• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

660TI 192bit vs 670 256bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SplashDown

Registered
I am currently looking at the EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature2 , but its at 192 bit., From all the reading I've been doing my understanding is unless I'm runnin multiple monitor's [surround] with crazy antilasing its not going to affect me, is that true? I'm lookin for someone who has experienced this or really knows. I am on disabilty and the extra 50 or 70 bucks or so for the 670 does make a difference for me. I only play MLB 2k12 and racing simulator's on my 55' plasma and I dont do the war fighting games my hands cant keep up [although I luv them very bad arthritis] anyhow been reading, can overclock memory alone and get real close to a 670 that way, and yes it will be added to my water loop. And before the AMD guys come out and say go 7970 .. lol. I dont want 1. My current 560's SSC DS lower end cards have 256 so its a little confusing. I know there defunct 570's but. still lookin for real world advice to make up my mind. Ive gotta go Tiger Direct cause I got an 50 dollar gift card from brother in law, told him next time make amazon, they always treat me right shipping wise, anyhow any advice appreciated. Im so tired of reading, last month was memory reading, my brain runnin out of room. Thanks guys, Splash

Get off the bits... Performance is as reviews show regardless of bits. You are at 1080p so larger memory bandwidth isnt going to be a bottleneck really. That said, get the best card you can afford.... though Im not saying 7970, get a 7950 :p. Cheaper than a 670 and performs better. There is no reason to not get one. :)

Last edited:
Not on the bits, just wanna know what real difference it'll make to me, and my situation. Don't wanna go fck I should have gotten this 1, thats all. I just wanna make an informed decision and to see if Ive been reading and understanding what Ive been reading correctly.

Since you are gaming at 1080p, you dont really need the bandwidth. What you see is what you get. Its when you get into higher resolutions and obnoxious amounts of AA that the 256bit will help things out. But either get the 670 or 7950 if can/want to afford it. :)

Excuse my medicine head BobN, but isnt that two different cards? I mean not apples to apples? There are CUDA core differences there among other things...like ROPs, correct? How can the differences be attributed to the bandwidth and not the cores/clockspeeds/backend? I mean it DOES make a bit of a difference but not dramatic until you use copious amounts of AA or a higher res, correct?

I did some direct comparisons between Gigabyte's GTX660 Ti OC and their 670 OC.
GTX670: http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...-gigabyte-gtx670-oc-windforce-3x.html?start=5

GTX660Ti (note, GTX670 comparisons in this one are based on generic 670 results, the 670 review is significantly newer):http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...igabyte-gtx-660ti-oc-version-gpu.html?start=5

The extra bandwidth definitely helps, in pretty much everything.
It's not massive, but it makes a difference.

That's what I thought - due to GPUs basically being a bunch of cores working in parallel, I thought memory bandwidth helped a lot, even at 1080p :shrug:

But yeah, like EarthDog said, I believe a 7950 performs on par if not better and is cheaper, but I haven't checked benchmarks lately. The only reason I got a 670 was because I basically got it for $300 when the 7950s were still bouncing around the $350 price point and drivers put them slower than the 670.

Is there a need to go with Nvidia? If not the 7950 is the clear choice...Best card in that price range hands down, not to mention it overclocks like a madman.

GTX670 and GTX660Ti use almost exactly the same core. The only difference is the memory interface and ROPs (The ROPs, I think, hold the memory controllers).
The 680 has more cores than the 670, the GTX660 has fewer cores than the Ti.

GTX670:
GBT670OC-stock-GPUz.png

GTX660Ti:
stock-GPUz.png

Thank you for the clarification. Not sure if the rops have anything to do with memory (but if we divide the ROPS by the bandwidth its both 8, LOL?), I will certainly defer to you on that though as Im entirely too lazy to look anything up. I appreciate the correction! :)

Thanks guys, I'm just not familar with ATI stuff. And Ive always used nvidia chips without problems, Its just what I know and grew up on I guess. I did find a Galaxy 670 for bout same price as EVGA 660ti FTW but its a galaxy, Ive read they've been around since middle 90's but also read the service is impossible, and sucks, cant believe everything u read but knowing what to believe is the trick, lol With my Tiger Direct gift card [50], the 660ti ends up costing me 260 bucks link to it .. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4926008&CatId=7387 and heres the 670 I was lookin at more memory band but clocks alot slower too wondering if worth the trade off. Ive got 2 weeks to figure out. anyhow heres link to the galaxy also ....http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2577833&CatId=7387 I could wait another month and save more but I really dont have it, my wife already bein real cool about this with me being on disabilty forever and Ive been upgrading stuff for past year so I'm pushin my luck as is, lol If anyone married I think u understand my postion. She bought me my 8350 for christmas.But I appreciate all the help guys I really do. I bought my 560 SSC DS bout year ago and they work but still not performin the way I really want on my big plasma and there 256 bit clocks @ 985/2153 far as I can go. Just lettin you know what Im upgrading from. I guess I'm really tryin to get away as cheap as possible as to not get argument goin and still get my performance. Far as AMD cards , I'm just torn, I know they suck for there drivers and updating, just hard to switch over I guess.

Nothing at all wrong with Galaxy Products. We even have a representative that posts here pretty frequently so I wouldnt worry about it.

Money being an issue, I think you need to get over 'what you know' and go 7950. Costs less than a 670 and performs better. Otherwise, that galaxy will be fine.

Thats why I'm here A-Jay , crammin as much info as possible .. lol I read for a month before I got my water cool setup. I just take it in and decipher from there.

What is your point Cul? Im struggling mightily to figure it out, especially within the scope of this thread...?

I can see now how the big resolutions are affected by memory. One of your links there showed it .

The 670 and 680 are similar in performance, at least in that test, I've known 3dMark to be the same as well.

AMD is compared as if the 680 really is higher in performance by alot, and its not a fair comparison is all I'm saying.

The 670 and 680 are similar in performance, at least in that test, I've known 3dMark to be the same as well.

AMD is compared as if the 680 really is higher in performance by alot, and its not a fair comparison is all I'm saying.
Ok, cool...I hope that was helpful to the OP regarding banwidth... :thup: :p

Nno clue what that test is, but Im blaming that odd ball test you chose to show as normally those cards are 5-10% apart in any other review.

Back