• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed on nVidia to support dual monitors at 2560 X 1440

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

I am now the proud owner of two Dell U2713HM monitors.

Right now I am running an AMD Radeon 6870 video card that does everything I need it to do *except* run both of these monitors at 2560 X 1440 resolution. It is forcing the second monitor to run at 1920X1080 (the second DVI Port is not DL-DVI).

I'd appreciate any advice this forum can offer w/regards to an nVidia solution.

Additional Information:

• My MB is an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 w/ 2PCI Express 3.0 x16
  • My MB also has integrated video. I tested using onboard video with my discrete AMD card and the max resoution via HDMI was 1920X1080. :(
  • I am also running Windows Media Center with an HD Homerun Prime. WMC does not recognize the DisplayPort on my AMD card as HDCP complaint. I'm hoping that an nVidia Card will fare better, so Displayport may be an option... but 2X DVI will give me greater confidence.
  • I'm a programmer and I rarely game these days. If given the choice, I would opt for a cooler/quieter video card over a hot over-clocked gaming card.

I'm checking prices at NewEgg and it appears that an nVideo card with 2X DL-DVI will set me back $300.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I think you need a DisplayPort adaptor for the second monitor.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 127
My existing discrete video card has a displayport, HDMI, and 2X DVI ports. One of the DVI ports is DL-DVI.

My primary can be Displayport or DL-DVI. Unfortunately, Displayport is not an option in my scenario because I like using WMC and it doesn't recognize it as HDCP complaint. It's a WMC issue with AMD video cards.

A displayport adaptor won't help me.

That leaves me with DL-DVI... which is not a problem. It has no issue with 2560X1440.

My second monitor is on the second DVI Port, which is not DL-DVI. Therefore it doesn't have the necessary bandwidth for 2560X1440.

My hardware isn't capable of what I want... thus the quest for a new discrete video card.

Hmmmm.... I just tested and I *can* use both the DVI-DL and Displayport! I was wrong.

Now I need to see whether or not WMC will recognize it as HDCP complaint if I use the DVI Adaptor cable.

Thanks for the tip Wingman!

My video card is a 6850... not a 6870.

It says that it *does* support HDMI 1.4a, but after trying multiple HDMI cables, it does not offer a resolution higher than 1080p. Here's a link to my video card.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=0001&pid=497&lid=1

The displayport w/ Dual-DVI option would be perfect, except WMC does not consider it to be HDCP complaint (even though it is).

Wow I dont know what to say it looks like your stuck. You already tried a DisplayPort adaptor?

Not the best option but if its not for gaming you could just throw in the cheapest AMD card you can find in the second pci-e slot for the second montor.

I don't have a displayport adaptor... it looks like an adapter for DL-DVI may be pretty pricey. DL-DVI is necessary for 2560X1440 resolution.

The irritating thing is that my hardware *should* support what I want it to do, but I'm stuck with Windows Media Center and there is a known issue with HDCP support with AMD displayport.

Basically, I'm hosed by useless DRM and MSFT has all but shelved Windows Media Center.

/sigh

Not the best option but if its not for gaming you could just throw in the cheapest AMD card you can find in the second pci-e slot for the second montor.

Yup... that's another option too.

I'm going to see if people running WMC and a HDHomerun Prime are having any luck with nVidia Displayport. If they are, I'd rather run a single video card (less noise/heat).

A cheapo video card is pretty minimal on the noise (there's passive available) and heat, and lighter on your wallet. I'm talking like 6450 range of power.

It's not the path that I originally wanted, but I suppose I could also pick up a second Sapphire Radeon 6850 for < $100.

That would give me the ability to use crossfire... though I don't know that it would give me any advantage (I rarely game).

I have a 700W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018 and I suppose this gives me the most concern.

I do a lot of work on this machine now and I no longer OC it. I have two optical drives, two mechanical HDs, an SSD drive. The only slots in use are for my video card and a USB 3.0 add-on.

Thoughts? Is this a bad idea without migrating to a new PSU? If needed, I can remove one of my optical drives.

Thanks again!

Back