• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Download Windows 8 Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PanteraGSTK

Windows 8 pre-beta preview

Hey guys. I just got through with AnandTech's windows 8 preview and it is pretty interesting to see what is to come. Check it out. Hopefully this won't be another ME or Vista. Windows 7 is rock solid for me so there would have to be some pretty compelling features for me to even dream of upgrading.

Tablets seem to be the main focus at this point.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4771/microsoft-build-windows-8-pre-beta-preview

I'm also grabbing a copy for the heck of it. Thanks for the link.

Woah. It's so weird. Gonna take A LOT of getting used to. From what I read somewhere you can disable the whole metro tile thing and use it more like regular Windows. Gonna have dig through some settings tomorrow.

Well I throughly hate MS. However, being an IT person I suppose its my duty to inform myself about the new nightmare thats coming... Off to download it.

god, this whole metro interface is SO not conducive to a desktop environment.... a tablet interface ya sure i get it... but this "almost to easy to use" bs makes it so hard to do anything worthwhile on the desktop....

hell it took me a good 3 min to find the button to shut down the computer.... hover in the bottom right > click settings > power > shutdown

this was running in a virtualbox vm (set it up as windows 7) ... creating an image of my laptop, so i can shrink the win 7 partition to install this win 8 to truly give it a go in a proper environment. (but really, im shrinking the partition so i can install ubuntu for school work programming) haha.

Edit - i knwo this is just a developer beta version... but i dont think this interface is going to change much.

Edit - after installing on my laptop (core 2 duo 45nm p6600 4gb of ram) it ran decently fast after i installed chipset and vga drivers. but god, the user interface is SO hard to navigate to do anything worthwhile past open up explorer / internet explorer.... looks like ill be sticking with 7 if the RTM of 8 is anything close to this dev release.

Last edited:
Back