• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

11 x 177fsb or 9 x 198fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MDA

Could someone enlighten me on why my xp2200+ runs stable @ 177 x 11 = 1.94 @1.8v and now this evening i can get it stable @ 9 x 198 = 1777 @1.7v, but when i raise the multiplier above 9, i get lock ups no matter what the voltage. It is very frustrating as i am underclocking the chips stock speed of 1800, but oooh do i like the memory bandwidth of 394Mhz cas2.2.2.5 1T, wot do reckon would be the better all-round performer?

1.94 with a 177fsb or 1.77 with a 198fsb

I have tried all other multis and none work above 9 unless i lower back down to 177fsb.

here's a little attach of my new found memory bandwidth!!:D

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/Grab4.jpg

lookat my thread on same page as this.same exact things.
ill bet ya $$$ if u relax the timings a bit 200+ will be stable also.

same mobo and chip and same quirk im baffled myself.on stable for me at 9X also anything above 180fsb has to be run at 9X.frieky

im asking whats better also as i dont know.178fsbx11=1958
or 202x9=1824?

ill be watching this thread also.just weird its so similier,and at same time.

Just replied to you thread!! wow what a coincidence!! lol

MDA.

BTW. its my agp which has the trouble reaching above 197fsb its running @ 4 x 100 = 400Mhz at the moment, dont think it go any higher!

im gonna just post in your thread as i dont wanna be all over the place.well at 202X9.5 i was getting video lockups
203x and over i get program crashes this i attribute to ram failier.
180-202 id get video lockups at any voltage,mhz.

i bet u could even drop to default vcore as mine is.well 1.7v since asus overvolts.relax the ram settings might get even higher fsb.
mine wont boot over 207. 2.5-3-3

which is better? mhz or fsb? im stumped myself.

im at 202x9=1818 mhz but man my bandwith scores are insane.almost same as kt400-pc3200 scores

"edit" for some "only god knows y" things i got advice to try 9.5X202=1919 i thought i had but i didnt rock stable! im staying here untill new ram comes in.

Last edited:
for most things, i think the added memory bandwidth would be more beneficial. compare results from somthing like 3dmark or pcmark, that could give you a general idea.

BTW. its my agp which has the trouble reaching above 197fsb its running @ 4 x 100 = 400Mhz at the moment, dont think it go any higher!

??? more like 198/3 = 66? or is there an additional divisor for agp?

correct oc-master.i wish people would realize this.even crappy to decent ram can be ran at extreamly high fsb if the person knows how.with little perfomance loss.

this is my bandwith benchie.i was able to get 9.5 stable@202fsb with this 2100. MDA mabey try another multi but at same fsb settings.after seeing this i might be looking into going corsair 2100 over the 3200. a few points in a bench isnt worth $100 extra.crap i can buy a H20 system with that and get alot more then.

202fsb 4 mooky-new1.jpg

To make it sound even simpler,

I'd rather have ram run at 200MHz with CL2.5 and 2T timings rather than have ram run at 166MHz with CL2 and 1T timings. Its not just the extra MHz on the ram but rather on the effect of the FSB. That FSB increase will overcome any other performance gain and give you the most gain possible.

OC-Master

hmmm. you are making me think i can acheive more out of this ram.. but relaxing it moreso might be a bad idea.

try 2.5-3-3-3 1t or 2t
and see how high you can go.also is many other variables that can stop high fsb.timings just let the ram go higher .doesnt mean the mobo or agp bus will do it.

also up ^ there i stated i might just go 2100 instead of the 3200c2.i dont think its a wise idea now.i just remember how hard it was to get this setting to work. just 3200 gaurentess it will so for the money $40 extra might be worth it.but this just makes the best of what i have now.

ok how do i run my memory at higher FSB speeds? i have PC2100 and i'm at about 148 right now. i was informed that pc2100 tops out at 150. what timings do i change around to get a little more out of it?

if the mobo and agp allows you to go higher is the question also. but i think it should.

in your bios look for the ram timings. set it to 2.5-2-2-2 first and try that. and if it doesnt help goto 2.5-3-3-3.

its usually in the same section in the bios as the cpu settings.

ill warn you tho. as its not gonna damage the ram unless u start cranking alot of voltage into it. just u have to be patient. there is so many factors at work it took me 2 full days of fiddling with ram timings-fsb-multipliers to find just 3 settings i could run at.very frustrating at times.but highly rewarding when done right.

i can get my corsair pc2100 to 166 without even relaxing the timings much, think on the ak31 it's like cas2, 2-2-3 1t. havn't tried any higer as on the ak31 i'd have to use cpufsb or softfsb to get any higer fsb's.

yeh i think ive done 150 or so at C2 with mine.
if it takes softfsb to gain a 10fsb gain at C2.5 its still worth it.

do a bench in sandra bandwith.one at current fsb C2
then highest fsb C2.5 will allow.after u see the differance u wont give a crap about what C2 runs at.

Back