• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600 or 1800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

How r yas?

Which Duron is the better overclocker?

Im building 1 or 2 computers to add to my own for lan gaming so im thinking that a cheap Duron would be a good idea and overclock it as much as i can.
I will probabily use some crucial 2700 2x256mb and an abit nf7 v2.

Suppose all i need to know is will the cpu be able to handle latest games and what kinda speed should i expect from it? ( using a half decent hsf )
Ive never used a duron before so please let me know if u can.

cheers

Since all of them are locked now, I'd say go with the 1600 as well. I have an 1800, but it is unlocked so I can run whatever multi I want. The stock multiplier is too high for any decent front side bus overclock though.

Most of them are B cores also. Mine is a MIUHB....with the cache enabled, it performs just like a B core athlon xp. Good little chips.

-Collin-

IMHO, I'd spend the tiny amount more to get an AXP 2000+. The cache plays in huge, and the multiplier is much more overclocking-friendly. With AthlonXP's so cheap as they are, there really isn't any point in buying a Duron anymore.

I agree....

I think the 1600 is the better of the two...but if an athlon xp is an option, I would strongly advise against the duron. The durons got popular because of the price, and because you can enable the cache. Neither of those two apply anymore, so find a nice athlon.

-Collin-

May I ask where you are going to order it from?

I have a question of my own....are all these new xp2000+ processor thorton cores, or are there still tbreds as well?

-Collin-

The place im tryin to get the xp2000 has none in stock, should i go for the xp2200 or wait on the 2000, dont mind payin a bit extra

Ok hold that result, ive found xp1500-mobile and xp1600-mobiles ( i didnt think there was such a thing)

How good are they?

David Coleman said:
my duron 1800 specs are in my sig.

Hey...I have the same stepping. I booted it up at 200x12 at 1.85 volts the other day and it worked ok. It became unstable due to temps though :(

-Collin-

I have a Duron 1800 also, and it is running at 2.33ghz with no problems at all. 173fsbx13.5multi. I could probably go higher but my ram is holding me back lol.

Gatta Admit tho durons are fun to play with. I have an Old 1200mhz Morgan core and it did 1500mhz, to bad 2 corners of the core are chipped andi t doesnt work anymore, SNIFF, i have a problem with killing cpu's and video cards :cry:

I could have like 4 diff pc's right now if all my dead parts were still working.

CandymanCan said:
Gatta Admit tho durons are fun to play with. I have an Old 1200mhz Morgan core and it did 1500mhz, to bad 2 corners of the core are chipped andi t doesnt work anymore, SNIFF, i have a problem with killing cpu's and video cards :cry:

I could have like 4 diff pc's right now if all my dead parts were still working.
lol - If you need to get rid of any of those broken parts give them to me :) lol, that is if you still have them :) :)

Back