• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D mark score,, you got to be kidding !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey,, tropicaldawn,,,
Dont get abusive man,,,WTF do you think i am posting in this forum ??
to show off ????
am here to find out if the card is "crap ",,

Am trying to find out why i am not getting a better score when i have 1.5gig of corsair ram, a P4 3.0ghz cpu, x700 se gpu, an expensive tv card and a decent lcd monitor. I presumed the score would give me an indication of what was f*****g up my system, and giving a poor 3d mark 05 score, and a far from crisp tv picture.

evofreak, i have only recently put on a fresh install of xp,,all drivers are up to date, running catalyst 6.8, or whatever the latest is,,,so i am all up to date there.
Cant find any conflicts or problems with the software i am using.
The guys at the happauge forum have my card optimised to the max,, cables are all top of the range and cabled up correctly,,,

Am at a loss as to why,,,

rxkevco said:
Am trying to find out why i am not getting a better score when i have 1.5gig of corsair ram, a P4 3.0ghz cpu, x700 se gpu, an expensive tv card and a decent lcd monitor. I presumed the score would give me an indication of what was f*****g up my system, and giving a poor 3d mark 05 score, and a far from crisp tv picture.

The score is OK. That's because your're using a benchmark that puts the current best cards to their knees, to test a card that was the fastest around three or four years ago(x700SE). That's why the score is so low.

3dmark is basically a graphics card dependant benchmark, so having a TV card, a huge LCD, or 2GB of RAM won't help your score.

And lastly, your score seems so low because you are comparing the results people get with $400+ overclocked Video cards and CPU's against the scores of a $65 card.

Go register at futuremark.com, and search for x700SE scores. You'll see most are between 1600 and 2000, for 3dmark05.

dan

rxkevco said:
Hey,, tropicaldawn,,,
Dont get abusive man,,,WTF do you think i am posting in this forum ??
to show off ????
am here to find out if the card is "crap ",,

evofreak, i have only recently put on a fresh install of xp,,all drivers are up to date, running catalyst 6.8, or whatever the latest is,,,so i am all up to date there.
Cant find any conflicts or problems with the software i am using.
The guys at the happauge forum have my card optimised to the max,, cables are all top of the range and cabled up correctly,,,

Am at a loss as to why,,,

I said your score was crap. I'm sorry if I offended it.

No worries mate,,
Sorry for sounding a bit off,, been a bit ****ed off lately, partly for my own ignorance about graphics cards.
When i bought the pc a few months ago,,got extra memory, audigy zx4 soundcard, and a few other bits and peices including the x700.

Was being a bit impatient and got the x700 only cos it was "supposed " to be better than the BFG GE force fx5500, 256mb, overclocked card that i had in my old pc. The x700 se probably was better,on paper,, but i am positive the tv picture etc was better with the BFG:bang head .

So,, am a bit ****ed off with myself for selling the BFG, and for being impatient and not waiting a few days for the shop to get in a better graphics card for me. Got it all on the never never, so just wanted to get it all home and set up,,, self inflicted ignorance:bang head

I do want to start getting into gaming though, so am gonna need something a bit better to run some of the more recent games,, am fed up with my playstation at the moment, cos i dont very ofton get anywhere near the tv its attached to,, so as i spend most of my time on the pc,, i thought i might as well give it a go soon.
A few of my mates have been putting the pressure on me to join them online etc,,,
Never mind,,

lol, then tell us ur system's specs and we will gladly help u (example of specs=look at my sig or even better and clearer tropicaldawn's)

Its not much of a gamer,, but suits my internet and, music and videos/dvds needs.

Intel p4(D)530 3.0ghz cpu , skt 775, 1mb, L2 cache

Crappy HP mb, ( asterope ?, ATI rs410 chipset) 64 bit, HT,

1.5 gb of corsair ddr2 sdram, 533 fsb.

