• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Configuration : Your Opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poulpii

Registered
Hello,

I want to setup a new pc but I need your advices and recommendations and your help specially on watercooling system :

The Goal for CPU (watercooled) is to reach the 4 Ghz @ 200mhz FSB ROCK STABLE.
The Goal for GPU is to have the possibility to include 2 geforces (watercooled) in SLI (2X) in the future.
(The choice of graphic card is definitive, I need a CUDA DirectX 11 card )
The Global Goal is to have a Quiet Configuration.

List of Component :

Processor : Intel i7 920 step D0
MotherBoard : EVGA X58 SLI LE link or ASUS Rampage II Extreme link
Memory : G.Skill Trident 3x 2Go 1600 DDR3 Memory Kit Ref : F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD link
Graphic Card : EVGA Geforce GTX 480 Hydro Copper link
Case : Mountains Mods H2gO link
PSU : Antec 850W TruePower Quattro link
Hard Drive 1 : INTEL X25-M 80Go (V2 - PostVille) link
Hard Drive 2 : Western Digital 500Go S-ATA II 16Mo Caviar Green link

WaterCooling :
I want to watercool the CPU and GPU(s), apparently it’s not necessary to watercool the chipset of motherboard to reach the 4GHZ.
But I never setup a watercooling system and I’m a little worried about this…

Reservoir :
Swiftech MCR220-QP Res (Dunno if the fans are included) link
Pump : Swiftech MCP655 Pump with speed controller link
CPU Block : Swiftech Apogee XT
Tubbing and Fitting : I don’t know :(
Fluid : Distilled water
I hope I forget nothing…

Waiting your comments, thanks !

Last edited:
The i7 will hit 4.0GHz on air and be rock stable. You should be able to get it up to 4.4 or higher and still have it rock stable with watercooling.

Are you sure you want to go with a 480? The 5970 will eat up 480, only about 50 quid more (in the UK anyway), runs a LOT cooler and it's a whole load quieter meaning you won't have to watercool them.

I recommend the 850W but if you're considering a second card in the future then you'll want to go with a 1kW PSU (especially if it's going to be 2 480's both watercooled).

So yeh, watercool that i7 and possibly watercool the chipset as well after the CPU. This is just to increase the lifespan of it. Get a 5970 or possibly a second one but don't watercool them, you'll want to have a second loop for the 480s since they'll burn if you don't.

Hopefully someone can recommend you some watercooling parts, I have no experiance with which exact parts to get.

Can't recommend that case since I've never actually heard of it before, you'll be going purely on reviews.

Hopefully I've helped here :thup:

The i7 will hit 4.0GHz on air and be rock stable. You should be able to get it up to 4.4 or higher and still have it rock stable with watercooling.

Are you sure you want to go with a 480? The 5970 will eat up 480, only about 50 quid more (in the UK anyway), runs a LOT cooler and it's a whole load quieter meaning you won't have to watercool them.

I recommend the 850W but if you're considering a second card in the future then you'll want to go with a 1kW PSU (especially if it's going to be 2 480's both watercooled).

So yeh, watercool that i7 and possibly watercool the chipset as well after the CPU. This is just to increase the lifespan of it. Get a 5970 or possibly a second one but don't watercool them, you'll want to have a second loop for the 480s since they'll burn if you don't.

Hopefully someone can recommend you some watercooling parts, I have no experiance with which exact parts to get.

Can't recommend that case since I've never actually heard of it before, you'll be going purely on reviews.

Hopefully I've helped here :thup:

I agree with everything you said but just incase you want to stick with the 480 the 5970 is only around 10% faster. I hear some new updates will improve it further so they are more equal but I am not 100% sure.

I need a CUDA powerfull directx 11 graphic card, so I have no choice lol
The real problem with GTX 480 is the number of watt she eat... I must make some deeper search about this point with SLI

Any reason in particular that you need a graphics card that uses cuda?

Also, I don't think you would need to WC the chipset, unless you had absolutely no airflow in the case. Some big, low speed case fans would easily get enough airflow to cool the chipset without creating much noise.

With the setup you have, I just don't see the reason for watercooling.. why WC?

4GHz on air is very easy, and the GTX480's stock cooler is already very good, you just need to play around with the fan settings.

-D

I need a CUDA powerfull directx 11 graphic card, so I have no choice lol
The real problem with GTX 480 is the number of watt she eat... I must make some deeper search about this point with SLI
What exactly are you going to use the computer for? gaming software coding etc?

With the setup you have, I just don't see the reason for watercooling.. why WC?

4GHz on air is very easy, and the GTX480's stock cooler is already very good, you just need to play around with the fan settings.

-D

It's to reduce the Noise...

What exactly are you going to use the computer for? gaming software coding etc?

Yeah, similar, rendering with cpu/GPU render engine

Just looked in and after a quick skim, you can't honestly think a 220rad is going to be able to keep an oc'ed 920 and a bonfire of a graphics card within even reasonable temps? If you are going to run a single loop, I would go with atleast a single 320, or two 220's.

I want to know why you would want Cuda anymore... Fermi is miles better but still doesn't make it worth the extra price/sound/heat.

So yeh, what are you planning to do with all that useless power? :p

I want to know why you would want Cuda anymore... Fermi is miles better but still doesn't make it worth the extra price/sound/heat.

So yeh, what are you planning to do with all that useless power? :p

I understand your question and you will understand my answer :
I will do some CUDA computing : rendering with cpu/gpu render engine :)

Back