• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Merlin SM8 Watercooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

csimon

As I begin my new build from the case onward I will list parts being purchased, as well as parts I am considering, as well as parts I plan to reuse.

This will be a drawn out build so don't expect instant results. Also, please feel free to express your expertise.

I am a functional type of guy, and usually ignore the aesthetics to some degree, however, I do appreciate tidiness when it comes to cable management, and placement of most things. This new case should afford me plenty of area behind the motherboard tray area to put all of the ugliness out of sight, and what I can't hide I can always sleeve.

Unfortunately, I'm not concerned about color coordination either.

Enough dialog. Here we go.

Parts Ordered:

Case: (as ordered) Caselabs
Merlin SM8 Case
Case Color: Black Matte
Orientation: Reverse
MB Door Style: Ventilated
Cable Side Door: Ventilated
Top Cover: Ventilated
Top Chassis Mount: Drop-in Style with 120.4 mount
Bottom Chassis Mount: 120.4 Radiator Mount
I/O Panel: USB 3.0/HD Audio
Flex-Bay Covers: Ventilated
PCI Backplate: Hex Mesh
GPU Waterblock: EK
EK-FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) - Acetal+EN (Nickel)

As soon as the case arrives I will begin to decide how I want it set up and the order options like flex bay radiator mounts, casters, accessory mounts, etc..

Parts Considering:

Fans: BlackNoise
NB-eLoop Series 120mm B12-P 2000rpm 4 Pin (PWM)
Fan Connector: Swiftech
8 Way PWM Splitter
Pump: Swiftech
MCP35X Series DDC Pump
Pump Sink: Swiftech
MCP35X Series Heat Sink
Pump Mount: Alphacool
13155 Universal Pump Mount for 120/140
Pump Top: Bitspower
BP-DDCTP-BK DDC TOP (POM Version)
Reservoir: Bitspower
BP-WTZM803AGP-BK Water Tank Z-Multi 80-3 Dual G1-4 Model (POM Version)
Reservoir Cap: Bitspower
BP-WTZPC2-BK Z-CAP II W/ G1/4" x3 (POM Version)
Radiators: Alphacool
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 240
Fittings: Monsoon
Free Center Compression Fittings / LightPort Rotary Angles
Tubing: Primochill
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 1/2"ID-3/4"OD

For the time being I will be reusing most of my components from my previous build:

Parts to Reuse:

CPU Waterblock: Enzotech
Enzotech Sapphire Series SCW-REV.A CPU Waterblock

I think this is it for now, at least all that I can think of. My intention is to scope out Steamroller when it arrives and if promising, to upgrade to it or Hasselwell. At any rate I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Links to everything are at Icrontic.

Thanks & enjoy,
csimon

Last edited:
subscribe.

Thanks!

I'll document now what I have in mind for the loop configuration. Res>Pump>240>CPU>GPU>480>Res. I'm thinking the 240 will be mounted in front and the 480 up top. This should invite a minimal amount of warm air into the case and the majority going out (upward). Maybe an extra intake fan in front and a few on the bottom mounted outside of the case. I may need one or more in the side for the vrm's.

I'm looking into filters as well. Demciflex for the front and side and Nexus or equal for the bottom.

Looks pretty good. Your missing the unobtainum cross-flow temp reducing manipulator. Otherwise looking like a fun build.

A joke, but Unobtainium is a fun Wiki.

Darn old CPU block. Dunno if it can deal with the CPU heat. Give it a try.

If the ports for SLI for the GPU blocks work, good. Many GPU blocks use a bit diff orientation for the water connections. They might not connect for SLI.

Tygon anti silver tubing.... Dunno your cost for tubing. A Killcoil is more than plenty, look at cost comparison. I used the same tubing long ago, 2008. No need for it.

Since this is a WC sub-forum, drop all the other stuff in your list. Sure it's gonna be big and pretty, but the focus here is WCing. I really don't care what DVD player your getting.

And enjoy? Reading through that massive list? No enjoy there.

Looks pretty good. Your missing the unobtainum cross-flow temp reducing manipulator. Otherwise looking like a fun build.

A joke, but Unobtainium is a fun Wiki.

Darn old CPU block. Dunno if it can deal with the CPU heat. Give it a try.

If the ports for SLI for the GPU blocks work, good. Many GPU blocks use a bit diff orientation for the water connections. They might not connect for SLI.

