• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.2 GHz -> 3.2 GHz = $200? But...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phoenix '971

Registered
For this discussion, I will assume Canadian dollars. ($1 Cdn. ~ $0.75 U.S.).

Summary: I am a semi-poor university student considering upgrading to a P4 Celeron setup as opposed to an Athlon or P4 setup which may cost a few hundred dollars more. Not a serious gamer.

I am considering purchasing a used Asus P4B motherboard ($60) plus a Celeron 2.4 GHz (~$140 w/ tax) to replace my Celeron 1.2 GHz, 512MB SDRAM, i815EP motherboard/CPU system. I consider myself to be a casual overclocker, where I select a CPU that has good overclocking potential, and push it as far as it'll reasonably go, with stock or slightly better cooling (i.e., take the side of the case off. :p ). Having a look at the CPU Database, it seems like 3 GHz+ appears to be a reasonable overclock for this CPU.
Now, will this setup give me a reasonable performance boost for the money? Taking into account I don't upgrade all that often; I've been using the above 1.2 GHz setup for over 2 years now.
I understand the Celeron has sub-par performance (I've read the recent Anandtech review) and that one would likely recommend me an Athlon XP or something, but if I were to do that I would need to get a new board and replace all my RAM. Considering the following cost for an "equivalent" Athlon XP 2400+ system:
Asus A7N8X-X - $125
Athlon XP 2400+ - 125
512MB PC3200 - $102
This comes to just over $400 with taxes (tax rate is 14%).
I know that in the first scenario I'm getting a used board but no one seems to be offering a used Socket A board now.
I'm not that serious of a gamer, in fact during semesters I have little time to play games... I run a GF3Ti200 and my favourite games (Mafia, GTA3, VC) run satisfactorily on my setup right now.
Now if I'm able to get $100 for selling my current board and CPU, I can pull this off for about $100 in all... money's a slight concern; I have the money now but I need to pay for courses and textbooks.
What do you think?

You forgot to figure in the cost of RAM with the Celeron system, so you need to add another $100. As much as I love Intel... for your budget... you might be better off with an AMD. Look for a bargain on an Abit NF7 and a T-bred XP1700+ or XP1800+ CPU. You'll probably have to spend another $20 to $30 on a heatsink for the AMD, but if you get the Intel and if your power supply is an older unit, it won't have the extra power connector to make it P-4 compliant, so that will make the Celeron system cost even more if you have to buy a new PS too.

Oh, now I see why you didn't figure in RAM for that proposed Celeron system. That Asus P4B uses SDRAM. Trust me, a Celly with SDRAM will suck big time. Seriously consider something else.

As an alternative... I could spend maybe $50 more and pick up an Asus P4XP-X - an 845D based board with 2 SDR and 2 DDR slots; it also has the option for fixed PCI/AGP frequencies... from what I've heard going past 150 MHz FSB on 845D boards shouldn't pose too much of a problem?
Then I can upgrade my processor and RAM as my budget allows. :)

Don't go with SDRAM with a [email protected] Ghz...it will be as slow as a P4 1.6 Willamette. Remember that for the P4 architecture to be fast, it needs high FSB, dual channel DDR RAM. First, 2.4 Ghz -> 3.2 Ghz would be FSB 133, which is slow. And you are using SDRAM, which is 1/4 of the bandwidth of dual channel DDR. So you have a paper tiger: 3.2 Ghz processor that is as fast as the first pentium 4s.

AthlonXP 1800(retail) + A7V8X-X+256 Mb (Generic) DDR400 would be a lot better. That works out to $86+$86+$51 = $203. Which is close to $200 like in your Celeron+mobo setup. These are Cdn dollars from www.look4computer.com.

If you were to spend $400, you can do either AMD/Intel and expect a better system.

AMD:
Barton 2500(retail): $128
A7N8X: $123
2 x 256 Mb DDR400: $102
Total: $353
Add a cpu cooling upgrade like the Coolermaster Aero or Thermalright SLK900 for about $30 if you want to OC to at least 2.2 Ghz. In that case, get an OEM cpu since you won't need the stock heatsink or the warranty.

Intel:
P4 2.6C $235
2 x 256 Mb DDR400: $102
Asus P4P800: $149
Total: $486

Generally Intel OCs reasonably well with stock cooling. Run that 2.6C at 250 FSB for 3.25 Ghz and the RAM at 5:4 ratio for a speed of DDR400 in dual channel mode. This setup is much faster than the AMD although a bit more expensive.

P4R800-VM for $117 at ncix.com is probably a good bet as well. It is cheaper than the P4P800 and also has a Radeon 9100 IGP which should a bit better than your G3 Ti200. Not sure how well it OCs though.

Back