• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

640 @ 4.0 (250 x 16)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK did some tweeking and here is my prilimanary..

During...

After...

ima run a much longer one tommorow.. so ill let you know if i have stabalized my OC

I hope so cause i was happy at 4ghz :)

Call me crazy, but I can't even get the 640 stable at 4.2Ghz... even at 1.6V :eek: I slapped the 560J back in, running again at 240x18 and this CPU just feels better for some reason. The 640 would give me weird video garbage and my mouse scroller would stop working :shrug: Maybe I need to reinstall the OS for the 640 series? Or perhaps I need to try a 650? The 650 has a better multi for me and this board I think, 260 is about the most FSB I think I can get. Maybe the 640 is fine and it is the board?

nikhsub1 said:
Call me crazy, but I can't even get the 640 stable at 4.2Ghz... even at 1.6V :eek: I slapped the 560J back in, running again at 240x18 and this CPU just feels better for some reason. The 640 would give me weird video garbage and my mouse scroller would stop working :shrug: Maybe I need to reinstall the OS for the 640 series? Or perhaps I need to try a 650? The 650 has a better multi for me and this board I think, 260 is about the most FSB I think I can get. Maybe the 640 is fine and it is the board?

Could be alot of different things. I couldn't get anything out of my DFI and 640.

Most I could get out of the 640 was 4.16ghz on water 1.5125v 16x260.

It didn't matter if I cranked up the voltage or not, the CPU just refuses to run any faster. Its deffinatly not my MB either. If I drop to the 14x I can run 297fsb which again puts me at the max of the CPU.

I think these CPUs are just topping out right around 4.2ghz on water.

I should have mine frozen next week and Ill let you know how that goes. Under a Vapo LS it ran 4.7ghz. So it is very possible that 4.2ish is all we are going to get out of water.

If you are looking at a new CPU, just skip the 650 and go right for the 660.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Lemme post a 4.3ghz pic .. when I get my mobo back ><

Screen shots are nothing. Im sure I could do better with mine. But I was trying for max bus speeds. Noticed afterwards how hard I was pushing the CPU.

315%20copy.jpg

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Prime really stresses the FETS ... as long as its Game / Benchmark stable, why bother with P95 -_-.

cause prime does arithmatic, that some games and benches cant do. therefore, if you want a completely stable cpu, i would run (dual) prime95 for about >24 hours. otherwise, if it floats your boat, then keep your own methodology, but please dont fold, since you might be submitting incorrect results.

P95 has caused nothing but issues on my 640. It will pass p95 but fail superpi.

I lost all hope in p95 and use superpi 32m for stability testing.

If I can pass 32m, a run at 3d03, and do everything else I need to do with out a crash, its stable.

I see what your saying but, Im a busy man and I hate running P95 in the background ... really slows down App. performance heh. I like having stability but all I do is game / open up a few apps ... so P95 isnt a necessary option for me.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I see what your saying but, Im a busy man and I hate running P95 in the background ... really slows down App. performance heh. I like having stability but all I do is game / open up a few apps ... so P95 isnt a necessary option for me.

fair enough, for each their own.

@fishy, does superpi run on both HT processor's? or do i have to run two instances like prime? thanks

{PMS}fishy said:
It only loads part of the CPU. You can turn HT off if you want.

turning HT off isnt really a good stability result either. since with HT off, the cpu can go high in the OC, but with HT on, it isnt as high.

Does anyone know howto make superpi load on both processors to test stability?

ok last test will be >24 hours.. then we can call it stable :)

Higher temps are a reseult of me running my fans quiter..

Back