ATI x700se, 256mb graphics, pci-e (x16) 400/300

Happaugue wintv PVR 350, tv card,

2 x 120gb maxtor ide hdd (7200rpm )

Has 4 internal fans in the case, nothing special, but temps are all on the good side of low, even when pushing it a bit. has an exhaust to the rear of the case which my mate fitted for me.
Huge thermaltake silent fan on the cpu,

Thats about it really,, nothing very special,,,

My laptop is probably faster as its an AMD machine, although i use it solely for using with cubase sx3, for my recording studio needs.

Last edited:
rxkevco said:
I do want to start getting into gaming though, so am gonna need something a bit better to run some of the more recent games,, am fed up with my playstation at the moment, cos i dont very ofton get anywhere near the tv its attached to,, so as i spend most of my time on the pc,, i thought i might as well give it a go soon.
A few of my mates have been putting the pressure on me to join them online etc,,,
Never mind,,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688

Probably the best bang for buck ATM. And it is 4x+ faster than your x700se.

dan

That is a great card but his psu might not be able to handle it. Also if the OP were to buy that card he deffinately should use ATi to control the fan speed.

Definitely the graphics card limiting the score. The X700SE is a poor card even compared to the rest of the X700s. It is only a 4 pipe, 64-bit memory interface card, a marginal step-up even from the X300SE.

Yea a better card will help his 3dmark score, but still no matter his card, he should still be able to watch tv fine. He mentioned it was choppy and unclear. I don't know much about watching tv online, but perhaps his problem lies in his internet, not in his hardware. If he has to stream these shows and he is getting packetloss or something crazy then his speed will be crippled.

Rcmorr0924 said:
Yea a better card will help his 3dmark score, but still no matter his card, he should still be able to watch tv fine. He mentioned it was choppy and unclear. I don't know much about watching tv online, but perhaps his problem lies in his internet, not in his hardware. If he has to stream these shows and he is getting packetloss or something crazy then his speed will be crippled.
maybe is the conection. I usually get choppy picture while watching HDD material on the net that is soupose to be buffer. @ www.gametrailers.com specially this video(on the scene that changes from day to night).

I thought he was watching tv through his tuner, in which case it may be setup incorrectly or have driver issues?

Mr. Chambers said:
I thought he was watching tv through his tuner, in which case it may be setup incorrectly or have driver issues?

Well if that is the case I stand corrected.

As the x700se is apparently " underclocked ", can it be overclocked,, or improved in any way ??
Its running 400/300 at the moment, which i am begining to realise is really **** poor, can it be improved ?

There is no way the missus is gonna let me spend another penny on anything to do with the computer, or the car for that matter ! ( RX7,s are good at emptying your wallet ), which is why i am asking about oc the x700.

As a side note,, i would just like to say, that i really have learned a lot about graphics cards in genral since asking a few questions around here.
Long way away from being very knowledgable,, but have certainly picked up a lot of advice which has helped me to understand gpu,s a lot better.

Thanks to all who have added to this post.
Cheers,, kev.

Yes, you can OC your card. Just download an OCing program like Rivatuner/Atitool, and find the card's limit.

dan

Thanks Dan,
Have just downloaded ATI Tool,, but am a little unsure as to how to use it ??

I dont want to add injury to insult, by frying my card.
As poor as it is, its the only one i have,, Any tips on using ATI tool ??

rxkevco said:
Thanks Dan,
Have just downloaded ATI Tool,, but am a little unsure as to how to use it ??

I dont want to add injury to insult, by frying my card.
As poor as it is, its the only one i have,, Any tips on using ATI tool ??

Just increase the core/memory frequencies by 5-10 at a time, and test using the artifact scanner. When it's OCed too high, it will artifact. When it artifacts, just clock it back down some 10 mhz and it should be stable.

Don't worry, it's very hard to kill/damage a card by plain OCing, it's physical V-mods and/or very high temperatures that can take a toll.

dan

"Dan" is right in that he recommends the 850XT PE. Thats a great card for $120 US dollars. It is at least twice as fast as the Radeon 700. The 700 series was not made for serious games. It would work ok at low reolutions or kids games. The 850XT-PE probably needs at least a 350watt, name brand power supply.

This guy does not have a virus or spyware issue. He has a weak vid card for gaming. Any 800 series card would be a step up. Check back here before buying. Some are dumbed down models with some features disabled.

Back