• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

<< Race Info >>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

[color=#02abcdf]
* Race Info *
[/color]

chimp1.jpg

What: The Great Chimp Challenge of 2012, a Team folding race to benefit Folding @ Home

When: May 15th** through May 25th. (officially) Pacific Daylight Savings Time

Purpose: Officially: Fun, and more exposure for Folding@Home.
21111 Unofficially: Melt the servers, of course! :thup:

Who: Racing teams will be :
EVGA, OCN, TSC! OCAU, Tech Power Up!, Hardware Canucks/NCIX, and Custom PC & Bit Tech, and us.

How To Take Part:
1. Download and install folding at home from Stanford HERE by clicking "Windows All Versions"
2. Use the following info to join the race with us:

Our racing username is: T32monkeys
Our team number is: 32
Our public passkey is: 3311d92fd7ee331bd66dfe6eea01708b

<< The racing name, team number, and passkey must be as above, in order to race! >>
(or a qualified passkey)

Truth is, we're one of the smaller teams in the race, so we need to recruit in this last week before the race. AND, this is great for F@Home's exposure to new folders. Know a friend or two with a computer? Invite them to race with us! :D

We're a small team, but we're definitely NOT a weak team! :thup:

The folding program is available free from Stanford University, where Folding@Home is directed by Professor Vijay Pande. Our work units come from Professor Pande, and his associate researchers, at Universities all over the world.

Get the folding program here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Folding@Home is the largest distributed computer project in the world, with thousands of teams and hundreds of thousands of computers. All running these simulations to help us understand how our critical proteins prepare themselves to work, and how it can go wrong. Diseases studied range from Cancer, to Influenza, Alzheimer's to Huntingtons and Mad Cow/CJ disease.

Results are freely available to medical researchers worldwide, and have already been used to increase the effectiveness of a breast cancer drug, while decreasing the toxicity of that drug.

We're having fun, but it's fun with a definite purpose - to help discover cures and better treatments.

The army of folders against disease and ignorance of our own proteins, is forming -- new hardware is coming on-line, old hardware is being re-commissioned for this task. Operating systems are being changed, VM's set into place. Recruiting is proceeding at an unparalleled pace.

Team 32 is on the move!
There is a rumor that we're trying to turn in so many work units, that F@Home's servers will overheat.

That is a lie.

We're going to turn in so many work units that those servers will melt into a little puddle of bubbling goo! :p

We have one week left - recruit your friends and associates, and get ready to race!

**Start racing on the 14th so you have work units ready to turn in, on the 15th.

Last edited:
:bump: for the last day before we start folding for the Chimp Challenge.

Switching my machines over tonight so I can go ahead and ramp up for the race. Cant wait to see what kind of numbers we're going to put down.

~FA

Same here, brought a linux disk in to swap the work computer over and realized that I've never bought an optical drive for this thing :head bang

I should be getting a 3570k today to go along with the 2600k in FAH service.

I think we've had our first fatality already too, one of my friends said something about loosing a PhII X4.

Should I be stockpiling work units? I submitted some things today already, not sure how to save them for tomorrow.

Figured not knowing any better however, it was best for me to probably just make sure everything was running ahead of time.

Should I be stockpiling work units? I submitted some things today already, not sure how to save them for tomorrow.

Figured not knowing any better however, it was best for me to probably just make sure everything was running ahead of time.

Stockpiling is a big no-no. It hurts science and is considered cheating.

In case anyone is wondering it hurts science because unlike a lot of DC projects stanford only sends out 1 copy of each work unit and many time the next unit in the series can't be sent out until it gets your results back and computes the next one needed. So it's best to just try to time starting the work unit properly and not stock pile them.

Life is still kicking my rear, but I've got both rigs converted over to T32monkeys.

I just peaked in at the backup laptop - its running 2 units, one of which is worth 7718 points! ETA is 2.5 days tho, so glad I've got it cooking now. The other unit is worth 1K+, but it should be done in a couple hours and it was only started this afternoon so that ain't bad either.

Folding has come a long way, with how many points it gives per WU, as well as with the installation - v7 was a breeze.

I'm up and running but did the passkey change?

There is more than one passkey. I like to keep one private via PM, and have another one that is more accessible, that is public.

Yes, V7 is a game changer - not all the kinks are out of it, but it's getting better. Oddly, the projects assigned to it, are not the high point producers yet.

If you have a rig that can run Linux, loading up the folding client 6.34 and using it (even in a VM), will give a large boost in points.

@torin3: :welcome: to the race! :clap:

Last edited:
My impression is that the passkey prevents unauthorized use of a username. This is important because if a given username fails to return too many WUs in a given period or sends back too many borked units it will lose its SMP bonus points.
SMP bonus points are something like 95% of the points you get these days, so that is huge.

In theory if we had a few computers to spare and knew all of OCN's passkeys for their chimp challenge account we could submit a ton of borked units and kill their SMP points, winning the challenge easily.
If the passkey system didn't exist all we'd have to do is tell our FAH clients we're folding as their chimp name.
In reality that is a horrible idea for a number of reasons and I'd be mighty peeved to find anybody trying it, but that is why the passkey exists as far as I know.

Unrelated: My 3570k is churning out >27kPPD now. Time to set up the 2600k and 3870k.

Back