• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GTO Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just got me a eVga 7900GTO, with a VF-900 on it for pretty cheap too :D

got it oc'd to 670/801, gonna go for more, thinkin of bring the case outside this weekend to get some subzero cooling for free

EDIT: 690/830 now, no voltage changes, and idles at 30C and max is 41C

Last edited:
Dan0512 said:
Did you get any artifacts with 2.15v?

dan

I've had this 2.15V voltage at the beginning,as a first step,without flashing the GTX BIOS.The card worked fine at 2.15V and with the GTO BIOS.>without artifacts<But a little bit more heat.But I didn't reached the magically 800MHz MEMclock with the GTO BIOS the maximum was about ~730MHz.Probably the tight MEMtimings,I think. But I was too worried that I will make broken my card at this voltage.Since the default operating voltage of a GDDR3 memory chip is about 1.8~2.0V.Right?
So I have at present 1.92V and the GTX BIOS rev.01. ,with default 660\800 clockrates and without any trouble!
Thanx Dan!You was really helpful!:beer:

Raus74 said:
I've had this 2.15V voltage at the beginning,as a first step,without flashing the GTX BIOS.The card worked fine at 2.15V and with the GTO BIOS.>without artifacts<But a little bit more heat.But I didn't reached the magically 800MHz MEMclock with the GTO BIOS the maximum was about ~730MHz.Probably the tight MEMtimings,I think. But I was too worried that I will make broken my card at this voltage.Since the default operating voltage of a GDDR3 memory chip is about 1.8~2.0V.Right?
So I have at present 1.92V and the GTX BIOS rev.01. ,with default 660\800 clockrates and without any trouble!
Thanx Dan!You was really helpful!:beer:

Sorry the correct reference clockrates are 650/800

I have a problem trying to flash the GTX bios:

Since I don't have a floppy drive on my pc, I use a boot cd.

When I set the boot priority to cd/dvd, and try to boot with the cd. it says "DOS not found. Press any key to retry".

What do I do?

Hey, which drivers do you recomend?

Also I've noticed my card runs in from about 50c to 60c with the stock cooler, is that ok?

Last edited:
Mine runs about 38C at idle overclocked to 700/700 I like the 92.91 drivers. I seem to have no quality issues. When I tried the newest ones I had bad artifacts in STALKER.

reboot said:
Hey, which drivers do you recomend?

Also I've noticed my card runs in from about 50c to 60c with the stock cooler, is that ok?

I'm using the latest NGO tweaked drivers, so far I haven't had any problems. Great fps boost in Oblivion, that's why I got them. The only downside is that they score a bit low on benchmarks compared to the official Nvidia drivers.

50-60 is good. I suggest you bump up the fan speed to 65% if you haven't still, there's virtually no difference in noise, and the card runs a couple degrees cooler. Good airflow under the card helps as well.

dan

Raptord said:
I have a problem trying to flash the GTX bios:

Since I don't have a floppy drive on my pc, I use a boot cd.

When I set the boot priority to cd/dvd, and try to boot with the cd. it says "DOS not found. Press any key to retry".

What do I do?

My guess is that the cd was not burned correctly, or a boot file is missing.

dan

Dan0512 said:
I'm using the latest NGO tweaked drivers, so far I haven't had any problems. Great fps boost in Oblivion, that's why I got them. The only downside is that they score a bit low on benchmarks compared to the official Nvidia drivers.

50-60 is good. I suggest you bump up the fan speed to 65% if you haven't still, there's virtually no difference in noise, and the card runs a couple degrees cooler. Good airflow under the card helps as well.

dan
Hey whats the default speed it seems like 100%, which is very quiet. I'm looking at riva am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
default speed is 49%, riva reads it wrong in the driver settings, but it will read it correctly it the low-level settings.

reboot said:
im confused o_O

where do I set the fan speed at?
Rivatuner > Target adapter > Customize > Low level system settings.
Then you'll get a new window where it allows you to change your fan speed.

thx Ceaser ^_^ I set that to 65% instead of auto. I'm just a big noob.

Do I need to check the box for "restore fan settings after suspended mode?":confused:

my idle temps already dropped from 43 to 39 :)

I keep mine on 100% all the time as I cant hear it over all my case fans anyhow. The Antec 900 case has that huge fan on top that pretty much drowns out anything inside.

reboot said:
thx Ceaser ^_^ I set that to 65% instead of auto. I'm just a big noob.

Do I need to check the box for "restore fan settings after suspended mode?":confused:

my idle temps already dropped from 43 to 39 :)
you dont need to check that box.
Glad to help you out.

Hey it's Ceasar :p

I have mine on 60%, sometimes I put it at 70% when I really need more cooling. I can put it up to around 70-75% until I start hearing it.

I'm having trouble flashing my GTO:

Since I don't have a floppy drive, I burned everything in "flash pack" on a bootable CD-RW With Nero, with emulation of a 1.44 MB floppy. I rebooted, went into the BIOS and set it to boot to the CD-ROM, and everything seems like it's going fine until I type in "nvflash M79GTO.rom -4 -5 -6" without the quotes of course. Now here's the problem: It says unrecognized command. I tried a few things, like putting exec or run in front of it, or adding .exe to nvflash, but it doesn't work. What do I need to do?

Back