• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Core 10c cooler than the rest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helix710

Hi everyone, after reading a lot of info here to overclock my old 4770k and finally getting it very close to stable I've noticed that one of my cores is 10c cooler than the rest. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to why? Faulty sensor? Too little thermal paste applied?
Running a nh d15 for reference.
Glad to be part of this site,
Thanks!

sorry for low quality

Last edited:
Seems to me that 1 core is clocked lower than the other 3, check that all 4 cores have the same multiplayer in the BIOS then see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess ill remount it and see what happens. All cores are clocked to 45x in BIOS.

Make sure you have a consistent pressure through all 4 mounting points.

Anyway, as E_D mentionned up to 10c difference could be just normal. Might get more even temps after delid as well, but not sure either... 15c temp drop yes, but the 10c delta between cores might remain (matter of how the CPU is built, were the cores are physically located, usually the ones on the sides get cooler than the ones in the middle).

This is the 4770k die:
4770k die.jpg

Well, could have been like that since the day I got it. Can't remember honestly, always ran it stock because I couldn't get it to OC some years back when I had no clue what I was doing. Then my year old h100i failed a month ago and I switched to a nh d15 and gave OCing another shot, since I installed the new cooler i noticed the ~10c difference on the 4th core.

On my i7 920, first core is always the hottest and last one colest. Wolf be like 74-72-72-69..

Haven't re-seated mine yet. Been about 10 yrs, but since I see nothing excessive, I don't bother messing with it.

Because Intel said so... its more important for the sensors to be accurate towards the throttle and shutoff point than it does at idle. ;)

Back