the PSU money and buy a Raptor. :)

Original Plan:
80GB WD PATA 8MB Cache HDD Paritioned (40GB/40GB) =Windows XP (Gaming OS) : Windows .NET 2003 (CD/DVD Burning, Development ...i.e. .NET (duh!)) and a WD 80GB Raptor 7200RPM SATA for Games / Music / Movies to reside on.

----------
But according to what I have read would this 7200RPM SATA (Raptor) drive be worthwhile.

And that other non-raptor SATA drives are not real SATA drives. ????

Or should I go with a 74 GB 10000RPM Raptor (SATA) & a 80GB 7200RPM Rapter in a Non-Raid setup, but in place to the 80GB PATA. ????

The issue is a $200 price jump in the system I building if I get the 10000RPM Raptor.

Any thoughts.....anyone?

I posted earlier, but now I'm updating.

If tomorrow goes right I should have a single 74gig Raptor and two 1600JD's. The 1600JD's will be set up as independent drives, purely for storage, and each will have its own pagefile to get the RAIDed pagefile effect going. The 800JB I have now is being sold.

wow that will give u some performance and a lot of storage, what do u stick on your hdd for like 320gb of storage + what ever is on your raptor (windows + games i would of thought)

Phil

2x200GB seagate 7200.7 in RAID0 for windows, apps and storage

2x60GB WD no raid for backup

1x80GB & 1x120GB Maxtor for removable storage

over 1.2TB on our internal network :santa2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back