• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2407-HC, Pics and Console Hook-ups, 56k Warning!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mistax said:
=( my lcd hasnt shipped yet i guess im one of the unlucky ones who dont get it shipped out the next day
It happens dude, be thankful they even have any at this point :p. And I did some thinking list night: you might want to throw some cash on a stronger GPU than that 6800GS. If not now, then deff later on down the line.

idk...I had mine on my old rig for several months with a 6600gt and I got no ghosting at all. Regardless, your problem is fixed now so it doesn't really matter.

Mr. Roboto said:
idk...I had mine on my old rig for several months with a 6600gt and I got no ghosting at all. Regardless, your problem is fixed now so it doesn't really matter.
I could open my old relic box and test this screen on my FX5500 and my 6600GT, but nah :p. I like the 7900, besides the fact that it sounds like a hair-dryer in my case, a very quiet hair dryer :p, but I'll probably end up tossing a VF900 on that thing later on and OC it a bit.

-Mobious-

Glad you got it straightened out Mobious! Good thing you didn't send it back yet. :clap:

I'm typing from mine right now! This thing is friggin sweet! I'm going to try some games and movies later.
:attn:

I ordered it Tuesday night and it gets here Thursday moring. That's what I call service. :thup:

Good times....

i think imma wait on upgrading my computer for about another year and when it comes ill update the whole system since im using a 939socket right now and the best i can go it to the x2 and new graphic card with out wasting money on a new board/ram/cpu

This is for everyone who currently has a 2407WFP-HC in front of them (if you don't, you can still do it, but I can guarantee it won't be nearly as awesome ^^): for your PC input, set colors to "PC Mode" and "PC Custom Color". Set red to 85, green to 90 and blue to 95; make sure you're on "Gaming Mode" as well (these are the exact settings I am set to ATM). Now, make sure that your nVidia or ATi settings are set so your colors are the best you can get them (for your viewing). Now, when you open up this pic, have some tissues handy in case your eyes begin to bleed: http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11949205971110312907160az3.jpg. COLOR!!!! Makes your eyes water doesn't it (well, for more reasons that just that ^^); the stock settings were pretty decent, much better than my VX922, but once I set the custom colors and opened that up I was like "OH GOD, MY EYES AREN'T MADE TO SEE THIS MANY COLORS!!! I AM NOT WORTHY!!!" This screen is amazing in of itself, and if the settings I stated above don't do it for you, fiddle around with 'em a bit. Be warned: if you set it to multimedia mode, your head might explode ^^. Multimedia mode maxes out the color on the screen, to the point were paint might as well be dripping down the screen. It's surreal.

-Mobious-

Mobious said:
This is for everyone who currently has a 2407WFP-HC in front of them (if you don't, you can still do it, but I can guarantee it won't be nearly as awesome ^^): for your PC input, set colors to "PC Mode" and "PC Custom Color". Set red to 85, green to 90 and blue to 95; make sure you're on "Gaming Mode" as well (these are the exact settings I am set to ATM). Now, make sure that your nVidia or ATi settings are set so your colors are the best you can get them (for your viewing). Now, when you open up this pic, have some tissues handy in case your eyes begin to bleed: http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11949205971110312907160az3.jpg. COLOR!!!! Makes your eyes water doesn't it (well, for more reasons that just that ^^); the stock settings were pretty decent, much better than my VX922, but once I set the custom colors and opened that up I was like "OH GOD, MY EYES AREN'T MADE TO SEE THIS MANY COLORS!!! I AM NOT WORTHY!!!" This screen is amazing in of itself, and if the settings I stated above don't do it for you, fiddle around with 'em a bit. Be warned: if you set it to multimedia mode, your head might explode ^^. Multimedia mode maxes out the color on the screen, to the point were paint might as well be dripping down the screen. It's surreal.

-Mobious-

Good intentions but the same displays can vary greatly due to environmental conditions and of course... gremlins :p

But seriously, You can put 2 of the exact same displays side by side, give them the exact same settings and hardware powering it and they'll look different. So having said that, I highly encourage everyone to look into monitor calibration and if you are really fussy, buy a Spyder2.

Thund3rball said:
Good intentions but the same displays can vary greatly due to environmental conditions and of course... gremlins :p

But seriously, You can put 2 of the exact same displays side by side, give them the exact same settings and hardware powering it and they'll look different. So having said that, I highly encourage everyone to look into monitor calibration and if you are really fussy, buy a Spyder2.
Even if it wasn't exactly like mine was, the colors are still out-of-this-world. But, you are definitely correct about each screen being different: one might have a heavier pitch towards red, another blue, one might have a stronger or weaker back light, it's all very very small indiferences but still seperations. And then there's the human-aspect which adds even more variables, blah blah blah, the list goes on forever. I was giving my specs as a starting point to fiddle from, cuz, at least for me, the colors are amazing with those settings, and the whites are actually whiter than my printer-paper :p.

-Mobious-

Thund3rball said:
I see you also have a 2405 in your sig and are running a 2900XT :drool:
How would you compare the 2405 w/the 2407-HC?

The 2407HC is much brighter than the 2405. And the blacks are much blacker. I usually run my 2405 at .75 gamma, but on the 2407HC, I had to turn it down further to .6 gamma to make the colors stand out more. I'm going to stick my Spyder on it and calibrate it this weekend.

