• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7700k Burned? Destroyed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hey, So here is my PC spec:
Msi z270 Tomahawk
2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill 3000 mhz Cl15
Gtx 1080ti Titan Gaming x MSI
SSD 850 Samsung EVO

And here is what happend:

I turned on my PC today, and it was working for around 20 minutes.
After it he shuted down.... Just turned off.

When I tried to reset it/Turn On the MOBO LED blinked on "CPU" line...

I started to unplug not usefull things like: Coolers/Graphic Card/1 kit of memory/ SSD.

I tried to start PC again, and actually he did...

I got an warning that Graphic card/memory RAM changed,but then i went to BIOS....
Because cooler was off it was at 3,2GHZ [before i was running it on 4.8 GHZ] and PC was working for around 2-3 minutes,then he SHUT down again and...the CPU LED started to blink again..

I unistalled all comonents from the PC tower,and here is what I've noticed:
THE MOBO [msi z270] stinks...but it stinks around DVI slot.... wich is werid, I never use it even once...I'm using HDMIcable...

the CPU looks fine, i don't see any black points on it, he dosent stinks or so on...
And here is my question:

Would you suggsed me to send back all components to the Vendor and tell him to check it out, or just the MOBO+CPU? What you guys think about it?

Smells to me like something on the motherboard let go if you can smell something "burnt" that's a good sign something went up. Hopefully CPU is OK but you might want to send both and have them check them if they're under warranty

Smells to me like something on the motherboard let go if you can smell something "burnt" that's a good sign something went up. Hopefully CPU is OK but you might want to send both and have them check them if they're under warranty

This is why I'm asking for exactly, If i test them both parts sience the MOBO stinks and CPU- because the debug LED console blinks on it....is this good idea. Or i should send them back entire componentes and ask for check everything.

If you're worried you can send it all back but most likely it's the motherboard but I would send the CPU just as precaution.

Hm. Didn't realize a motherboard company would take an RMA with the CPU still in it. That's good to know for future reference.

Hm. Didn't realize a motherboard company would take an RMA with the CPU still in it. That's good to know for future reference.

I wanted to send those two seperated, each one in the main box....just to ask them for test, because this MOBO stinks very hard around DVI port- wich i don't understeand sience, I never used it...

Just because you were not using the dvi port doesn't mean that a trace or capacitor or something near it on the mb didn't go pop. It sounds like the mb, I would just send that back if you can.

Just because you were not using the dvi port doesn't mean that a trace or capacitor or something near it on the mb didn't go pop. It sounds like the mb, I would just send that back if you can.

PAckage was sent today, im waiting for their answer, but im sure its going to be minimum in end of next week.

I've personally heard mixed things about MSi customer support, but from my experience they shouldn't give you too much trouble about a replacement.

If it stinks around the DVI port, that's actually not too far from the VRMs for the CPU. So I would definitely prepare to send the CPU in as well.

So I recived an email today with some information what is going on, but sadly my GERMAN sucks so ahrd that I don't know it, Can someone help XD?

I think new MOBO is comming back to me, but I'm not sure in 100%.....
Can someone translate XD?
XKZrN6c.png

Indeed. :)
Make sure you send them a nice e-mail when you're all squared away.

Indeed. :)
Make sure you send them a nice e-mail when you're all squared away.

How u can understeand German so well XD? I mean: I am livingin germany but the official-writing language is too complicated for me :X

Lol. While I am multilingual, German is not one of them.
Translator. ;)
It wasn't hard to figure out anyway, just by looking at the billing.

Back