Tygon anti silver tubing.... Dunno your cost for tubing. A Killcoil is more than plenty, look at cost comparison. I used the same tubing long ago, 2008. No need for it.

Since this is a WC sub-forum, drop all the other stuff in your list. Sure it's gonna be big and pretty, but the focus here is WCing. I really don't care what DVD player your getting.

And enjoy? Reading through that massive list? No enjoy there.

Done. I took out the extra's and left the WC stuff. I do have an unused killcoil as well as some biocidal stuff that I can use. What 1/2"ID/3/4"OD tubing do you recommend?
The CPU block handles temps very well, I have no idea why they stopped selling. I really don't know of anything better, especially considering flowrates.

Last edited:
The case has left Sun Valley, CA and will arrive on June 4th. It took exactly 5 days to process and assemble just as forewarned (3-5 business days). I think the biggest difference is in the color selections. You're notified as you make selections during order.

You will fall in love with the SM8 case. I know I did. ;)
img0904hl.jpg

OP your list looks good so far and like Con said that is the tubing to have nowadays.

Also before I forget you don't need to change the pump top from the MCP-35x as its already one of the best top performing pumps as a lot of R/D went into it from the manufacturer. Just saving you some bucks there and headaches as you'll void the pump warranty as well.

As for color schemes the popular ones are White/Black, Red/Black, Orange/Black, Orange/Blue to name a few. That includes color tubing, colored sleeves, Fans to LEDs etc.
Good luck on your voyage and can't wait to see some pics! :salute:

Last edited:
OP your list looks good so far and like Con said that is the tubing to have nowadays.

Also before I forget you don't need to change the pump top from the MCP-35x as its already one of the best top performing pumps as a lot of R/D went into it from the manufacturer. Just saving you some bucks there and headaches as you'll void the pump warranty as well.

As for color schemes the popular ones are White/Black, Red/Black, Orange/Black, Orange/Blue to name a few. That includes color tubing, colored sleeves, Fans to LEDs etc.
Good luck on your voyage and can't wait to see some pics! :salute:

Thanks for the advice & well wishes. I've been thinking about staying with the swifty top and getting the white one. Also, white rads w/ black fittings on them and white fittings on the blocks & res.

Next I will be looking into drain ports.

I got my replacement case in yesterday. They shipped an entirely new case to minimize issues in the future. The swap over will happen soon when I have more time and the damaged unit will be shipped back.

Also, I've just placed an order for a few primary watercooling parts as follows:
Bitspower 80mm Water Tank Z-Multi 803AGP - Dual G1/4" Model (POM Version)
Swiftech MCP35X-WT™ 12 VDC Pump
Swiftech MCP35X Series Heat Sink
Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter Box
Alphacool Pump Mount Universal for 120-140mm Fans/Radiators

Apparantly! Sorry I hadn't mentioned it here.

SM8 arrived ...slight damage

Wow. Sorry you went through all that. Sometimes you get the devil shipping your item. It happens unfortunately.

Bummer but hey look at Case Labs A+ customer support imho. That's just great. I am sure having it documented from the get-go helped your case out as well.

You will fall in love with the SM8 case. I know I did. ;)

Beautiful setup Whitecase. Me likey. :D

I felt that since Performance PC's was kind enough to look into the Bitspower 80mm Water Tank Z-Multi 803AGP - Dual G1/4" Model (POM Version)
for me and actually stock it, I would pursue that purchase next. I did warn that this build would take time, and here is my latest advancement,
aside from swapping over to an entirely new case identical to the one posted previously.

Opening boxes to reveal the merchandise ...
iuwbpcq.jpg.png

Here is the pump & heatsink. The TIM on the sink was provided with the sink.
The TIM on the pump is leftover from the EK GPU block since I used MX4 entirely on that project.
I went with the grey on the sink for this build since it had better coverage.
DILsPIJ.jpg.png

Naturally the foot pattern from the sink (72mm) didn't match the universal 120/140 mount so I had to score it for drilling.
sZ8oQXz.jpg.png

Holes drilled with dremel & bit.
dotHyAu.jpg.png

Viola, mounted.
WkRAnq2.jpg.png

Heatsink kit, mount, & reservoir all ready for the case. Could use some sleeving.
QI1pLAJ.jpg.png

Stay tuned, there's more to come in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Back