• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About getting my bios screen on my Dell Dimension 4600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jordanllgg50

I cannot seem to get the blue bios screen on my Dell Dimension 4600. I just think that my computer is just too old to get it. I guess that the blue bios screen is on other Pc's and not mine! Oh well. Oh by the way, when I turn on my computer I only get F2 which is Setup and F12 which is the boot menu. My bios is completely different then the blue screen bios. But I guess that is all right. But I can still get into my bios by pressing my F2 key at startup. Then I go to my bios selection, but I can't change the frequency or the Ratio I would say of my bios. It is different a little bit on my computer. As for my bios, it has 2 choices to choose from. It says Normal and Compatible. My computer was set to Normal as the default, but is it alright to choose Compatible? I chose this before, but my computer sort of crashed on me. That wasn't good at all. But what I believe is to make the computer run more faster and efficient is by selecting the Compatible option. Is that right or not? I would like to know a little bit more please about this Normal and Compatible option in my bios settings? Okay? Because I really want to use my computer with ease and speed, like when I am using the internet. For example, when I am listening to Real Audio sites that I like, I click on the song that I want to listen to. Then it takes like forever to load up the Real Audio on my Real Player. Then when the music starts playing, I see that the bar is not really loading all the way. This is probably because my computer doesn't have enough ram in it. I also tried using Clock Gen, but it did not work for me at all either. I clicked on Apply Selection, restarted my pc, but I did not notice any speed up changes. That's not good to me at all. But really, I am not even sure on how to use Clockgen at all! So can you give me like the easiest tutorial on how to use it for me? Because I would really appreciate that a lot. So thank you on that note. Also, I just upgraded from my Windows XP Home Edition to Windows Vista Ultimate and I like the look and design of Vista! I decided to upgrade to Vista Ultimate cause I got sick of my boring XP. But when I upgraded to Vista, my ram was still at the same size which is usually about 512 MB of Ram. But I wish I had more ram then that! Well anyway, that's mostly what I want to know from you. So just let me know what Compatible and Normal is for my bios settings. Because I really know to myself that there is a way to change the bios selection in my setup menu somehow. So that's it! Thanks a lot. :shrug:

BIOS is F2. Dell 4600 is a home computer. No over clocking :(

Give it 1 gig of RAM, and it will make you happier. 2gig is MAX.

Some 4600's have 4 RAM slots...

As far as the realplayer thing, the sites are probably just sending you enough bits to keep the song playing, along with some extra data in reserve. Once that cache is full, they'll wait until you've consumed (listened to) more of the data before sending you more. It saves on bandwidth costs since they don't have to serve the whole song to people who may only listen for a few moments.

About my bios screen, continued

I am really upset and mad that I cannot overclock my computer. What is up with that? I mean there has got to be a way to get into my bios screen. But I cannot seem to figure out how on how to do this. I really had it up to here. You have to really help me out on this, I press F2 but I cannot even change the bios! I mean this should always work with Dell Dimensions like mine which is 4600. But I don't have that blue bios screen. I also tried to use ClockGen, but it did not work at all for me. I adjusted it a little bit and then I went to click on Apply Changes, but nothing happened! So after I did that, I restarted my computer and nothing changed. I mean this is ridiculous. Ok? I am not happy about this at all. :temper: I am very mad and upset. :cry: But if I can overclock my CPU, I will be happy again, that's for sure. :) But maybe I can add more more ram by opening my computer. But I am not good at fixing the inside of computer. Do you know how much extra ram would really cost? Because I have a friend of mine who knows more about this stuff then I do by a mile. He knows how to add more ram and stuff like that. So where can I buy ram that is pretty cheap? Give me some places that would sell cheap ram for me. All right? Because I would appreciate that very much. I just wonder why most of these computers out there have a blue bios screen and I do not have one. That's not really fair at all! I mean if I bought some new ram, is there any easy way to install it by not getting zapped? Because I have only about 512 Megabytes of ram. And I always had 512 MB of ram. I mean that is really not enough for me. I want about 3 GB of ram or more that accommodates my computer to make it run nice, fast and at an efficient speed. So if I can't overclock at all, is there a way to make my Cpu run faster? I had XP Home Edition before, then I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. I like Vista better than XP, cause I got just tired of my XP before. But I still have the same amount of 512 Megabytes of ram, which is not good for me. I can't even play Ps2 games on Pcsx2, this great emulator which works great for mostly for everyone. But it does not work good for me at all, let me tell you. I start to load a game, and my computer starts to crash. It gets really annoying when this problem happens for me. But if I got more ram installed in my computer, then my Cpu speed of Pcsx2 would work just fine, right? Then I could be playing it at a perfect speed that does not lag at all. Also can you give me some helpful ways to make my whole computer run faster in general? Because I would like some tips about this from you. Well anyway just let me know what I can do about this situation that I am in, and please cheer me up about it. Because I would defiantly be happier with a more stable computer, that's for sure. So let me know what I can do about this. Once again, thank you. :comp:

For the BIOS, try F1, F10 or Del but still won't be able to OC, sorry. :(

Actually, the blue BIOS screen is used more with earlier PCs.

When you press F2 you are getting into the BIOS. Most Dells are not going to let you overclock. Getting more ram is going to be your best bet for improving performance. Dells are not really designed for enthusiasts, they are made for the average person.

If you want to overclock you are going to have to look into getting some new equipment.

Back