These things are 24" so you definitely need a beefy graphics card to run them. I'm going to put my 2405 on my crossfire x1900xt setup and put the new 2407HC on my 2900XT setup.

Mobious said:
Well, I did some figuring during breakfast: the monitor has a black-to-white refresh rate of 16ms. 1000ms = 1s, so 1000ms/16ms = 62.5 times-per-second, or roughly 60 times-per-second, which is what the max Hz rating happens to be (60Hz). So, the monitor is able to, at max, refresh 60 times-per-second, making it perfect for 60fps feeds. So, why in the hell would it start to smudge at only 30fps? Answer: the GPU. If the GPU can't keep up with the render, it would be unable to fill in the areas where another color just was, thusly giving a "smudge" effect (like I was getting). Now, with my 7900GS, un-OC'd, it's slightly there, but what this does tell me is that G92 will make this monitor shine. AKA: I got something to look forward to :p. So, in a nutshell: this monitor is kickass, no doubt about it; I strongly recommend a GPU at, or above, par with a 7900GS for best results, however. For even better results: pick up a noise-insulated DVI cable, if you really want to go OCD. I will be running more tests over the next few days, so don't let this thread expire just yet :p.

-Mobious-

PS: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Try turning on triple-buffering to minimize the symptoms you described.

OK, I finally got a chance to get some pics of the "ghosting" I've been complaining about. Note: this is while using my newer, and more powerful, 7900GS GPU.

I apologize in advance to the player who's character name and guild were displayed, this is intended purely for demonstration.

The "ghosting" only occurs durring movement (increased speed of object on screen = increased sevarity of ghosting) and only occurs with a light-colored object passing over a dark-colored region. The reason why I origionaly thought it was the monitor was because of how it ghosts along in a stream when viewed at 60fps (not as blocky chucks as seen here). Also, if you look closely, theres actually 3 objects in the pictures (the real one, a very dark "shadow" and one that is almost completely faded out). I dunno what it really is, so I'm leaving this up for any answers that may be possible (BTW, if you haven't noticed, I've gotten used to it :p, thought I never would). Hopefully this will all be remedied with Yorksfield and a 9800GTX in the coming months.

-Mobious-

mine just came earlier in the day and it is gorgeous first thing i did was open up photoshop and illustrator and wow SO MUCH work space now i can finally do things we out being crammed in to a 4:3 and second off the color are very vibrant but i dont know how to correctly calibarate my monitor =(. Finally WoW 1920x1200 is running on average 35-40fps for me @ high setting with a 6800gs so it seem im set =)

mistax said:
mine just came earlier in the day and it is gorgeous first thing i did was open up photoshop and illustrator and wow SO MUCH work space now i can finally do things we out being crammed in to a 4:3 and second off the color are very vibrant but i dont know how to correctly calibarate my monitor =(. Finally WoW 1920x1200 is running on average 35-40fps for me @ high setting with a 6800gs so it seem im set =)

Congrats! I hope you really enjoy your new baby :D
Some links on calibration below but if you are using your screen for design work I highly suggest investing in a Spyder2. I saw a world of difference between what my eyes thought looked good and what the Spyder did.

http://www.epaperpress.com/monitorcal/
http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

Spyder
http://www.colorvision.com/product-mc.php

Mobious said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4580166121612925274&hl=en, posted this on the Dell forum to see if I could get some answers there, but I'm posting it here so you guys can get a look at it too. Thanks in advance for the interest and the help.

-Mobious-

I saw your screenies earlier but this video is a real clincher, wow! I have never seen ghosting that bad, WTF? I don't know if all the 2407 HCs are like that, but I would talk to a CSR and get that one replaced.

My 2007wfp does not ghost. I can even understand a little ghosting occuring when it comes to LCDs (not that I've ever seen it on mine) but that is WAY past tollerable, and absolutely unacceptable.

Hate to say it... it's probably gotta go back :(

Thund3rball said:
I saw your screenies earlier but this video is a real clincher, wow! I have never seen ghosting that bad, WTF? I don't know if all the 2407 HCs are like that, but I would talk to a CSR and get that one replaced.

My 2007wfp does not ghost. I can even understand a little ghosting occuring when it comes to LCDs (not that I've ever seen it on mine) but that is WAY past tollerable, and absolutely unacceptable.

Hate to say it... it's probably gotta go back :(
THANK YOU!!! Thund3rball, you have saved my sanity (I think...>.<)!!! I was waiting for someone to say "it's definitely the screen dude, get it replaced", or "nah dude, your GPU is a little weak, get a better one and that'll clear up", instead all I've gotten are "well, maybe this will work", and "try this instead" from the Dell people. I knew it was the screen, right out of the box, now all I gotta do is pound my fist and make sure Dell sends me a NEW one and not a refurb. Ummm, BTW, might as well ask: does Dell send you the new/refurb (better not be refurb >.<) unit first, then ask you to send your unit after the new one arrives??? I got 3 weeks, I was JW what to expect. Thank you again Thund3rball, I'll get on the horn with Dell tomorrow and see what I can do. I'll be sure to post NEW pics and video with the new screen (even if I gotta do it from my dorm :D)!!!

-Mobious-

PS: just to add to the disgusting-ness of it all, the monitor smears on the credits of my video :p It's a grey-ish background not a true black, so the "ghosting" occurs there too. After I made it and watched it, I was like "wow, I should video this and add it onto the end AFTER the credits," but nah :D

Last edited:
Back